(80s vibe melodic synth pop) Misery Turning

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jappe

28 Jul 2017

EDIT:
Final version released:

Made with Reason v9.5

Mastered through emastered.com

All sounds from Bitleys Fairlight libraries.
bitley.laconicsounds.net/

-----------
Hello all,

I'm working on this 80's vibe song. There's one part which I can't determine if it sounds ok or silly.

So, please let me know if you think you found anything that should be replaced/remade.

In general the mix isn't done yet, there's almost no automation, vocals needs to be de-essed a bit and some more listening needed to find other weak spots to improve.

[OLD WIP VERSION] https://soundcloud.co ... ng/s-ChaYH

jappe

28 Jul 2017

raymondh wrote:
28 Jul 2017
It sounds very nice to me! :)
Thank you!

AttenuationHz

28 Jul 2017

The tom needs some serious replacing imo and the Delay on the vocal at 2.49ish completely throws off the beat. It sounds like its not in time with the music but because its so much in the foreground my ears latched onto that rhythm instead of the breakbeat.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jappe

29 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
28 Jul 2017
The tom needs some serious replacing imo and the Delay on the vocal at 2.49ish completely throws off the beat. It sounds like its not in time with the music but because its so much in the foreground my ears latched onto that rhythm instead of the breakbeat.
Thank you,

The Tom was a candidate for the fix list but I got used to it, so good to hear it brought your attention. I'd like it to rather blend in.

The same with the off beat echo, there are four automated echo clips and two of them should be fixed. (I think the other two was ok by will check them again)

So far no comments on the thing that concerned me most, which is good. I may just keep it :puf_smile:

sumusik

30 Jul 2017

I like it! Cute and quirky.

jappe

30 Jul 2017

sumusik wrote:
30 Jul 2017
I like it! Cute and quirky.
Thank you!

anko

05 Nov 2017

found this through yr sig link in a comment on another thread, so, v. late to comment on this. sweet! nice synthpop vibe! ;)

katerli1

05 Nov 2017

nice one, great 80ies tune.
greets,
Kath Sound

jappe

05 Nov 2017

anko wrote:
05 Nov 2017
found this through yr sig link in a comment on another thread, so, v. late to comment on this. sweet! nice synthpop vibe! ;)
Thanks for the kind words :puf_smile:

jappe

05 Nov 2017

katerli1 wrote:
05 Nov 2017
nice one, great 80ies tune.
greets,
Kath Sound
Thanks for listening!

katerli1

06 Nov 2017

you`re Wellcome. maybe you mind checking out some of my trax as well, would appreciate some feedback.
greets,
kath sound

Bloma

09 Nov 2017

Sounds fucking great! Personally I like the tom sound, it fits the cheesy vibe, but your songs transcend mere cheese and become something more and transcendental, always a journey in there and a realisation of something. For me the bass synth could somehow have something more, but it's a really really slight thing, cos it does sound good, but maybe a short delay that's been low passed, or chorused or something? Something to make it sit more in the environment of the song more. Love the vocal sound. Overall just great stuff!

jappe

12 Nov 2017

Bloma wrote:
09 Nov 2017
Sounds fucking great! Personally I like the tom sound, it fits the cheesy vibe, but your songs transcend mere cheese and become something more and transcendental, always a journey in there and a realisation of something. For me the bass synth could somehow have something more, but it's a really really slight thing, cos it does sound good, but maybe a short delay that's been low passed, or chorused or something? Something to make it sit more in the environment of the song more. Love the vocal sound. Overall just great stuff!

Thank's!
I'll see what I can do with the bass when eventually refining my 80's vibe songs . I started doing that some months ago, but I got a bit lost in a sound maze there - I need to do more A/B checking before saving when I try to improve my songs.
I feel making a song can be like programming: 95% of it takes 5 % of the time to complete, and the remaining 5% takes 95% :D

BPGeez

12 Nov 2017

I love the 80's so fuckin much! Awesome voice my man!
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

JNeffLind

13 Nov 2017

Hey man. Been a while but it's nice to hear you're doing your thing. This isn't my favorite of your stuff, probably because I don't have the eighties nostalgia that some have. You definitely capture that vibe though and as usual your writing in a foreign language is impressive. The production sounds clean and upbeat. Very bouncy.

