(Indie Electro Pop) My Cold Cold Heart (WIP)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mbfrancis

20 Sep 2015

OK this is a track that started organic (rhodes, acoustics), but is making it's way into this electro/trance pop thing. Bridge needs words. I'd love to hear from you EDM guys how the mix and arrangement sounds to you, any input appreciated. Thanks!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13215508
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

X1Lo

20 Sep 2015

Sick sick sick!
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

Auryn

22 Sep 2015

Hmmm, hmmm. EDM you say? Well, you have the E, as the mix sounds great and there are some interesting sounds in there. The M is also accounted for, it's a very musical track.

The D is going to be more of an issue though... IMHO the track is probably musically too complicated to really work as a dance track. I'm not sure as there's probably a lot of different ways you could arrange it. But as it is now there are a lot of of rhythmical changes and breaks which prevented me from settling into a dance groove. For example, the "aaaaah aaaah" bit that starts at 2:30 makes the track lose momentum to me. And losing the 4/4 kick during the "cold cold heart" chorus also didn't really work for me.

These criticisms are pretty contingent on you wanting listeners to dance to this track though!
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Marco Raaphorst

22 Sep 2015

Cool track!

The drums in the refrains are pushed back in the mix. Snaredrum and toms and too low in the mix. Add distortions to it for additional transients for example.

The bridge at 2:29 breaks the rhyhtm and makes it too much of a 60s affair. Could use an EDM build with a drop.

mbfrancis

23 Sep 2015

Great feedback, guys, thanks!

@auryn - I wasn't really going for a dance track, more of a electro indie head nodder I guess, but I think it's fair to say that there are too many changes. The original arrangement of this song was even *more* schizo, so this is an improvement, but you can hear the context of the bridge.

@Marco great mix tips thanks...what's wrong with a 60s bridge lol. :) You're right though, if I keep the bridge, I will add electronics so it's not such a change (there's a slight tempo change, too).
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information