(Cover/sing training: Taylor Swift - Wildest Dream) Vocals review wanted

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jappe

15 May 2016

Hello,

is there any vocals expert (or even non-expert if you have something to say:-) who would kindly give some feedback & tips&tricks for my sons singing?

There are more songs there, he'd be very happy to get any feedback:-)
For example this one:

cosignsessions

15 May 2016

Jappe. For me to provide a critique (I am an ok vocal producer for a guy that can't sing!) I need a better recording where the guitar and vocals are tracked separately. Is that possible?

jappe

15 May 2016

cosignsessions wrote:Jappe. For me to provide a critique (I am an ok vocal producer for a guy that can't sing!) I need a better recording where the guitar and vocals are tracked separately. Is that possible?
I'll see if I can convince him to use my gear for recording rather than his mobile phone:-)

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 May 2016

I guess he's in tune and (wandering) time well enough but while it might be fashionable to deliver like this, to my view this sort of thing is far too self-conscious and tortured to be actually good. Even in comparison with 80s acts accused of weak singers (Depeche, Duran, Flock, Limahl...) this sort of faux-emotive singing does more damage than good as it is not remotely real. I think he needs to un-learn that style and start again with a more genuine delivery. Then he has a better chance of hitting the spot (which I think he may be capable of).

I would say the same to Taylor, Adele and just about every singer post Robbie Williams.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jappe

15 May 2016

Benedict wrote:I guess he's in tune and (wandering) time well enough but while it might be fashionable to deliver like this, to my view this sort of thing is far too self-conscious and tortured to be actually good. Even in comparison with 80s acts accused of weak singers (Depeche, Duran, Flock, Limahl...) this sort of faux-emotive singing does more damage than good as it is not remotely real. I think he needs to un-learn that style and start again with a more genuine delivery. Then he has a better chance of hitting the spot (which I think he may be capable of).

I would say the same to Taylor, Adele and just about every singer post Robbie Williams.

Thanks!
Is that a review for both "wildest dream" and the green day tune (or even the other songs on his Soundcloud?
I don't understand what faux-emotive singing is, but chances are my son will understand it.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 May 2016

I only listened to Wildest Dreams. I don't expect your son will know if you don't.

Compare the original Tears for Fears "Mad World" with that cover from a few years ago. Do the same with Sade vs Adele and you should hear that the former are natural human expression and the latter are people pretending to be very emotive whilst not connecting with their humanity at all. It is the result of thinking "I am singing (and being very emotional)" as opposed to actually communicating. As I said before, this is a fashion thing so for anyone who swallowed the Idol pill it seems impossible to make the distinction.

The Green Day track is too tortured.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

cuchi169

17 May 2016

I can't hear it right now but let me ask you if he knew any basics of breathing, diafragm support, phonation and resonance... this is very important To mantain the vocal health... then he can look for the sound he want To archieve...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

guitfnky

17 May 2016

He's got a good voice, but I'm with Benedict; it sounds like he's trying too hard to emote. Has he ever written his own songs? I would encourage him to do so, if he isn't already. And I mean spend some real time doing that. Dig in and really write for awhile, and forget about covers while he does. Before too long, he'll start to see himself coming through more and more. He's got a solid foundation, but he needs to figure out what makes his voice his own.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

cuchi169

18 May 2016

He is a tenor singing in baritone's register... thas not so healthy!

jappe

19 May 2016

guitfnky wrote:He's got a good voice, but I'm with Benedict; it sounds like he's trying too hard to emote. Has he ever written his own songs? I would encourage him to do so, if he isn't already. And I mean spend some real time doing that. Dig in and really write for awhile, and forget about covers while he does. Before too long, he'll start to see himself coming through more and more. He's got a solid foundation, but he needs to figure out what makes his voice his own.
Thank's, I've forwarded the feedback to him.
He has written a couple songs of his own some time ago. I also believe that it's a good way to develop.

jappe

19 May 2016

cuchi169 wrote:He is a tenor singing in baritone's register... thas not so healthy!

Thank's for feedback!
always thought he was a baritone, but you are not the only one giving him that feedback.
How does one know what register is most suitable?
Hmm...I don't even know my own register. Perhaps I'm a baritone trying to sing tenor...

cuchi169

19 May 2016

Well, it is not the best way To try but in the piano you have To sing from c To f in the next Octave To think you are a tenor... of course, studying you can sing the 2 complete octaves... it is a basic test, not the best

• Information