(PoohBear Style/Eletronic) Solar Dance (with Video) Updated

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2017

Been playing about a bit again with video's, getting elements syncing with the music..

I hope you enjoy my new track and please do leave feedback (any kind is welcome).

PoohBear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Carly(Poohbear) on 20 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2017

Made a small remix of the track and video...

AttenuationHz

20 Jul 2017

Interesting. The only thing I noticed was because the 3 ball things are static I was focusing on them more but missing the graphics in the centre. If they were bouncing around the screen in some sort of 3d way up-left/down-right in/out I would tend to want to see the rest of the stuff as it passes the centre graphics. Very cool though. The bit towards the end is in the centre the graph looking star thing is very cool.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Interesting. The only thing I noticed was because the 3 ball things are static I was focusing on them more but missing the graphics in the centre. If they were bouncing around the screen in some sort of 3d way up-left/down-right in/out I would tend to want to see the rest of the stuff as it passes the centre graphics. Very cool though. The bit towards the end is in the centre the graph looking star thing is very cool.
Excellent feedback...
At one point I did have the balls moving but my video editor crashed and part of me thought, "REALLY YOU WANT TO DO ALL THAT WORK AGAIN"... So I left it, DOH!!! (plus it did not have the impact I was looking for). Also at one point the balls were a lot closer together and even I found that distracted from everything else going on, hence I pushed them out more to the sides... I also so suffer from the fact I watch this on my 49" monitor from a few feet away so the balls were more off out of my central line of vision.
This video stuff is new to me, so I will make a mental point about static graphics and how they can draw the eye in and to make sure I view it on a small screen as well...

AttenuationHz

21 Jul 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Jul 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
20 Jul 2017
Excellent feedback...
At one point I did have the balls moving but my video editor crashed and part of me thought, "REALLY YOU WANT TO DO ALL THAT WORK AGAIN"... So I left it, DOH!!! (plus it did not have the impact I was looking for). Also at one point the balls were a lot closer together and even I found that distracted from everything else going on, hence I pushed them out more to the sides... I also so suffer from the fact I watch this on my 49" monitor from a few feet away so the balls were more off out of my central line of vision.
This video stuff is new to me, so I will make a mental point about static graphics and how they can draw the eye in and to make sure I view it on a small screen as well...
I viewed on a 32" full screen. I'm pretty close to the monitor also a little over 3ft.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Jagwah

23 Jul 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Been playing about a bit again with video's, getting elements syncing with the music..

I hope you enjoy my new track and please do leave feedback (any kind is welcome).

Hi I like your choon it's got a nice vibe, but I'm kinda in awe by the synchronising of the video's visuals with your sounds especially a hat in the top left and a kick in the right. Can you please explain how you managed this as I'm very interested in it, thanks :)

jappe

23 Jul 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Jul 2017

https://youtu.be/4xRO2odP8GI

PoohBear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
My Soundcloud page ....... Nektar Mappings
Excellent!
I sensed JM Jarre vibes and a touch of 80's Amiga demo :thumbs_up:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2017

jappe wrote:
23 Jul 2017

Excellent!
I sensed JM Jarre vibes and a touch of 80's Amiga demo :thumbs_up:
Thanks, yeah heavily into JMJ and early 80's.. so it's nice to hear that comes out in my music... But it's not something that I aim to do...

Was never into Amiga's, was always a C64 man (and still am) :D

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2017

Jagwah wrote:
23 Jul 2017

Hi I like your choon it's got a nice vibe, but I'm kinda in awe by the synchronising of the video's visuals with your sounds especially a hat in the top left and a kick in the right. Can you please explain how you managed this as I'm very interested in it, thanks :)
The program you are looking for is VSUx, it's quite complex but also quite good fun, if you ware into flipping the Rack around and wiring stuff up, then this is the program for you :D

The downside of the program is it only can have one sound source at a time, I have spoken to the dev's and have requested to able to play stems.

http://www.vsxu.com

The video editor I use is Powerdirector 15 (I also use Video Studio)..

So my workflow is to add about 8/10 empty bars to my tracks, then add a 4 claps at the start, bounce all the tracks out (Bounce mixer channels) that I'm going to have graphics for (I would also export the song with the clap and bring that into the video editor), play back each track with the clap track overlayed (use audacity) with the graphics I want using VSUx and capture the result using a screen cap. Then bring all the videos into a video editor, now the point of the claps at the start is it helps BIG time aligning all the tracks up (with PowerDirector you get to see the waveform so I do it by eye), then edit each track (fades, movement) etc. produce the video and enjoy....
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.13 KiB) Viewed 3317 times

raymondh

28 Jul 2017

Very cool track!

To my ears, of a cross between OMD, Jarre, Tangerine Dream and BBC studios!

The video is great too! The balls remind me of 70s mirror balls. I reckon you could create a futuristic disco scene with one of those balls in the middle and some sort of disco floor imagery.

Inspiring stuff!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2017

raymondh wrote:
28 Jul 2017
Very cool track!

