(Electro-rock?) - “Rise” looking for mixing advice, etc.

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Rothgarr

23 Mar 2018

A song I wrote last month called “Rise”, I also for the first time made a (ridiculous) video for a song I wrote as a social experiment.

I'm happy with the song itself, but I feel my songs never "sound" as good as they should, especially when I hear other people's compositions in Reason. I'm not sure if it's my levels, or my layering, my effects, etc. I feel like other compositions sound so much "fuller" while using fewer tracks.

So I'm looking for even the most basic of suggestions!

Here's the song:

PSoames

08 Apr 2018

Really nice composition, very pro-looking video.

Like your track "Fall", I feel the mix matches the song. Here's a question for you, did you leave your instruments dusty on purpose? Would cleaning them have made the video better?

Nerveclinic

10 Apr 2018

I like the song a lot. Nice pad/string sounds sweet melody. If you are looking for minor criticism focus on the punch in the drums. They sound a bit washed out. Use some compression to give them a bit more punch, maybe a bit less reverb. Otherwise you are on the right path.

Rothgarr

12 Apr 2018

PSoames wrote:
08 Apr 2018
Really nice composition, very pro-looking video.

Like your track "Fall", I feel the mix matches the song. Here's a question for you, did you leave your instruments dusty on purpose? Would cleaning them have made the video better?
Thanks!

And hah hah, about the dust. The funny thing is, I didn't use ANY of that equipment (except for the iMac). None of those keyboards, no guitar, nothing in the rack. For composing, I use an 88 key controller in my living room and the iMac. All that gear sits in my basement -- most of it doesn't even work any more, but I still can't get myself to toss it out or get it fixed, etc. That's why they are dusty -- neglect.

I made the video using my iPhone on a tripod, so it was a lot of me pressing "record" on my phone, and then running in front of the camera to "air keyboard" all the parts. The other scenes I recorded as filler, and I just HAD to get my old black and white Mac in there.

Rothgarr

12 Apr 2018

Nerveclinic wrote:
10 Apr 2018
I like the song a lot. Nice pad/string sounds sweet melody. If you are looking for minor criticism focus on the punch in the drums. They sound a bit washed out. Use some compression to give them a bit more punch, maybe a bit less reverb. Otherwise you are on the right path.
Thanks! I wouldn't even know where to begin on the compression. Is there a tutorial you like or can recommend?

candybag

13 Apr 2018

I'd say it's the percussion, kick and snare that need more presence. Kick and snare could be tighter, don't know if compression would fix this, rather get better samples from the start. But then again, this could be the sound you were looking for?

Also, try more courage with the high end to open things up :) I could try and mix it for you if you send me the stems.
Yamaha HS7 - HD600 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Akai MPK261 - AT2050 - Auralex Project 2™ Roominator Kit
9900K - 16 GB - 3xXB270HU - GTX 1080 ti

Nerveclinic

13 Apr 2018

Rothgarr wrote:
12 Apr 2018
Nerveclinic wrote:
10 Apr 2018
Thanks! I wouldn't even know where to begin on the compression. Is there a tutorial you like or can recommend?
Well I only know what I do.

1) I use the Softube FET Compressor, set it to Drum Bus Pumping. Make sure the input and output are hot on the meters.

2) Open an M class Equalizer and roll off a sliver of the low end, by turning Param 1 all the way to the left and the gain all the way to the left and the bottom knob to about 3 O'clock. This removes low end distortions and allows you to turn up the drum louder.

3) I add a cakewalk RE-2A leveling Amp at the end, use the drum patch, set the Peak reduction to about 60 and the gain to about 50. (but you have to play with it)

All this will allow you to turn up the drums louder with less distortion.

I also use the Synapse GQ-7 to remove some frequencies that are just clouding up the sound.

Nothing I've seen on video, just something I've learned over the years.

Good luck

Rothgarr

13 Apr 2018

Thanks! That's all new to me, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll also search around for video on basic compression in Reason - there's gotta be something out there.

Nerveclinic

13 Apr 2018

Rothgarr wrote:
13 Apr 2018
Thanks! That's all new to me, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll also search around for video on basic compression in Reason - there's gotta be something out there.
You will be stunned what a difference it makes, it's like walking around a room in the dark and then suddenly turning on the lights.

• Information