(Any Genre) Recording Volume Changes in realtime without destroying audio on track

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Beevo

17 Jan 2016

Hi. I'm using Reason 8 and still getting my head around some of it. I'm aware of right clicking on the volume of a track and adding an automation track. However I want to do what I have been used to doing when previously using LOGIC AUDIO. I want to record my movements to the volume of a track while it plays. When I do this in R8 it overwrites the audio also with nothing - therefor it destroys the audio while I'm recording the automation in realtime. It doesn't just record the automation of the volume adjustment. I don't want to edit dots on a screen to adjust the audio I want to MIX while I listen to the sound and record any volume changes I make to that track in realtime.

If I use ALT or Dub it creates another mixer track and therefore although I can record movement on the volume slider, I am making NO changes on the original track I want to be controlling and therefore this is useless to me because I cannot hear the volume changes in realtime.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Using Reason 10.1.2d.1

normen

17 Jan 2016

I don't know exactly what you're doing but no volume change in reason "destroys" the audio content of the files.

Beevo

17 Jan 2016

It's OK I've figured out a way around it. But just so you know what I'm talking about. I select the audio track which I already have audio on. Create an automation track for the volume slider and try to record the live volume changes as I play back and listen to the track with the mix. However It records over the audio also.

I have found a way around it anyway that suffices. I routed the mixer channel to another output bus and recorded THAT track volume up and down while listening to the mix. Problem sorted. Thanks anyway for replying
Using Reason 10.1.2d.1

Ronin

17 Jan 2016

Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
When you select a track, reason automatically marks it ready to record (audio/midi and automation).
If you only want automation you need to turn off the red circle with a black dot, and leave the one with the graph type thing on it.

ps/ this totally the wrong forum section for this question.

Beevo

17 Jan 2016

I knew there had to be something there to click - thanks Ronin that's great. Like I said, still getting my head around it. :-)
Using Reason 10.1.2d.1

Beevo

17 Jan 2016

Sorry for wrong posting. Just joined the forum today. Feel free to delete or transfer it.
Using Reason 10.1.2d.1

Ronin

17 Jan 2016

Beevo wrote:Sorry for wrong posting. Just joined the forum today. Feel free to delete or transfer it.
no worries, i cant do anything, just pointing it out :P

• Information