Reason Dubstep Music Collective

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
LUST3R

12 Apr 2017

Hello Reason Users!
I am just wondering how many of you Dubstep Artists out there use Reason to make Dubstep music over all the other DAWs on the market.
I wanted to start a topic focusing on Dubstep sound design, song structures, favourite artists and promoting your own Dubstep music created with Reason!

(Only positive and constructive conversation please.)

Let's talk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This Is LUST3R!
(Dubstep/EDM/Alternative - Music Producer, Reason User :reason:, DJ & Instrumentalist)
Check out my Soundcloud and FOLLOW ME!
https://soundcloud.com/lust3rofficial

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

i do ;]

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

oh yea..

favorite artist: deadmau5

LUST3R

23 May 2017

aeox wrote:i do ;]
Nice!

Do you have a SoundCloud?

This Is LUST3R!
(Dubstep/EDM/Alternative - Music Producer, Reason User :reason:, DJ & Instrumentalist)

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

LUST3R wrote:
Nice!

I do! but nothing lasts long on there ( self-criticism gets the best of me)

I usually try to keep at least a 10-25 sec clip of the latest stuff i've been working on, just so others have an idea of what kind of music i make.

you've got some pretty cool tunes!
dubstep producers are extremely scarce in the Reason community, it's nice to see one at least :]

LUST3R

23 May 2017

aeox wrote:
LUST3R wrote:
Nice!

I do! but nothing lasts long on there ( self-criticism gets the best of me)

I usually try to keep at least a 10-25 sec clip of the latest stuff i've been working on, just so others have an idea of what kind of music i make.

you've got some pretty cool tunes!
dubstep producers are extremely scarce in the Reason community, it's nice to see one at least :]

Self-criticism gets the better of most of us, you just need to take it on the chin and if you enjoy and like what you make then don't be scared to get it out there :)

Are you working on anything at the moment?

Thanks man!
And tell me about it! Haha that's why I started up this forum group. It's rare to find Reasons users that truly dabble with serious dubstep, but hopefully that will all change with Reason 9.5 ;)

This Is LUST3R!

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

LUST3R wrote:
Self-criticism gets the better of most of us, you just need to take it on the chin and if you enjoy and like what you make then don't be scared to get it out there :)

Thanks man!
And tell me about it! Haha that's why I started up this forum group. It's rare to find Reasons users that truly dabble with serious dubstep, but hopefully that will all change with Reason 9.5 ;)

indeed it does.

yes i'm currently working on the track in my signature (just a "drop" at the moment") which i think was started 1-2 days ago (procrastination also gets the best of me :P )

if you can't see my signature here is a link

with 9.5, things will change! no question about that :P it just may take a while.

LUST3R

23 May 2017

I just had a listen to that track in your signature before on SoundCloud :)
I love the gated pad synth in it! What techniques are you using to make that?

It will be interesting to see the move over to Reason. I can't wait to see more big time music producers, dubstep producers in particular, move over to Reason.
I received my Reason 9.5 beta test last night so I bought Serum and having a little play around haha
This Is LUST3R!

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

Mayor of plucktown :evil:

LUST3R

23 May 2017

aeox wrote:
LUST3R wrote:

Thanks man!

indeed it does.

yes i'm currently working on the track in my signature (just a "drop" at the moment") which i think was started 1-2 days ago (procrastination also gets the best of me :P )

if you can't see my signature here is a link

with 9.5, things will change! no question about that :P it just may take a while.

My message above I was meant to quote you sorry haha
This Is LUST3R!

LUST3R

23 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:what I think is my better work :) :twisted:

https://m.soundcloud.com/scratchnsnifff ... expedition
Pretty sweet drop man!
What RE's do you use? :)

This Is LUST3R!

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

LUST3R wrote:

Pretty sweet drop man!

