(80's vibe Synthpop) Memories of you, elegy ahead

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jappe

10 Dec 2017

EDIT: Released:

This is a very rare song, since I actually managed to convince my son to sing a verse in it, yay :puf_smile:

* Soundbanks/refills for Reason by Bitley(bitley.laconicsounds.net/way-beyond-fairlight/)
RE's:
* Jiggery Pokery's Steerpike Delay and Chenille Chorus to make anything shine
* Synapse GQ-7 EQ to cut and boost.
* Seligs Leveler for fixing vocal dynamics and Seligs Gain when I was out of Gain.
* Onyx Tube Limiter to tame the peaks.
* Ochenk's Carve to get things out of the way
* Mastered through emastered.com

------------------------------
Hi all,

there's two things in my current WIP that I'm curious about if it's perceived as fine, or if I should change it?

1. The transition from the vocal part of the intro and to the next part

2. The bass: I deliberately didn't quantize it, to give it some personality.

Intro snippet

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2017

The transition from the vocal works well.

Are there a lot more vocals coming?

Has a petshop boys feel about it :)

jappe

14 Dec 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2017
The transition from the vocal works well.

Are there a lot more vocals coming?

Has a petshop boys feel about it :)
Thanks for feedback!
Yes, there'll be vocals throughout the song. I even got my son to sing a verse, very rare achievementπŸ™‚

jappe

21 Dec 2017

Released!

Had sinusitis for some time, with interesting impact on sound perception...hoping the mix isn't entirely crap

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2017

jappe wrote: ↑
21 Dec 2017
Released!

Had sinusitis for some time, with interesting impact on sound perception...hoping the mix isn't entirely crap
Love it, very very 80's (the best decade ;) )

Do you have a high quality wav that I can listen to?

RTFX

24 Dec 2017

Nice and sweet song. Your vocals have their own signature sound. I like it. Can you grunt too? :)
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

jappe

26 Dec 2017

24 Dec 2017
21 Dec 2017
Released!

Thanks for feedback, and glad to hear I'm not moving to far away from that best decadeπŸ™‚
I'll upload a wav to instaud.io.

I think the vocal tracks needs some more care.

jappe

26 Dec 2017

RTFX wrote: ↑
24 Dec 2017
Nice and sweet song. Your vocals have their own signature sound. I like it. Can you grunt too? :)
Thanks for listening!

Grunting yet to learn☺️

I think it was tritoneaddiction who posted a tip about how to turn whispering into growl, need to try that.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2017

26 Dec 2017
24 Dec 2017

I tried searching for it on instaud but could not find it, did you make it public, will I need to create an account for it? (I don't mind creating an account)

Ref the vocals, this is one of the reasons I wanted to hear a high Def version of it.

jappe

26 Dec 2017

26 Dec 2017
26 Dec 2017

I tried searching for it on instaud but could not find it, did you make it public, will I need to create an account for it? (I don't mind creating an account)

Ref the vocals, this is one of the reasons I wanted to hear a high Def version of it.
Hi!
I sent you a OneDrive link on PM now - got a max size exceeded error on instaud.

raymondh

26 Dec 2017

Nice job Jappe! Very polished sound and love all the intricate details. Well done!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2017

26 Dec 2017
26 Dec 2017

Hi!
I sent you a OneDrive link on PM now - got a max size exceeded error on instaud.
Had a good listen on headphones and my monitors (Yes I have monitors set backup again after 2 years without them, heaven) anyway I felt the balance of the vocals worked well with the song, the only bit I did not get was at the 1:32 with the whisper and the line straight after that, just felt a little out of place, like you shoe horned that bit in. (There are no other whispers in the track)

The track would fit straight into a 80's mix tape, I do like your style... :)

jappe

27 Dec 2017

26 Dec 2017
26 Dec 2017

Hi!
Had a good listen on headphones and my monitors (Yes I have monitors set backup again after 2 years without them, heaven) anyway I felt the balance of the vocals worked well with the song, the only bit I did not get was at the 1:32 with the whisper and the line straight after that, just felt a little out of place, like you shoe horned that bit in. (There are no other whispers in the track)

The track would fit straight into a 80's mix tape, I do like your style... :)
Thank's a lot for this feedback!

I spent some time trying to get the whispers like I intended, but I think I should really have re-recorded it.
The raw recording had too much tonal part and I tried to tweak that away; I also removed the center vocal track for the whispers

jappe

27 Dec 2017

raymondh wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2017
Nice job Jappe! Very polished sound and love all the intricate details. Well done!
Thank you!

mbfrancis

15 Jan 2018

This is very cool. I absolutely love the solo at 1:58. I love the left turn at 3:00 (time is passing by), fun.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

jappe

17 Jan 2018

mbfrancis wrote: ↑
15 Jan 2018
This is very cool. I absolutely love the solo at 1:58. I love the left turn at 3:00 (time is passing by), fun.
Thank you!

33db

28 Jan 2018

Between 30 seconds and 35 seconds... there's your hook, I wanted to hear that synth lick again.

Pete B

29 Jan 2018

Hi Jappe,

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while so it's good to come back and hear that you have overcome your former reticence about singing. You seem to have really found your voice. Well done!

PhillipOrdonez

31 Jan 2018

This is fun!

jappe

09 Feb 2018

33db wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2018
Between 30 seconds and 35 seconds... there's your hook, I wanted to hear that synth lick again.
Thank's for listening!
Hmm...I don't find anything I personally feel significant between 30-35 seconds, others may disagree?

jappe

09 Feb 2018

Pete B wrote: ↑
29 Jan 2018
Hi Jappe,

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while so it's good to come back and hear that you have overcome your former reticence about singing. You seem to have really found your voice. Well done!
Thank's for the kind words :)
I never thought I'd be able to improve my vocals, but found inspiration to practice in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/singing/
I'm still dependent on Reason Pitch Edit/Melodyne, but I feel training really helped, so much less pitch correction needed these days.

If anyone reading this is convinced that voice improvement is unachievable, please checkout the r/singing thread and find the inspiration to prove the opposite there.

Some months ago I also joined an choir, and I can also recommend that for people to take a step out from their comfort zone.
Extremely rewarding.

jappe

09 Feb 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
31 Jan 2018
This is fun!
Glad you liked it!

teddymcw

09 Feb 2018

Wow, I just love everything about this. The concepts above all and the execution is wonderful as well mate. The one thing I could take to suggest as feedback to you, as I'm someone who is mixing a lot right now, is that airy pad in the mid to high frequencies (if you will) could use some movement either panning or freq or both, maybe using a light phaser. Yet that's just for me when I'm on these particular headphones. Love this track, fav'ing it now!

Pete B

29 Jul 2018

09 Feb 2018
Some months ago I also joined an choir, and I can also recommend that for people to take a step out from their comfort zone.
Extremely rewarding.
That's great, and good advice -- music is so rewarding when it's made communally.

jappe

03 Aug 2018

teddymcw wrote: ↑
09 Feb 2018
Wow, I just love everything about this. The concepts above all and the execution is wonderful as well mate. The one thing I could take to suggest as feedback to you, as I'm someone who is mixing a lot right now, is that airy pad in the mid to high frequencies (if you will) could use some movement either panning or freq or both, maybe using a light phaser. Yet that's just for me when I'm on these particular headphones. Love this track, fav'ing it now!
Sorry, I missed replying to this!
Thanks for advise and the kind words!

• Information