(ProjectSAM, Nostromo, Fritz, Ambi Generators) - Catacombs

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2018

So lately I've been feeling a bit stuck creatively. I needed to try something completely different compared to my usual way of writing and just play around and have fun.
For this I've used some of those REs that I own but haven't explored or used enough. This track was more about creating an atmosphere rather than writing a proper song with melodies and normal song structure.

I don't know if this goes under ambient, soundtrack music or something else. I don't really care either.

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 17 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2018

I'm digging it. Pretty sinister!

I recently made a "soundtrack" style track as well. It's always nice to try new things, learning , experimenting, etc

modecca

13 Mar 2018

I wanted to see how well this would work in a movie.
Really cool change of pace and nice touch with that gorgeous sound @ 1:24!

🔗💥

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2018

aeox wrote:
12 Mar 2018
I'm digging it. Pretty sinister!

I recently made a "soundtrack" style track as well. It's always nice to try new things, learning , experimenting, etc
Thanks.

I'll probably experiment a little bit more with these sort of "sound collages" just to break out from my usual creative patterns. It's fun.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2018

modecca wrote:
13 Mar 2018
I wanted to see how well this would work in a movie.
Really cool change of pace and nice touch with that gorgeous sound @ 1:24!

Cool. :) There's definitely a sense of doom and gloominess that goes together with the music.

I'm guessing you're referring to the sprinkly sound at 1:24 (from your video, timing wise). That's an Ambi generator wind sample played through Fritz.

The low rumbling sound that plays throughout the whole track is a vinyl crackling sample from Ambi, down pitched, low pass filtered and compressed. I thought that was pretty fun. :D

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2018

Nicely done! Really moody and dark. I love the imagery it evokes in the mind while listening.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2018

Despondo wrote:
30 Mar 2018
Nicely done! Really moody and dark. I love the imagery it evokes in the mind while listening.
Thanks, appreciate it :)

MannequinRaces

31 Mar 2018

Very nice! Great sounds, textures, eerie vide. Getting out of a rut is good! :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Apr 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
31 Mar 2018
Very nice! Great sounds, textures, eerie vide. Getting out of a rut is good! :)
Thanks. Yes sometimes it's nice to switch things up a little.

PSoames

01 Apr 2018

Very atmospheric. I can feel the dread.

It is fun doing this sort of thing. Not only do we get to play with sounds we might not use in our music, but we get to experiment with effects that make the environment real and immersive, using story telling devices such changing reverb settings to simulate transferring from one space to another.

Very nice.

Nerveclinic

07 Apr 2018

Very rich deep sound. Totally sound track. Well produced.

TheGodOfRainbows

07 Apr 2018

Great track Tritone. How do you like ProjectSAM? I just got it on sale and I think for $50 it is excellent.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention my main complaint, which is lack of sample start control. It would be nice on some instruments to shave off the first few milliseconds of the sample to help add variation and avoid the 'machine gun' effect. And, the natural attack sometimes is too slow. To me, that one control when dealing with sample based instruments is very important.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Apr 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
07 Apr 2018
Great track Tritone. How do you like ProjectSAM? I just got it on sale and I think for $50 it is excellent.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention my main complaint, which is lack of sample start control. It would be nice on some instruments to shave off the first few milliseconds of the sample to help add variation and avoid the 'machine gun' effect. And, the natural attack sometimes is too slow. To me, that one control when dealing with sample based instruments is very important.
Thanks.

I agree with your critism of ProjectSAM. It's good for background strings, not so much as a lead instrument because of the slow attack and the "machine gun" effect.
To be honest I haven't used it much. It's been collecting dust for the most part, not necessarily for a lack of quality or anything. I've simply been more drawn to synths instead. This is the first finished track I've used it on. I mainly bought it for the strings. I do like the darker tone on the strings. It's very different from Stringwerk which is brighter and more upfront in the mix which I find better for leads.
The other stuff included is ok imo but on the whole the RE is pretty limited. But that can also be a good thing when you just want reach for some orchestral sounds quickly and not get stuck in endless articulation/tweaking options . I don't really write much orchestral stuff though.

• Information