In that track mostly expanse, also Solaris for the strings, antidote for the leads.
Last night I tried resampling and wow it's crazy how making a bass sound, rendering and re processing it makes for a 100% different bass

I have a cool dubstep tutorial on how I make my. Basses if you want the link, has a few awesome tricks with the elements filter :)

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

LUST3R wrote:I just had a listen to that track in your signature before on SoundCloud :)
that is detuned unison saw wave in eXpanse (this may be called a supersaw, not sure :P) layered with a bass line. the gated effect you are talking about is what i would call a "filter pluck" using an envelope with a fast decay and automating the cutoff frequency. it is one of my favorite sounds, which grew on me from listening to deadmau5 over the years.

edit: oh, and the manual chopping and re-arranging of the layered chord progression in the sequencer :P
LUST3R wrote:It will be interesting to see the move over to Reason. I can't wait to see more big time music producers, dubstep producers in particular, move over to Reason.
I received my Reason 9.5 beta test last night so I bought Serum and having a little play around haha
if many existing dubstep producers don't migrate, many new producers will definitely hone their sound in Reason over the coming years. a lot of tutorials will surface and it will grow and grow. time will tell!
Last edited by aeox on 23 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

LUST3R

23 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
LUST3R wrote:

Pretty sweet drop man!

In that track mostly expanse, also Solaris for the strings, antidote for the leads.
Last night I tried resampling and wow it's crazy how making a bass sound, rendering and re processing it makes for a 100% different bass

I have a cool dubstep tutorial on how I make my. Basses if you want the link, has a few awesome tricks with the elements filter :)
Nice! I love eXpanse, I jumped straight on that as soon as it was announced ;)
I have actually never used Solaris and I can't remember if I have used Antidote before but I have heard great things about them

Throw that link straight over man!
I'm always game for tutorials and watching other people's process!

This Is LUST3R!

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

LUST3R wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:
LUST3R wrote:

Pretty sweet drop man!

I have actually never used Solaris and I can't remember if I have used Antidote before but I have heard great things about them

Much appreciated, b
Start with low volume it was my first tutorial, the example isn't as important as what's made in the video :) my zero and predator tutorials also have some decent tricks but are more cautious on volume

LUST3R

23 May 2017

aeox wrote:
LUST3R wrote:I just had a listen to that track in your signature before on SoundCloud :)
that is detuned unison saw wave in eXpanse (this may be called a supersaw, not sure :P) layered with a bass line. the gated effect you are talking about is what i would call a "filter pluck" using an envelope with a fast decay and automating the cutoff frequency. it is one of my favorite sounds, which grew on me from listening to deadmau5 over the years.

edit: oh, and the manual chopping and re-arranging of the layered chord progression in the sequencer :P
LUST3R wrote:It will be interesting to see the move over to Reason. I can't wait to see more big time music producers, dubstep producers in particular, move over to Reason.
if many existing dubstep producers don't migrate, many new producers will definitely hone their sound in Reason over the coming years. a lot of tutorials will surface and it will grow and grow. time will tell!

That sounds sweet man! I can hear the Deadmau5 influences in that kind of sound most definitely. Gotta love Joel's work though haha I remember back in the days of MySpace and Joel was just starting out as Deadmau5 and he didn't know how to use Cubase fully (which is what he used at the time) and we use to message back and forth on how to do certain things in Cubase! Haha xD

I think a lot of current producers will see how easy it is to do things like automation in Reason which has always been one of Reasons strong point and potentially move over for a easier workflow maybe

This Is LUST3R!

LUST3R

23 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
LUST3R wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:
LUST3R wrote:

Pretty sweet drop man!

Much appreciated, b
Start with low volume it was my first tutorial, the example isn't as important as what's made in the video :) my zero and predator tutorials also have some decent tricks but are more cautious on volume
Nice man!
I'm going to give that a watch now, then I'll check out what other stuff you have done :)

This Is LUST3R!

aeox
Competition Winner

23 May 2017

LUST3R wrote: That sounds sweet man! I can hear the Deadmau5 influences in that kind of sound most definitely. Gotta love Joel's work though haha I remember back in the days of MySpace and Joel was just starting out as Deadmau5 and he didn't know how to use Cubase fully (which is what he used at the time) and we use to message back and forth on how to do certain things in Cubase! Haha xD

