(EBM/Dystopic Space) Microcosmic Attack: Arrangement feedback wanted.

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jappe

12 Sep 2015

Hi all!

I wonder if you EBM/Space music lovers would be so kind to comment on the arrangement on this draft tune - does it work for the genres?

I apologize for the crap mix, no feedback needed for that at this time,it's version 0.001 of the mix, I basically just compressed the heck out of it to make it a bit tighter for listening. I hope it's just good enough to get a feeling of the tune to be.

Here is the background story, the year is somewhere in the relatively near future:

Forty years ago, scientists detected phenomenons which could only have been created by an intelligent species.
It took ten years to find out that the phenomenons were messages, directed to Earth.
It took yet ten years to decipher the messages, only to reveal the horrifying truth: they were unspecified threats to everything living on the planet Earth.

20 years ago, the initiated leaders of the world started to cooperate in order to counter the threat. A goal to set up a World Government of the Nation of Earth was set.
The scientists worked in parallel to create a defense shield of weapons never seen before, which would orbit the Earth in massive clusters.
They knew the date when they would be attacked. This is a sad song about the aftermath, sung by an unknown citizen of the now fallen Nation of Earth.

Lyrics "Microcosmic Attack":

We were waiting for them to arrive,
we were prepared.
Things had started to change, we felt them,
we saw them

All nations had joined,
in a World Government.
Weapons in orbit, shield was up,
we were prepared.

Nation of Earth was watching the skies
Waiting for the attack
But the sky was clear, and suddenly,
our souls started to tremble

Chor:
They came from within
They attacked every human,
whether saint or with sin
Everyone changed

Everyone changed
They were in control
They took our minds
They came from within

https://instaud.io/bFM

Auryn

12 Sep 2015

Hey, I'm not much of an EBM listener but I listened to this track. I thought the arrangement was good, it tells a story and it kept me interested throughout, so I wouldn't worry about that. But, as it's a track about a microcosmic attack, you could consider putting some doomy or frightening sounds in there to set the atmosphere. Warp the piano, freak the vocals, that sort of thing.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

jappe

12 Sep 2015

Auryn wrote:Hey, I'm not much of an EBM listener but I listened to this track. I thought the arrangement was good, it tells a story and it kept me interested throughout, so I wouldn't worry about that. But, as it's a track about a microcosmic attack, you could consider putting some doomy or frightening sounds in there to set the atmosphere. Warp the piano, freak the vocals, that sort of thing.
Thank's for the feedback Auryn, I will keep your advise in mind when I continue with the tune!
Still much to do with the tune, I only started it this evening. The tune needs fillers and automation to transport the listener through the repetitive sections, and frightening sounds setting the atmosphere sounds just like the perfect thing.

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2015

Hi Jappe

This is interesting and unexpected. I am a sucker for pianos with over-loud action but I wonder how it fits in this piece. Maybe ass you add sounds etc it will make sense.

The New Wave/Prog fusion is cool in my book but I think needs more bombast and flourish. To me this seems far more Pallas than Neon Judgement.

Keep at it, esp if you make a whole suite as there is always an interest in new Prog epics.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jappe

12 Sep 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi Jappe

This is interesting and unexpected. I am a sucker for pianos with over-loud action but I wonder how it fits in this piece. Maybe ass you add sounds etc it will make sense.

The New Wave/Prog fusion is cool in my book but I think needs more bombast and flourish. To me this seems far more Pallas than Neon Judgement.

Keep at it, esp if you make a whole suite as there is always an interest in new Prog epics.

:)
Thank's for feedback Benedict :)
The piano is my default instrument I come to think about anywhere I need something emotional or sad. I notice my tunes - cross genre - have pretty often piano Intro/Outro.
Let's see where creativity takes me on this.
I listen a lot to VNV Nation, they have this great tune, starting with piano, but they merge it with the rest in a good way.

So merging the piano with the other instruments in a better way, also making a smoother transition, that would do the trick I hope.
A very very subtle pad in the background when the piano plays perhaps; Or mixing in a homeopatic amount of only the reverb/echo effect of a lead playing the piano track in parallel.
Shall try to glue it together!

Thank's for the tip about Pallas and Neon Judgement - never heard of them before!

And yes, since I made a background story, a suite would be nice if I can keep the pace on this genre track.
Mind In A Box is also gr8 inpiration for me:

• Information