(V A P O U R W A V E) Shen Muse

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
logicalpocket

23 Jul 2017

Thought I'd try something a bit different and make a vapourwave track.

I'm not sure I've followed the genre rules precisely, but rules are for breaking anyway :)
Blep

Ahornberg

23 Jul 2017

fine work!

logicalpocket

23 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
23 Jul 2017
fine work!
Blep

Thousand Ways

24 Jul 2017

There's a genre called 'vapourwave'? This is the first I've heard of it. So I can't tell whether you're breaking its rules.

The track seems a mix of glitch; micro house; slightly shoegaze-ish, melancholy, dense chords; chopped-up vocal samples; dragging-and-speeding hi-hats; even some acid. It seems very densely layered, but perhaps the way that it's assembled makes it sound as though there are more layers than are actually there. I'm listening on speakers, but am guessing that headphones would be better for a track like this.

It's nice. Would take a lot of listens to really figure-out everything that's in there. Congrats.

Thousand Ways

24 Jul 2017

… I like your NDR4dA2 track as well.

esselfortium

24 Jul 2017

Nice work! It's different from what I'd normally expect from vaporwave, but in a good way. I like what you've done with all the chopping and rearranging to make it your own. I did kind of want a more prominent melody to materialize out of it in the second half, though.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Faxxer

24 Jul 2017

very captivating!
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

mbfrancis

25 Jul 2017

This is exceptional - such a great menacing vibe and use of spoken samples. Love it.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

logicalpocket

26 Jul 2017

Thousand Ways wrote:
24 Jul 2017
There's a genre called 'vapourwave'? This is the first I've heard of it. So I can't tell whether you're breaking its rules.

The track seems a mix of glitch; micro house; slightly shoegaze-ish, melancholy, dense chords; chopped-up vocal samples; dragging-and-speeding hi-hats; even some acid. It seems very densely layered, but perhaps the way that it's assembled makes it sound as though there are more layers than are actually there. I'm listening on speakers, but am guessing that headphones would be better for a track like this.

It's nice. Would take a lot of listens to really figure-out everything that's in there. Congrats.
It's one of the more ill-defined genres as far as I can tell. The description I like the most states that it's music for abandoned malls :) I've not gone overboard degrading the audio quality like you normally would with this kind of track but there's still an element of that.

Thanks for listening, glad you enjoyed NDR4dA2 as well :)
esselfortium wrote:
24 Jul 2017
Nice work! It's different from what I'd normally expect from vaporwave, but in a good way. I like what you've done with all the chopping and rearranging to make it your own. I did kind of want a more prominent melody to materialize out of it in the second half, though.
Yeah, on reflection I'm not sure how closely it fits the specification. I tried to keep the melodies fairly uniform throughout though as what I have noticed with vapourwave tracks is they tend towards hypnotic looping melodies. It was definitely a stylistic choice in this case ;
Faxxer wrote:
24 Jul 2017
very captivating!
)

Thanks a lot :D
mbfrancis wrote:
25 Jul 2017
This is exceptional - such a great menacing vibe and use of spoken samples. Love it.
Thanks, menacing is exactly what I was going for :)
Blep

• Information