(Head Bopper) Final Descent

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2017

New Loops and Reasontalk are hosting a song challenge that I took part in. The sample pack was very small but made for a lot of experimenting to make the samples my own for the song. Hope you guys like this one and, as always, I'd fully appreciate any comments, criticism, likes, dislikes, thumbs up, toe tapping, etc.

JNeffLind

22 Nov 2017

I dig the sort of swingy vibe to the beat. Not enough of that in EDM in my opinion. I don't know why no one has commented on this. It's really well done. The break at around 1:25 was a little abrupt for me but that's a creative choice I think. Thanks for sharing. It sounds good. I honestly like the beginning and the end the most because they have the most spare sound. The busier parts work fine, but don't hit my ear quite as well.

Kilsane

26 Nov 2017

Good music :)

Last Alternative

26 Nov 2017

Awesome beat and nice low end and variety of changes and things going on. Mix is clear and sounds pro. Entertaining.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

strangers
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2017

JNeffLind wrote:
22 Nov 2017
I dig the sort of swingy vibe to the beat. Not enough of that in EDM in my opinion. I don't know why no one has commented on this. It's really well done. The break at around 1:25 was a little abrupt for me but that's a creative choice I think. Thanks for sharing. It sounds good. I honestly like the beginning and the end the most because they have the most spare sound. The busier parts work fine, but don't hit my ear quite as well.
Thanks for the kind words and comments. Stuff like this is more helpful than many would think. The time constraint and very small set of samples made for some interesting and different ways of thinking when I came up with this track. The beat evolved from something much different than the end result. Even at that point, I threw The Echo on my drum bus and had some fun with it in Triggered mode. That helped give the beat that extra little roll/swing.

The part at 1:25 was me still struggling to break away from my writing approach for rock music. I originally had something completely different there until I realized I wasn't writing a rock song and didn't need a bridge. Even after realizing that, I compromised with a short bridge that could have used a bit more of a transition even though I was excited to get to the ending portion.

That's a little snapshot into some of the behind the scenes on this one. Comments like yours are like gold to me. Guitar has been my primary weapon of choice since I was a kid. Coming from the rock world unfortunately leaves me in a place with very few people I can bounce my enjoyment of electronic music off of. Reasontalk is my little getaway from the rock world and learning grounds for taking on a completely different style of writing and a different style of music. I absorb the comments like that brand new sponge you're about to put near the kitchen sink.
Kilsane wrote:
26 Nov 2017
Good music :)
:thumbs_up: Always more to come. Almost too many ideas in progress at once yet too little time.
Last Alternative wrote:
26 Nov 2017
Awesome beat and nice low end and variety of changes and things going on. Mix is clear and sounds pro. Entertaining.
Thanks man! I put more focus than usual on the low end even though I technically did less work on the lows. I tried using way less HP/LP filters and instead made better use of high/low shelving. The end result sounded more natural than expected. Always experimenting even with what's probably basic concepts for most of you guys. That's the fun part of learning from past mistakes.

• Information