Check out mine if you get the chance:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7504218

jappe

13 Nov 2017

BPGeez wrote:
12 Nov 2017
I love the 80's so fuckin much! Awesome voice my man!
Thank's!
I experienced the eighties as a teenager, listening to bands like Devo, Duran Duran, Ultravox, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Tangerine Dream, Howard Jones, Flock Of Seagulls and much more. This mix has been brewing in my head ever since. Reason + Bitley's Fairlight refills brings the inspiration I need!

Regarding singing, voice training and singing in a choir helps a lot, but I've still got a long way to go to nail a song without the need of using Pitch Edit!

jappe

13 Nov 2017

JNeffLind wrote:
13 Nov 2017
Hey man. Been a while but it's nice to hear you're doing your thing. This isn't my favorite of your stuff, probably because I don't have the eighties nostalgia that some have. You definitely capture that vibe though and as usual your writing in a foreign language is impressive. The production sounds clean and upbeat. Very bouncy.

Hello,and thank you!
That 80's nostalgia is happening currently, certainly not everyone's cup of tea. I'm making myself the odd man out by not being particularly impressed by Stranger Things, though I promised myself to give the series another chance.
I need to also prepare for the next round of 70's nostalgia...so much wonderful music to re-discover and get inspired by :)

BananaSkins

13 Nov 2017

Certainly sounds like an 80's vibe so well done on this...
Starts well although the drum kick is a bit weak.
When played together High synth is too loud and dominating your voice.
Arpegio synth again making your voice fight for space.
Don't like the grungy bass - too distracting.
Vocals have to much delay at 0:48 - here I can not understand all your lyrics (understand what you are singing)
All synth instruments at the moment are dominating most of the song, they need to be placed further back in the mix to let the drums and more importantly the vocals breath.
Claps are very weak.

In my eyes, at the moment it sounds like a demo and not a mastered song. But keep working on it, it has potential...

jappe

13 Nov 2017

BananaSkins wrote:
13 Nov 2017
Certainly sounds like an 80's vibe so well done on this...
Starts well although the drum kick is a bit weak.
When played together High synth is too loud and dominating your voice.
Arpegio synth again making your voice fight for space.
Don't like the grungy bass - too distracting.
Vocals have to much delay at 0:48 - here I can not understand all your lyrics (understand what you are singing)
All synth instruments at the moment are dominating most of the song, they need to be placed further back in the mix to let the drums and more importantly the vocals breath.
Claps are very weak.

In my eyes, at the moment it sounds like a demo and not a mastered song. But keep working on it, it has potential...
Thank's a lot for the advise! It will be very helpful when I remix this song.

jappe

20 Nov 2017

raymondh wrote:
14 Nov 2017
Sounds great to me! Nice work!
Thank you!

JNeffLind

22 Nov 2017

JNeffLind wrote:
13 Nov 2017

I actually wrote a song about Stranger Things, despite not really loving it either. It was more an opportunistic idea, like I thought it would be an interesting challenge that people might dig since the show has such a recognizable sonic palette. I'm going to share it on here with just piano and vocals and see if anyone wants to take a crack at arranging or remixing it in that Stranger Things synthy style. I found one guy who wants to take a crack at it and someone else who might want to collaborate as well so we'll see. Maybe you want to join the party?

jappe

22 Nov 2017

JNeffLind wrote:
22 Nov 2017
JNeffLind wrote:
13 Nov 2017

I actually wrote a song about Stranger Things, despite not really loving it either. It was more an opportunistic idea, like I thought it would be an interesting challenge that people might dig since the show has such a recognizable sonic palette. I'm going to share it on here with just piano and vocals and see if anyone wants to take a crack at arranging or remixing it in that Stranger Things synthy style. I found one guy who wants to take a crack at it and someone else who might want to collaborate as well so we'll see. Maybe you want to join the party?
Sounds fun, happy if there is something I can contribute with!

• Information