(Metal) - Winter Is Coming

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2018

I wrote this one for the winter themed song competition here at RT so some of you may have heard it already.
I did however change the mix slightly to the version I entered the competition with.

Even though this song is pretty metal there's actually no guitars in this tune. The instruments that sounds guitarish are all synths or sample based instruments played through Kaussas Creme amp.

Ixus

09 Jan 2018

This was awesome! I made a reply but I forgot to press submit lol so here I go again!
The intro was really cool and it only got better, is that you on vocals? It sounds very nice

Cheers!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2018

Ixus wrote:
09 Jan 2018
This was awesome! I made a reply but I forgot to press submit lol so here I go again!
The intro was really cool and it only got better, is that you on vocals? It sounds very nice

Cheers!
Thanks. Yes it's me on vocals, but they are pretty fake in a way. I've talked about my process for making these kind of vocals before but I almost don't want to tell the listener about it because it might ruin the experience of the music.
Let's just pretend I'm a pretty good screamer. :D
Like I mentioned even the "guitars" are fake. Haha. Even though it's a metal tune I've treated the production just like I would any electronic music. Lots of tweaking to get the sounds I want.
It's all about the end result right?

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2018

Very.. wintery.. :D

Ixus

09 Jan 2018

Haha well what you may lack in scream skills you sure make up in produciton skills!

strangers
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2018

When I first heard your entry from the song challenge I had a strong feeling you didn't use any guitars even though it sounds very convincing. You'd have plenty of metal guys fooled for sure, especially since it actually sounds better than most metal tones. A tad gainier than I'd opt for but you've still got a very percussive and articulate sound going on. I really like the section that starts around 1:17. Sounds like something you'd hear off Bring Me the Horizon's best album Sempiternal.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2018

strangers wrote:
09 Jan 2018
When I first heard your entry from the song challenge I had a strong feeling you didn't use any guitars even though it sounds very convincing. You'd have plenty of metal guys fooled for sure, especially since it actually sounds better than most metal tones. A tad gainier than I'd opt for but you've still got a very percussive and articulate sound going on. I really like the section that starts around 1:17. Sounds like something you'd hear off Bring Me the Horizon's best album Sempiternal.
Yep. The point was never really to copy a guitar sound exactly. It was more about capturing the aggression/feeling a distorded guitar can offer.
It's pretty ironic that I'm actually a guitarist yet I chose to use synths instead :D At his point I'm just so used to working in the box that I didn't even think about picking up the guitar.

RTFX

10 Jan 2018

Not bad. Not bad at all! That Kuassa amp is mad! Im gonna check that out.
Production sounds tight.
Not really a fan of the reverb you chose for snare and i miss some variation in the snare. At least some ghostnotes. Use of crash is ok though. Maybe a little louder or sharper eqd, but thats my taste. Dont cut off my balls :)
No moshpit material imho, but certainly headbang worthy.
How did the comp end?
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2018

RTFX wrote:
10 Jan 2018
Production sounds tight.
Not really a fan of the reverb you chose for snare and i miss some variation in the snare. At least some ghostnotes. Use of crash is ok though. Maybe a little louder or sharper eqd, but thats my taste. Dont cut off my balls :)
How did the comp end?
Thanks. I can see why someone might have a problem with the snare. The sample itself is very roomy/reverby but that's part of why I like it. It's like a 80s snare only snappier :D

Here's a link to the winners thread. My track ended up in 4th place.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7505074

stratatonic

10 Jan 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Jan 2018
RTFX wrote:
10 Jan 2018
Production sounds tight.
How did the comp end?
Thanks. I can see why someone might have a problem with the snare. The sample itself is very roomy/reverby but that's part of why I like it. It's like a 80s snare only snappier :D