I think a lot of current producers will see how easy it is to do things like automation in Reason which has always been one of Reasons strong point and potentially move over for a easier workflow maybe

oh yea? that's awesome man! shoot, i didn't even know what EDM was when I had myspace. I was too busy trying to "pimp my profile" and listening to metal. haha.

i absolutely love Reason's automation! i'm not familiar with how other DAWs handle automation, but FL studio( my old DAW) was not so great at it. huge step up in that regard.

side note: that song "The Pit" is badass
it's got some wicked bass synths :thumbs_up:

Oquasec

23 May 2017

As a guy who's tried a few dozen programs, I found bout 5 like Reason.
Cubase/Studio One/Protools/Usine Hollyhock/Reaper.
[Especially Reaper and Studio One]

These were the most immersive workflows and designs I've come across besides modular main in my time as a casual so far.
[I use two tableoscs connected to an expanse in a combinator if not messing with trusty thor/maelstrom]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

LUST3R

23 May 2017

aeox wrote:
LUST3R wrote: That sounds sweet man! I can hear the Deadmau5 influences in that kind of sound most definitely. Gotta love Joel's work though haha I remember back in the days of MySpace and Joel was just starting out as Deadmau5 and he didn't know how to use Cubase fully (which is what he used at the time) and we use to message back and forth on how to do certain things in Cubase! Haha xD

oh yea? that's awesome man! shoot, i didn't even know what EDM was when I had myspace. I was too busy trying to "pimp my profile" and listening to metal. haha.

i absolutely love Reason's automation! i'm not familiar with how other DAWs handle automation, but FL studio( my old DAW) was not so great at it. huge step up in that regard.

Yeah man! oh the days of pimp my profile ahaha! Back then I was making Psytrance, Ambient Electro and Industrial DnB, but sadly as Deadmau5 got bigger the contact grew thinner :(

So far I have used Reason, Ableton, FL Studio, Reaper, Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools and Reason has always been the one that I could just straight into with how easy I find it to use

Thanks man! Glad you like it! ;D

This Is LUST3R!

LUST3R

23 May 2017

aeox wrote:

Yeah man! oh the days of pimp my profile ahaha! Back then I was making Psytrance, Ambient Electro and Industrial DnB, but sadly as Deadmau5 got bigger the contact grew thinner :(

So far I have used Reason, Ableton, FL Studio, Reaper, Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools and Reason has always been the one that I could just straight into with how easy I find it to use

Thanks man! Glad you like it! ;D

This Is LUST3R!

LUST3R

23 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:As a guy who's tried a few dozen programs, I found bout 5 like Reason.
Cubase/Studio One/Protools/Usine Hollyhock/Reaper.
[Especially Reaper and Studio One]

These were the most immersive workflows and designs I've come across besides modular main in my time as a casual so far.
[I use two tableoscs connected to an expanse in a combinator if not messing with trusty thor/maelstrom]
I haven't tried Studio One or Usine Hollyhock as of yet, I might have to give them a go to see. It has been years since I have tried the others so I guess I need to see what they're like now and how user friendly they are these days. Back then I use to find Protools pretty confusing haha!

Reason and Cubase use to go hand in hand back when I studied Music Tech in school with the ReWire feature so I can see where you are coming from with that.

This Is LUST3R!

Oquasec

23 May 2017

If I had to pick a secondary for reason it'd be either studio one or protools. I liked those alooooooooot also.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

I used logic in highschool Because my school had a music production course which was awesome, back then I used Sony acid and just threw loops together haha but then I found reason and the story hasn't ended, I found logic to be quite user friendly, il have to use it again in my college courses but 4-5 years later I'm willing to bet the Logic Pro I knew of is probs a different worlod

LUST3R

23 May 2017

Oquasec wrote:If I had to pick a secondary for reason it'd be either studio one or protools. I liked those alooooooooot also.

I attempted to try and make Ableton and FL Studio my secondary's as these seem to be top in the Dubstep industry standard community but when I jumped in I was like "hmmm where the f do I start?!?"

I'll give the others a go but now Reason has VST support coming I don't think I'm going to need another DAW, thank god

This Is LUST3R!

• Information