(futurepop | synthpop) Nowhere to Hide

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
sumusik

19 Jul 2017

Sharing "Nowhere to Hide" album version. Video was quick and temporary. Reason without VSTs.

jappe

23 Jul 2017

sumusik wrote:
19 Jul 2017
Sharing "Nowhere to Hide" album version. Video was quick and temporary. Reason without VSTs.
https://youtu.be/XT17zOVHLYY
I liked it a lot, perfect future pop!

sumusik

24 Jul 2017

I liked it a lot, perfect future pop!
Thank you. That is much appreciated!

Puckboy2000

26 Jul 2017

Great song! I love it. Very industrial.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

sumusik

30 Jul 2017

Puckboy2000 wrote:
26 Jul 2017
Great song! I love it. Very industrial.
Thank you for listening!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2017

Nice energy, vocals reminded me of The Dammed.

In fact the vocals are nice and clear (not that big into modern vocals, can't workout what most people are trying to sing about with all the silly scales they do)...

Nice mix, great sound design, yeah, nice one. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2017

I don't know what future pop means. But to me this track sounded like a mix of industrial and Depeche Mode. Perhaps that's what future pop sounds like?
Really nice track, I liked it.

Quiloc Lim

31 Jul 2017

Very good track. It's my cup of tea. :-) The the vocals are really clean. I'd like to learn your technique / process for recording them directly into reason. I've never been able to get them that clean. :-D

Quiloc Lim

31 Jul 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Jul 2017
I don't know what future pop means. But to me this track sounded like a mix of industrial and Depeche Mode. Perhaps that's what future pop sounds like?

Hi there. The term "Future Pop" was created by Ronan Harris of VNV Nation to describe the music that he & Stephan Groth from Apoptygma Berzerk were doing in the late 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurepop

Besides the two bands I just mentioned, also check out the bands Covenant, Assemblage 23. These four bands are the tops in the future pop genre. There are links to other bands working the genre in the wikipedia link.

jappe

31 Jul 2017

Quiloc Lim wrote:
31 Jul 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Jul 2017

Hi there. The term "Future Pop" was created by Ronan Harris of VNV Nation to describe the music that he & Stephan Groth from Apoptygma Berzerk were doing in the late 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurepop

Besides the two bands I just mentioned, also check out the bands Covenant, Assemblage 23. These four bands are the tops in the future pop genre. There are links to other bands working the genre in the wikipedia link.
I get vibes from Covenant, Apoptygma and VNV nation; again very strong song; vocals like David Gahan.

sumusik

01 Aug 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
30 Jul 2017
Nice energy, vocals reminded me of The Dammed.

In fact the vocals are nice and clear (not that big into modern vocals, can't workout what most people are trying to sing about with all the silly scales they do)...

Nice mix, great sound design, yeah, nice one. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Thank you for the kind words!

sumusik

01 Aug 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Thanks a lot! Quiloc Lim has summed up what futurepop is. The band Covenant is from Sweden just like yourself. :puf_smile:

sumusik

01 Aug 2017

Quiloc Lim wrote:
31 Jul 2017
Very good track. It's my cup of tea. :-) The the vocals are really clean. I'd like to learn your technique / process for recording them directly into reason. I've never been able to get them that clean. :-D
Thank for listening! Is futurepop/ebm/industrial the genres you work in? PM me.
jappe wrote:
31 Jul 2017
I get vibes from Covenant, Apoptygma and VNV nation; again very strong song; vocals like David Gahan.
Thanks again Jappe!

mbfrancis

02 Aug 2017

I think I'm losing my mind, I swore I commented on this. Tapatalk doesn't like me.

This cool, it brings me back. The vocal reminds me a bit of A Split Second and the music Parade Ground. I never heard the term Futurepop back in the day, but I guess it's a close cousin to EBM (we just called it industrial).

