(Celtic/Folk) Album - Cautionary Tales

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Philleann

05 Dec 2017

Hi all, something a little different here. I recorded and mixed this whole album with my folk band Bellow Bridge in Reason 9.5

Check it out and let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.

https://bellowbridge.bandcamp.com

https://bellowbridge.com
Last edited by Philleann on 05 Dec 2017, edited 2 times in total.

modecca

06 Dec 2017

πŸ‘ Wow , was not expecting such a beautiful album! Great vocals , great music, such wonderful feelings from beginning to end.
πŸ”—β€πŸ’₯

Philleann

06 Dec 2017

modecca wrote:[emoji106] Wow , was not expecting such a beautiful album! Great vocals , great music, such wonderful feelings from beginning to end.
Thank you! That's great to hear.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ixus

07 Dec 2017

This is awesome, great work!

TheGodOfRainbows

07 Dec 2017

Philleann wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2017
Hi all, something a little different here. I recorded and mixed this whole album with my folk band Bellow Bridge in Reason 9.5

Beautiful! Sweet lead vocals and wonderful acoustic instruments!!! Added to wishlist and followed!

Philleann

07 Dec 2017

Thank you for the kind words!

stratatonic

11 Dec 2017

05 Dec 2017

Excellent work! Vocals sound so smooth. She's got a great voice, but what did you do to the vocals production-wise?

Philleann

12 Dec 2017

stratatonic wrote:
05 Dec 2017

Excellent work! Vocals sound so smooth. She's got a great voice, but what did you do to the vocals production-wise?
Thanks, glad you liked the album.
Yeah we are very fortunate with our vocalist.
I tried hard to record the vocals as clean as possible with the home setup I have.

After selecting and editing the best takes together I would slice the vocal track up and manually boost or lower the audio level where it was needed to create an even performance.

From there I would EQ to tame any unwanted frequencies and try to negate the sound of the room I recorded in. I added a de-esser, then a Waves CLA-76 compressor.

I tended to double the main vocal track to thicken things up. I'd also add more pronounced reverb to the copy then mix that in slightly lower than the main vocal. I generally used a combo of Empty Stage Plate and a room reverb like Soft Vocals or Long Warm Vocal Hall. All found in the RV7000.

teddymcw

12 Dec 2017

Hey Reason was never intended to record such beautiful traditional music! : )

Joking aside, really loved this and was just thinking about some lovely pipe tones last night. Funny how this dropped from the sky like a gift from the Gods.

Many cheers.

Philleann

12 Dec 2017

teddymcw wrote:Hey Reason was never intended to record such beautiful traditional music! : )

Joking aside, really loved this and was just thinking about some lovely pipe tones last night. Funny how this dropped from the sky like a gift from the Gods.

Many cheers.
Thanks very much! But I'll admit the recording of my pipes was the bit I was least happy with on the album. I couldn't quite get them to sound like I wanted. Partly because of the limited mics I had to use, and also down to my playing ability!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2017

Yeahh!!!

I'm a thin whistler and bagpiper myself, and i love Celtic Music (Irish, Scotish, Galician, Lusitan, etc)! I really liked this! Great job overall, and you all really talented!

Congratulations!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2017

teddymcw wrote: ↑
12 Dec 2017

Many cheers.
Nonsense. Reason is intended to make music (recording, mixing, etc). We (musicians, singers, songwriters, producers, etc) are the only responsible to do the best we can and wish with it!

Here's a little example i did with Reason and a Susato Low whistle.

The rest of the instruments are all from reason (Acoustic Guitarist fingerpicking, Acoustic Guitar, Studio Drummer and Reason Electric Bass).

Philleann

12 Dec 2017

mcatalao wrote:
teddymcw wrote: ↑
12 Dec 2017

Many cheers.
Nonsense. Reason is intended to make music (recording, mixing, etc). We (musicians, singers, songwriters, producers, etc) are the only responsible to do the best we can and wish with it!

Here's a little example i did with Reason and a Susato Low whistle.

The rest of the instruments are all from reason (Acoustic Guitarist fingerpicking, Acoustic Guitar, Studio Drummer and Reason Electric Bass).
Great!

Philleann

13 Dec 2017

mcatalao wrote:Yeahh!!!

I'm a thin whistler and bagpiper myself, and i love Celtic Music (Irish, Scotish, Galician, Lusitan, etc)! I really liked this! Great job overall, and you all really talented!

Congratulations!
Thanks. That's good to know. What type of pipes do you play?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2017

13 Dec 2017
mcatalao wrote:Yeahh!!!

Congratulations!

Classical flute, recorder, thin whistle, low whistle, bansuri and portuguese and gaelic bagpipes.

I also play piano and keys. I have a bit of classical training in piano and flute but I'm more prolific at piano and recorder.

Philleann

13 Dec 2017

mcatalao wrote:
13 Dec 2017

Classical flute, recorder, thin whistle, low whistle, bansuri and portuguese and gaelic bagpipes.

I also play piano and keys. I have a bit of classical training in piano and flute but I'm more prolific at piano and recorder.
Followed you on soundcloud

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2017

13 Dec 2017
mcatalao wrote:

Followed you on soundcloud

Great Man!

If you want you can hear my CD on Spotify to as i don't have all my stuff on soundcloud:

stratatonic

15 Dec 2017

12 Dec 2017
stratatonic wrote:
I tried hard to record the vocals as clean as possible with the home setup I have.the Antares

After selecting and editing the best takes together I would slice the vocal track up and manually boost or lower the audio level where it was needed to create an even performance.

From there I would EQ to tame any unwanted frequencies and try to negate the sound of the room I recorded in. I added a de-esser, then a Waves CLA-76 compressor.

I tended to double the main vocal track to thicken things up. I'd also add more pronounced reverb to the copy then mix that in slightly lower than the main vocal. I generally used a combo of Empty Stage Plate and a room reverb like Soft Vocals or Long Warm Vocal Hall. All found in the RV7000.
Thanks muchly for sharing your production method. That RV7000 is under rated, but it is pretty good, imo.
When you doubled the vocal, do you mean she sang again? Or you copied her original vocal? I was just looking at the Antares Duo Auto Doubling plugin this morning and the plugin has knobs for pitch, timing, timbres vibrato variations which sounds like it could really thicken up a single track vocal. Guess the same could be done manually in Reason as well.

Philleann

15 Dec 2017

stratatonic wrote:
12 Dec 2017
I tried hard to record the vocals as clean as possible with the home setup I have.the Antares

Thanks muchly for sharing your production method. That RV7000 is under rated, but it is pretty good, imo.
When you doubled the vocal, do you mean she sang again? Or you copied her original vocal? I was just looking at the Antares Duo Auto Doubling plugin this morning and the plugin has knobs for pitch, timing, timbres vibrato variations which sounds like it could really thicken up a single track vocal. Guess the same could be done manually in Reason as well.
Yeah I ment copying the main vocal and altering it much like that plugin seems to do.
We did record harmony vocals for a couple of the tracks too.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2017

Really good!

Philleann

15 Dec 2017

aeox wrote:Really good!
Cheers

• Information