Here's a link to the winners thread. My track ended up in 4th place.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7505074
Excellent work as usual TA. Great production. An love that intro.
4th place kinda sucks :puf_unhappy: - I'd rather be 5th. (well, actually, I'd rather be 1,2 or 3, really :roll: )I feel for the Olympics athletes who come in fourth - especially in an event with judges - one or two slight changes in scoring and you have a different outcome. But it was a cool competition - lots of varied entries.
I digress. Nicely done :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2018

stratatonic wrote:
10 Jan 2018
Excellent work as usual TA. Great production. An love that intro.
4th place kinda sucks :puf_unhappy: - I'd rather be 5th. (well, actually, I'd rather be 1,2 or 3, really :roll: )I feel for the Olympics athletes who come in fourth - especially in an event with judges - one or two slight changes in scoring and you have a different outcome. But it was a cool competition - lots of varied entries.
I digress. Nicely done :)
Thanks.
Yes I know. Even though I'm happy with the 4th place it's a bit of a bummer when you're so close. I actually said the same thing to myself half way through the live stream :D
But regardless of the position in these competitions you always end up with a new finished tune and that's a win of its own imo.

mbfrancis

13 Jan 2018

This is a fantastic production, the heavy chords sound great whatever they are. When they drop and it's just drums and melodies you can tell it's not guitars but so what it sounds massive. So good. I'm intrigued that there's a way to be a screamer without killing yourself, that would be a nice trick. What did you use for drums?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2018

mbfrancis wrote:
13 Jan 2018
This is a fantastic production, the heavy chords sound great whatever they are. When they drop and it's just drums and melodies you can tell it's not guitars but so what it sounds massive. So good. I'm intrigued that there's a way to be a screamer without killing yourself, that would be a nice trick. What did you use for drums?
Thanks for the kind words.
The drum samples are mostly from Epic BeatRe refill from Softphonics actually. Everything except the bassdrum (and the crash) which is the initial bassdrum sample for Redrums "Rock Kit". It's been pimped up with saturation, EQ, Disperser and compression though :D

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2018

This is so good!

ElectronicPhonograph

20 Jan 2018

Good stuff.
Can I ask you more detail about how you got those guitarish sounds ?
I tried to do a similar sound, for an industrial metal tune, but I haven't manage to get that grain and bite. I've been using the Europa instrument.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2018

ElectronicPhonograph wrote:
20 Jan 2018
Good stuff.
Can I ask you more detail about how you got those guitarish sounds ?
I tried to do a similar sound, for an industrial metal tune, but I haven't manage to get that grain and bite. I've been using the Europa instrument.
Thank you.
I'd say most of that sound comes from running synths through the Creme amp from Kuassa. It has a very aggressive metal tone to it. It matters less what synth you pick in my experience. Of course the grittier the unprocessed synth sound is the grittier the distorted sound will be.

Karmx

21 Jan 2018

Good work!what you used for bass?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2018

Karmx wrote:
21 Jan 2018
Good work!what you used for bass?
Thanks.
It's funny, for bass I simly used the Subtractors default patch "Bass guitar". :D I did add a tiny bit of saturation and made some EQ adjustments.

33db

24 Jan 2018

I really like your mix on this, nothing gets lost in the distortion. The timing is excellent without sounding quantized, nice and tight but organic.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2018

33db wrote:
24 Jan 2018
I really like your mix on this, nothing gets lost in the distortion. The timing is excellent without sounding quantized, nice and tight but organic.
Thanks. I appreciate the comment about the timing. I did spend some time on the humanizing aspect. It's subtle, but there's a difference if you take it away for sure.

Pete B

28 Jan 2018

Good production. I don't think the Swedish Tourist Board will be contacting you to use this. Very powerful; it might scare children.

JacobiusWrex

30 Jan 2018

Dude that rhythm guitar.... Ehm...I mean synth...sound is killer! Totally meshuggah

I am inspired to try creating a similar sound! Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhillipOrdonez

31 Jan 2018

Awesome sound design. Det var godt!

Totally agree with the comment about the mix. It cannot be easy to make things come through and shine like it does here when working with songs that are so dense and full like this one.

• Information