Very cool stuff.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

sumusik

03 Aug 2017

mbfrancis wrote:
02 Aug 2017
I think I'm losing my mind, I swore I commented on this. Tapatalk doesn't like me.

This cool, it brings me back. The vocal reminds me a bit of A Split Second and the music Parade Ground. I never heard the term Futurepop back in the day, but I guess it's a close cousin to EBM (we just called it industrial).

Very cool stuff.
Thanks a lot! Genre names are always so tiring and get even more so as time goes by. I mean there is a certain logic behind it I guess but still annoying. Futurepop started out as ebm, but as it got a little more melodic and using trancy sounds it got its own genre name. In a similar nod ebm used to be industrial but got it's own genre name when it became super synth heavy vs acoustic. Think Front 242 vs Ministry. It's particularly annoying for many artists, including myself, that might have a wider range of genres incorporated into any given project (album etc) heck even down to a song. I still just call my music darkwave if I have to call it something. That sucks too lol. When I last spoke with Ronan (vnv) he just wants us all to bucket it as alternative electronic.

Some Desperate Glory

09 Aug 2017

This sounds really very good. I agree the vocals are quite strong. Sumusik perfectly described my own impression about what "Futurepop" is. To me it always sounds like EBM with the sixteenth-note baselines replaced with trancy lines.

EBM itself (I'm thinking the first popular artists such as Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb) are much more "accessible" to the average listener than a lot of late 80s/early 90s industrial (I'm thinking Skinny Puppy and the "art industrial" bands mostly) but that time period virtually every industrial band had their own take on the style (for example, think of Die Warzau mixing funk into industrial).

Whatever you call it, I really like this song.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Nerveclinic

11 Aug 2017

Very well done, well produced. Vocals fit well. But "Future Pop". This is 1985 would fit right into the electronic pop scene of the 80's. There is nothing wrong with that, I am just wondering why you would label it future? Surely you know this is right out of the 80's? Great job though.

Micha1973

11 Aug 2017

Thanl you for this! i like it. i think i´m in the 80*

great great great!

perhaps i can make one remix*

micha

from germany :mrgreen:
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

sumusik

12 Aug 2017

Some Desperate Glory wrote:
09 Aug 2017
This sounds really very good. I agree the vocals are quite strong. Sumusik perfectly described my own impression about what "Futurepop" is. To me it always sounds like EBM with the sixteenth-note baselines replaced with trancy lines.

EBM itself (I'm thinking the first popular artists such as Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb) are much more "accessible" to the average listener than a lot of late 80s/early 90s industrial (I'm thinking Skinny Puppy and the "art industrial" bands mostly) but that time period virtually every industrial band had their own take on the style (for example, think of Die Warzau mixing funk into industrial).

Whatever you call it, I really like this song.
Thanks so much! Not for nothing, but I dig your stuff as well!
Nerveclinic wrote:
11 Aug 2017
Very well done, well produced. Vocals fit well. But "Future Pop". This is 1985 would fit right into the electronic pop scene of the 80's. There is nothing wrong with that, I am just wondering why you would label it future? Surely you know this is right out of the 80's? Great job though.
Thanks a lot for the kind words! Futurepop is just genre name more than a descriptor. If you scroll up there is a little bit of discussion about it. Quiloc Lim had a pretty concise post with link as to what futurepop is. But I totally get your question... there's nothing futuristic about it. I guess in the same vain as say progressive rock. Born in the 70s surely it was progressive, but bands making progressive rock now is still called progressive even though the name might not dictate as much. I just simply put down a genre that I felt it more closely resembled. IMO it's all just alternative electronic to me. Genre names have just gotten so splintered over the years, but for good reason I suppose. Thanks again for listening. :D
Micha1973 wrote:
11 Aug 2017
Thanl you for this! i like it. i think i´m in the 80*

great great great!

perhaps i can make one remix*

micha

from germany :mrgreen:
Thanks micha! I appreciate the sentiments. BTW, I work with a handful of artists in Deutschland! PM me for more info.

• Information