80s Retrowave - "JoyRide" - No VSTs or REs

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2018

Well, ok - ONE rack extension used - Propellerhead's PX7, otherwise everything else is Subtractor and Thor, NN19, NNXT. The drums though are not from the FSB, except for the latin percussion patch near the end. Used the EQ and comp from the SSL, the ancient red chorus and unison, the RV7000, and the Echo. That's pretty much it. Even finished it off in Reason, no external processing.

I LOVE 80s MUSIC.

joyridescreen.jpg
joyridescreen.jpg (501.65 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2018

Micha1973

11 Feb 2018

Great job!
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

winkie

11 Feb 2018

Very cool bud. Perfect.

winkie

11 Feb 2018

Physical!

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2018

winkie wrote:
11 Feb 2018
Physical!
Lol, I see you noticed the inspiration. ; ) :thumbs_up:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

winkie

11 Feb 2018

: ))

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Feb 2018

aeox wrote:
10 Feb 2018
OMG This song turned me into this kid! Awesome! Well done.

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2018

Thx 🙂
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EthicistBeats

14 Feb 2018

YoooOooo this is so doopee ... reminds me of playing GTA Vice City (def my fav version haha)

Sooo epic ...

What are the name these patches ?! Sounds so 80's!!!

perfect. :D

Edit: tried to decipher the names...might be able to find 'emby the picture but by the names (and me squinting) it looks like you may have programmed the patches yourself ... kudos :thumbs_up:

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2018

EthicistBeats wrote:
14 Feb 2018

What are the name these patches ?! Sounds so 80's!!!

perfect. :D

Edit: tried to decipher the names...might be able to find 'emby the picture but by the names (and me squinting) it looks like you may have programmed the patches yourself ... kudos :thumbs_up:
Nothing fancy - you'd be surprised at the outright bare-bones simplicity of some of my patches. The PX7 patches are straight up presets from the 'Legacy Select' folder - 22. AC.Piano 7, Bronze Age, BASS 1 (ROM 1A), the Subtractor patch "Fullerstrings" from the FSB, tweaked. An NNXT brass patch called "polyfusion II" from the FSB, again slightly tweaked. The rest are custom and just so simple it's embarrassing. I'll post them when I get a chance.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2018

Here are my custom patches. Again, they're really REALLY simple, and any EQ/COMP was done on the SSL. Also, as they did in the 80s (so I hear) put reverb on EVERYTHING.

miscellaneous things - I used a TR-707 kick and a DrumTraks snare with gated reverb, Simmons toms (my fav), and perc from random 80s drum machines. Doesn't really matter which ones, but they have to be from the 80s. My rule of thumb is if you want to sound 80s, use sounds that are from the 80s, DUH lol. Goes for synths too, you don't necessarily have to use 80s emulations, but if you use modern synths, you shouldn't play/program current riffs, so no stabby supersaws, deadmau5 plucks, or wubwubs please. No risers or swooshes either. Kick drum is not king, the snare is. And layer/combine your reverbs and use reverb impulses from 80s reverbs, like the AMS, Roland SRV2000 (my fav), or Lex224.

I have no idea if that's how they did it in the 80s, but that's how I do it, and it sounds 80s to me, so good luck.
Attachments
HURRICANE JOYRIDE CUSTOM PATCHES.zip
(381.99 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Wickline

15 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:Here are my custom patches. Again, they're really REALLY simple, and any EQ/COMP was done on the SSL. Also, as they did in the 80s (so I hear) put reverb on EVERYTHING.

miscellaneous things - I used a TR-707 kick and a DrumTraks snare with gated reverb, Simmons toms (my fav), and perc from random 80s drum machines. Doesn't really matter which ones, but they have to be from the 80s. My rule of thumb is if you want to sound 80s, use sounds that are from the 80s, DUH lol. Goes for synths too, you don't necessarily have to use 80s emulations, but if you use modern synths, you shouldn't play/program current riffs, so no stabby supersaws, deadmau5 plucks, or wubwubs please. No risers or swooshes either. Kick drum is not king, the snare is. And layer/combine your reverbs and use reverb impulses from 80s reverbs, like the AMS, Roland SRV2000 (my fav), or Lex224.

I have no idea if that's how they did it in the 80s, but that's how I do it, and it sounds 80s to me, so good luck.
Awesome song dude. Just recently started listening to this kind of stuff. And thanks for the patches! I’ll be experimenting with them tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

EthicistBeats

15 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Here are my custom patches. Again, they're really REALLY simple, and any EQ/COMP was done on the SSL. Also, as they did in the 80s (so I hear) put reverb on EVERYTHING.

You're a legend for that response hahaha ... yea i always have a loud ass kick thati need to turn down hahaha .... im going to try keeping my snare king ... remeber some interview of Mixedbyali (kendrick lamar engineer) saying he always keeps his snares louder, a trick he picked up from dr dre ... but then my kicks are always too quiet hahaha ... i come more from a hip hop background ... but i LOVE 80's music/new wave ... actually im pretty eclectic when it comes to music ... but my momma's grew up in the 80's hahah so i love those songs ... if i create something i dig with these patches ill post it up ... peace dude, thanks

TheGodOfRainbows

18 Feb 2018

hurricane wrote:
14 Feb 2018

Great advice on how to keep things sounding 80's. Especially that bit about "snare is king". That alone made me realize, THAT is the common thread in a lot of that music. Big loud snares with GATED REVERBS aplenty.

Nerveclinic

23 Feb 2018

I thought I accidentally hit the 80's pop button on youtube. Well done and authentic sounding. Sounds like a lot of stuff without sounding stolen.

wireless

23 Feb 2018

Hurricane - You inspired me to go visit your Soundcloud. Loved what I heard - bestest for me was Late 80s interlude followed by Joyride - great energy and fun in your music that took me back to living that decade!

hurricane
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2018

Thanks! I really love 80s music.

I'm not where I want to be yet with creating it, but I've spent A LOT of time intensely studying it. And even though I prefer to use Logic for most things, IMO Reason is better suited towards making this kind of music.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information