(Art pop?) Vocals and synths

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jayhosking

09 Dec 2016

Just started working on vocal music again, and would love any feedback on how to better the sounds, mixes, etc. coming out of Reason.

For the curious/interested: main pad is built from a sample of a single key press in Emotional Piano, time-stretched and reversed into an NNXT, with Synchronous and an LFO-controlled RV7000; bass is Reason 9 stock 808 bass patch; snare is stock 808 Kong run through a Decimort2; arpeggio is built from a Red70, Decimort2, and the Echo; and vocals are recorded with an sE Voodoo VR2 into a Steinberg UR44 with the RE-2A on them.

Let me know what you think, and how I might make this music and mix better (i.e. more itself).

jappe

10 Dec 2016

Hi Jay,

I liked this a lot.

I'm listening on my Marshall London phone and the mix sounds great here.
The music is creative, beautiful.You have a great voice and this tune really sounds pro.

VHS

10 Dec 2016

I LOVE this. Those lyrics were great and your voice is fantastic. You could maybe add some reverb on the vocals or a few other things, but honestly, I think it sounds very personal and well mixed as is. .
That said, I would love to have a shot at remixing this, maybe put the vocals in a different context. PM me if you're interested, I promise it wont be dubstep. Either way, please re-post when you've settled on the final mix as I'd love to hear it!

jayhosking

10 Dec 2016

Hey, thanks so much, both of you!

VHS, remixing sounds fun, no matter the outcome. I'll send you a PM now.

ionly

10 Dec 2016

I like it A LOT. The extended vocal harmony part (up to 2:35) would sound the biz going slowly from narrow/dry to wide/monster-wash with an effect (verb/chorus/phaser?) Then bang, back to dry.
Maybe add a touch of mastering verb to the whole mix (600hz-7k), so it's barely audible(?)

My ears anyway
Cheers

jayhosking

10 Dec 2016

Hey thanks for the suggestion, ionly! I played a bit with reverb on the vocals but didn't try anything so wild. Might not fit the sombre feel of the current mix, but I'm going to give it a shot nonetheless. Maybe it'll lead to an entirely different mix!

ionly

10 Dec 2016

I would love a go at it also. You can dump it if you don't like it. And it's STILL YOUR tune. Pretty please ;)

Pi5cEan

10 Dec 2016

Yep, good stuff indeed.

jayhosking

10 Dec 2016

Hey yeah, no problem! It's all exciting for me. I'll send you a PM shortly.

ionly

11 Dec 2016

jayhosking wrote:Hey yeah, no problem! It's all exciting for me. I'll send you a PM shortly.
Marvellous :thumbs_up:

Cheers

hollyn

28 Jan 2017

Really lovely, Jay. You come across as heartfelt in all the right ways: a great song and arrangement with interesting timbres and a balanced mix.

I might suggest that you revisit it with fresh ears after you've been away from it for a bit to see if any lightning bolts strike when it's at arm's length.

My inner-ear soundtrack is imagining a few tweaks and additions here and there; but I'd hesitate to be specific because this mix really is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Holly

• Information