[Synthwave] ディストピア - ElPh (Clip)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
ElectronicPhonograph

20 Jan 2018

Hi guys,

Latest track, 1st one made with analogic synthetisers (damn I love these).
Synthwave with a little inspiration from Crystal Caslte and Etienne de Crecy I would say.
Video montage from Akira (awesome manga).

As always, criticism appreciated, I'm learning the mastering process. I'm a bit afraid of starting to play the loudness war.
Last edited by ElectronicPhonograph on 21 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Wickline

21 Jan 2018

I dig it dude. Overall great feel and vibes. I think it could use more development and buildup, though. Given what you have so far, maybe something dissonant and a little frantic on the high end and a second drumset to give it some power in the second half.

Don’t worry about the loudness war, just do what you think sounds best. Sometimes louder is better, sometimes not. It’ll vary from track to track. I’d focus on clarity and polish (EQ, EQ, EQ, stereo width, subtle saturation/exciters, subtle compression for glue). That’s the most important part of mastering.

Edit: I mean that as EQ is most important, not necessarily that you should/have to do a lot of it.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

ElectronicPhonograph

21 Jan 2018

Wickline wrote:
21 Jan 2018
I dig it dude. Overall great feel and vibes. I think it could use more development and buildup, though. Given what you have so far, maybe something dissonant and a little frantic on the high end and a second drumset to give it some power in the second half.

Don’t worry about the loudness war, just do what you think sounds best. Sometimes louder is better, sometimes not. It’ll vary from track to track. I’d focus on clarity and polish (EQ, EQ, EQ, stereo width, subtle saturation/exciters, subtle compression for glue). That’s the most important part of mastering.

Edit: I mean that as EQ is most important, not necessarily that you should/have to do a lot of it.
Thanks for your return.
Those are good advices, I'll try it out.

Yes, I've done really minimal mastering, EQ for bass clarity, compression and some dynamic tweaks, mostly using presets that I change a bit (except for the EQ). I'm actually a bit struggling on this part as it is pretty sharp and need a good ear. Moreover, I can't find that much info on the internet about how to do it properly (I've read the pretty cool manual from Ozone though).

ElectronicPhonograph

21 Jan 2018

I've done the edit.
Turns out I forgot to copy the drums variations to the second verse. I corrected this and also added a cowbellish hihat in order to fill a bit the high end.
I reworked a bit the mastering as well.

Wickline

22 Jan 2018

Izotope has tons of great articles on their site. Applies to any mastering but it’s that much easier when you’re working with Ozone.
Don’t worry about getting perfect results right off the bat. It takes a lot of expirementing and practicing to be able to pick up on the more subtle things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wickline

22 Jan 2018

Just listened to it and it sounds better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElectronicPhonograph

22 Jan 2018

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using Ozone as well, great software but I need to practice indeed :)

• Information