(Electronic metal) Drones - Synthetic Flesh

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2015

This is from my instrumental electronic metal project Synthetic Flesh. When I made this I didn't own any rack extensions yet so this is all made with native devices from Reason 7.

jappe

18 Sep 2015

Lol, I was listening to quiet mixed music before your tune and had turned the volume pretty much up...THAT woke me up!
If everyone was listening to music like this - average age would climb sky high - because all with weak heart and high strokeability factor would not be with us anylonger.

This sounds really pro...very inspiring music. I used to listen to something similar many years ago:
Fear Factory:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2015

jappe wrote:This sounds really pro...very inspiring music. I used to listen to something similar many years ago:
Fear Factory
Thanks. I've listened to Fear Factory too in the past and I'm sure some of those influences has creeped in to this project. Maybe not so much with the electronic elements but more from a song writing standpoint, the way they write their drum rhythm parts and riffs.

Auryn

20 Sep 2015

Hey! I didn't know Electronic Metal was a thing, or did you just invent it? I always thought some dubstep tunes were like electronic heavy metal, but here you've made the real thing. Really cool style. And no RE's? I'm impressed. I especially like the really fast breaks with the blast beats.

Some constructive criticism: the lead synth sound is still a bit static. Could use some modulation/freaking, perhaps add some vibrato (just plug a pulsar or similar LFO into the pitch bend CV in of the synth :-)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2015

Auryn wrote:Hey! I didn't know Electronic Metal was a thing, or did you just invent it? I always thought some dubstep tunes were like electronic heavy metal, but here you've made the real thing. Really cool style. And no RE's? I'm impressed. I especially like the really fast breaks with the blast beats.

Some constructive criticism: the lead synth sound is still a bit static. Could use some modulation/freaking, perhaps add some vibrato (just plug a pulsar or similar LFO into the pitch bend CV in of the synth :-)
Thanks. I'm not sure Electronic metal is a thing. It's more like I couldn't find it so I made it myself kinda thing. I've heard other ways of mixing electronica with metal but not like this.
Your vibrato advice on the lead might be a good idea, but this music is already released and I've even sold some copies of the record. So in my way of looking at it there's no way I'm going back to change things now. It's done. Still might be worth thinking about for future projects. Thanks again.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 20 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Bloma

20 Sep 2015

That's pretty sick man. Great compressed sound but not too compressed that it pumps, just right. Reason is powerful as fuck with its native devices, people round here get too caught up in rack extensions I reckon.

jonheal

21 Sep 2015

Very powerful. Pity the poor drummer who'd have to keep up with that bit in the middle ...
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2015

That was pretty good. There are a few people mining that seam incl. Aussie band Voyager. It is like Prog Rock lite with overtones of Metal like this

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2015

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.

Bloma

23 Sep 2015

Do you wanna run us through some of the things you did for this song?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2015

Bloma wrote:Do you wanna run us through some of the things you did for this song?
Sure. Without getting into too much detail, here's how I've worked with sounds overall.

Synths: Lots of layering, it doesn't matter if it's leads, chords, riff sounds or whatever, there's always more than one synth playing each part.
Also on probably every synth sound there's some type of distortion, mostly from Scream, but sometimes from the Line 6 amps. You just can't get the sound aggressive enough by using only the synths themselves, at least not for the sound I'm after.
Many times I've treated the synths as guitars, panning them hard right and left with slightly different "takes" to get a wider sound instead of using chorus and other "stereoy" effects.

Drums is a bit the same actually, layered snares and cymbals. Some distortion on the bassdrum. Some compression too.

chimp_spanner

24 Sep 2015

Yeah this is great dude! Love the machine-gun kicks. As already mentioned, very Fear Factory. On the subject of Electronic Metal, you should check out my labelmate, The Algorithm. Nice mix of glitch and guitar stuff. He's an Ableton dude though.

But yeah, really nice work!

Tincture

24 Sep 2015

Just want to add my congrats to those above. Really interesting music and sound and all native R7 - kudos :)

Last Alternative

25 Sep 2015

Dude that was killer. Sounds like stuff I listen to sometimes. Metal game music. Totally rad. Sounded perfect.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Bloma

25 Sep 2015

I just listened to it again, and it really does sound awesome. What are some of the drum sounds you used?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:Yeah this is great dude! Love the machine-gun kicks. As already mentioned, very Fear Factory. On the subject of Electronic Metal, you should check out my labelmate, The Algorithm. Nice mix of glitch and guitar stuff. He's an Ableton dude though.

But yeah, really nice work!
Thanks. I've heard some of The Algorithm songs and I liked it. As you say it's more glitchy and from the examples I heard more ambient sounding than my stuff. I tend to write in a more straight forward kind of way.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2015

Bloma wrote:I just listened to it again, and it really does sound awesome. What are some of the drum sounds you used?
Appreciate it. I can't remember the exact samples but since many of them are layered and put through compression, EQ, reverb, sometimes distortion they're probably pretty unrecognizable anyway.
I rarely use drum samples as they are without some type of processing, the exception might be cymbals and hihats where it's just subtle EQ and maybe some reverb to make it sit in the mix better.
I think most drum samples came from the Kong patches, might have been something from the Redrum patches too. Some cymbal sounds came from a Reason drum refill if I remember correctly.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2015

I'll put two other songs from this EP if anyone wants to listen.

"New World" which is a pretty simple melodic song with bursts of aggression here and there.

"Catharsis" which is like putting your head in a blender for 3 minutes straight :). If you don't like blastbeats you're probably not gonna enjoy this one.

Bloma

25 Sep 2015

Catharsis is really good. Reminds me of Strapping Young Lad in some parts, which is awesome.

• Information