(Moody/Melodic/Electronic) Dark Matter

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2018

Hey guys,

The ES01 RE dropped right in the middle of my deep dive into learning anything and everything about Reason's SSL. I wrote this song and used it as my Frankenstein to experiment. Very pleased with the end result.

As always, I'm open to any and all comments, criticism, likes, dislikes, etc. so I can keep learning and growing. This one is called Dark Matter.

Enjoy.

Wickline

02 Mar 2018

Very cool synthwavy sound. Really like the arps. And letting the delay ring out with some dispersion on the arp was a nice touch. I’m guessing echo was used?
Only thing I would maybe change would be the upper bass synth patch. Tonally it didn’t seem to mesh as well as the rest of the track. Might just be me or what I’m used to hearing.
Overall great vibe and the drums are super crisp and clear. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Auryn

02 Mar 2018

strangers wrote:
01 Mar 2018
Hey guys,

The ES01 RE dropped right in the middle of my deep dive into learning anything and everything about Reason's SSL. I wrote this song and used it as my Frankenstein to experiment. Very pleased with the end result.

As always, I'm open to any and all comments, criticism, likes, dislikes, etc. so I can keep learning and growing. This one is called Dark Matter.

Enjoy.

So this is another great track, I really appreciate the way the melody builds. The beat is sparse but effective which really lets the synth melodies take center stage. The effect is kind of hypnotizing but it might have been nice to punctuate with an abrupt cut before you introduce a new part. You did this very effectively in "Reality" where you used voice samples to "fill the hole" so to speak. It momentarily refocuses the attention of the listener.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

strangers
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2018

Wickline wrote:
02 Mar 2018
Very cool synthwavy sound. Really like the arps. And letting the delay ring out with some dispersion on the arp was a nice touch. I’m guessing echo was used?
Only thing I would maybe change would be the upper bass synth patch. Tonally it didn’t seem to mesh as well as the rest of the track. Might just be me or what I’m used to hearing.
Overall great vibe and the drums are super crisp and clear. Great job!
Thanks man! The arp section came to be by accident. Once they happened it was an easy decision that they were not being left out. I forget exactly what I did to them but it surprisingly wasn't very much. The bass was interesting to create. I layered 3 different bass sounds that don't get in the way of the kick nor does it crowd/mud the mix. I'll go back and see if I can adjust it. What may have happened was the upper bass synth was the first patch I was working with. Repetition and being the first element in the writing process probably clouded my judgement if it doesn't quite fit together.

Drums were very easy. One kick, one clap, one snare and hats. I really hit the original drum sounds with the SSL's EQ pretty hard to get the sounds I wanted. Are you working on a track for the ES01?

Auryn wrote:
02 Mar 2018
So this is another great track, I really appreciate the way the melody builds. The beat is sparse but effective which really lets the synth melodies take center stage. The effect is kind of hypnotizing but it might have been nice to punctuate with an abrupt cut before you introduce a new part. You did this very effectively in "Reality" where you used voice samples to "fill the hole" so to speak. It momentarily refocuses the attention of the listener.
Thanks for the support. As for the abrupt cuts before new parts, you read my mind lol. You may be able to hear (with the drums) that I partially began to go that route and then changed my mind since I didn't want it to seem like I followed a structure from the previous track I came up with for your awesome Oberon refill. Those breaks do create anticipation so I'll surely be incorporating them here and there in new songs.

Wickline

03 Mar 2018

strangers wrote: Are you working on a track for the ES01?
Ummm nooo..... did I miss a contest or something again? Going to go for a look around the forum. I’m always down to work on new projects.

strangers
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2018

Wickline wrote:
03 Mar 2018
Ummm nooo..... did I miss a contest or something again? Going to go for a look around the forum. I’m always down to work on new projects.
Sorry about that! I should have linked the contest thread. Maybe it's time for the forum to open up a contest section so things like this aren't missed. The more the merrier!

Wickline

04 Mar 2018

strangers wrote:
Wickline wrote:
03 Mar 2018
Sorry about that! I should have linked the contest thread. Maybe it's time for the forum to open up a contest section so things like this aren't missed. The more the merrier!
I started a topic a short while back making that very suggestion. Hey said it’s being discussed.
I’m off work tomorrow so I’ll be working on a song all day!

Wickline

08 Mar 2018

Just posted my entry up! Thanks again for telling me.

strangers
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2018

Wickline wrote:
08 Mar 2018
You're welcome. Make sure you submit your entry through the submission form, if you haven't already.

Wickline

08 Mar 2018

strangers wrote:
Wickline wrote:
08 Mar 2018
You're welcome. Make sure you submit your entry through the submission form, if you haven't already.
Yep! did that right after uploading to Soundcloud.

• Information