To my ears, of a cross between OMD, Jarre, Tangerine Dream and BBC studios!

The video is great too! The balls remind me of 70s mirror balls. I reckon you could create a futuristic disco scene with one of those balls in the middle and some sort of disco floor imagery.

Inspiring stuff!
Just remembered at our school disco we use to have an oil filled disc that was projected onto walls, Hmmm maybe something like that for my next video :D

Thanks for the feedback, can't say how happy when I hear people say things like "To my ears, of a cross between OMD, Jarre, Tangerine Dream and BBC studios! ", never mean to copy them in anyway, I just think that music has been ingrained in me :)

PoohBear

(Electronic) Solar Dance
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

kg1

30 May 2018

PoohBear

Mr Bear

What so you use to make your videos?
I like the animated stuff.

Thanks
KG1

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

31 May 2018

kg1 wrote:
30 May 2018

PoohBear

Mr Bear

What so you use to make your videos?
I like the animated stuff.

Thanks
KG1
That one was made using VSXu http://www.vsxu.com/ (Free)
I have spoken to the devs about getting that product to a least support multiple stems, they are currently working on a game and liked the idea but nothing will be done until they finish their current project, however it's an excellent program, quite a bit of learn curve to it.

The other program I use and will be doing a video about it, more along the lines of how I did my Nektar keyboard is called Magic. (and the one to buy is Magic Performer) https://magicmusicvisuals.com/

This video was done live. You can control Magic directly from Reason and I have used that keyboard in a couple of tutorials..

This is a pure unlisted demo that I slapped together using Kron and Magic all done live (also includes my PC crapping out with Computer to Slow, LOL) .

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

raymondh

31 May 2018

Cool this has popped back up on my feed, had another listen. Very cool Carly!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

raymondh wrote:
31 May 2018
Cool this has popped back up on my feed, had another listen. Very cool Carly!
Thank you again :)

jimmyklane

06 Jun 2018

PLEASE TAKE THIS AS THE HONEST OPINION THAT IT IS.

Intro: You have those sharp digital pads from the 80's nailed. At about 37 seconds when the drums kick in, my first impression is that they are very thin sounding....I'm pretty sure you used an 808 (or plugin or sample set) for the snare, but the kick sounds more like a 909 or similar type sound with a short pitch envelope at the beginning.... The arps that accompany the drums have a nice sound to them, but aren't driving the song because they don't slot in well with the drums.

At 2:02 when you have the chromatic run up to the lead and high pads, you have a nice sound there. Again the drums aren't driving the song for me at all.

I don't want to keep repeating myself, so here are my overall thoughts:

The song is too long for the number of sections it has. It feels repetitive to me
The drums are very thin. I don't have a "driving force" that I can groove with in this track
The rest of the sounds and the synthy sound-effects are well executed and seem to fit in with the vibe you've created in the song.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
06 Jun 2018

The song is too long for the number of sections it has. It feels repetitive to me
The drums are very thin. I don't have a "driving force" that I can groove with in this track
The rest of the sounds and the synthy sound-effects are well executed and seem to fit in with the vibe you've created in the song.
It is a little repetitive, best listened to on headphones, my music for me is more about all the sparkle that goes around and I was going to bring the main bass forward (or drop a whole section before it) which I think would have made it more flowing however this was a visual and music project and the visuals were kind of slotted into place.

Drums are always last on my list, I have done a couple of tracks where I really really worked on the drums but the effort put in was not rewarding enough to me. The drums were created using punch and multi punch. Unlike other people drums on my tracks are just background fillers..
The mid to bass arp should have been a lot louder to help drive it.

My music producing is of very low output (maybe four of five tracks a year), I do way more support and the odd track pops out when it's ready too and usually when I'm doing sound designs..

Cheers for your feedback, if I revisit this track I now know what to work on.

PoohBear

jimmyklane

09 Jun 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
09 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
06 Jun 2018

It is a little repetitive, best listened to on headphones, my music for me is more about all the sparkle that goes around and I was going to bring the main bass forward (or drop a whole section before it) which I think would have made it more flowing however this was a visual and music project and the visuals were kind of slotted into place.

Drums are always last on my list, I have done a couple of tracks where I really really worked on the drums but the effort put in was not rewarding enough to me. The drums were created using punch and multi punch. Unlike other people drums on my tracks are just background fillers..
The mid to bass arp should have been a lot louder to help drive it.

My music producing is of very low output (maybe four of five tracks a year), I do way more support and the odd track pops out when it's ready too and usually when I'm doing sound designs..

Cheers for your feedback, if I revisit this track I now know what to work on.

PoohBear

My music is mostly for myself as well. The production work I do for other people I don't often have permission to post in an online forum, but only on my "demo reel" to play for other prospective clients. Now that you explain what you're use case for drums is, then I think you've got it nailed. they are simply filler sounds in the background. I am glad you saw this as the hones review of your work that it was. not everyone can take something that isn't "OMG this is amazing!"...you know?

it's a nice track, I enjoyed the 4-5 listens I gave it to write my review.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

• Information