(Downtempo / Lounge) The Blue Room

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
phoken

06 Mar 2018

Hello Reasontalk community,

here's a thing i made. It's called "The Blue Room", do not ask me why, i have an incredible hard time coming up with names for my tracks, maybe i should go for "Track 02" or so... Anyhow, i was struggling for quite some time with this one, beginner that i am. During the last months i must have heard this one hundreds of times, i am not able to judge it anymore. Maybe someone from this community with a fresh set of ears can give it a listen and tell me what you think. As i did the mixing using headphones, only, it might be that the mix has room for improvement. Lots of room.

I was inspired to do this track (read: stole some ideas) by other great downtempo/lounge tracks like:
  • Poldoore - The Northern Compass
    Sun Project - The Mission
    Icehouse - Dont Believe Anymore (Ivan Gough & Colin Snapes Cafe latte mix)
So, ' nuff said,here it is:

Thanks for taking the time to listen

Happy producing everyone!

Cheers,
Phoken

sgiallo

06 Mar 2018

I like it!

The change around 2.47 could be improved with a better transition, imho.

Regarding the mix, I am far from an expert, but I think something is missing in the mid-low section.

I didn't like the sound around 3.40, which seems to me a bit out of the song.

I love the pad and the drum.

Good job overall!

phoken

07 Mar 2018

Hi,

first of all, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment it, man. These days most guys (me inluded) just post shit and do not ever take the time to listen to others stuff, let alone leave a comment. That being said, i think to some extend i agree with you: I always had the feeling that something was missing in the track, and with the "...something is missing in the mid-low section...." i see that i an not mistaken. Question is, is ist just bad mixing (too much mid/low freqencies cut out) or is there maybe another layer of pads os bass sample missing?

For transition around 2:40. on the other hand, personally i am quite happy with it. But i guess that's a matter of personal taste, glad to hear another opinion though.

Finaly, i am not sure what sound you are refering to at 3:40... the high bell that can be heard in the background or the gated, echoed thingy that follows?

Man, again, thanks for your input and the like on SC. Appreciated it and will, for sure, give your tracks on SC a listen.

Cheers

Phoken

sgiallo

07 Mar 2018

phoken wrote:
07 Mar 2018
Hi,

first of all, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment it, man. These days most guys (me inluded) just post shit and do not ever take the time to listen to others stuff, let alone leave a comment.
You're welcome!
phoken wrote:
07 Mar 2018
That being said, i think to some extend i agree with you: I always had the feeling that something was missing in the track, and with the "...something is missing in the mid-low section...." i see that i an not mistaken. Question is, is ist just bad mixing (too much mid/low freqencies cut out) or is there maybe another layer of pads os bass sample missing?
Preliminarily, I am not an expert.. but if I were you, I would try to i) raise the kick and the bass and ii) add another layer of pads (one octave down) or a bass sample (one octave up)...

phoken wrote:
07 Mar 2018
For transition around 2:40. on the other hand, personally i am quite happy with it. But i guess that's a matter of personal taste, glad to hear another opinion though.
yep, sure, it's personal taste :)
phoken wrote:
07 Mar 2018
Finaly, i am not sure what sound you are refering to at 3:40... the high bell that can be heard in the background or the gated, echoed thingy that follows?
More precisely, it's a 3.46...
phoken wrote:
07 Mar 2018
Appreciated it and will, for sure, give your tracks on SC a listen.
Thanks man, look forward to hearing your comments!

• Information