Where Do Old Tracks Go When They Die ?

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Namahs Amrak

04 Sep 2015

I'm sure we all have many unfinished projects hogging our hard drives. Great ideas that were never followed through, for whatever reason.

So let's listen to some of them. Share your retired odditties.

This was a project I started on, to showcase Ron Papen's Vecto synth. I got slack, time ran out, and this sits in the graveyard....

My Words are my ART

submonsterz

04 Sep 2015

In the recycle bin ....
No keeping or getting back . If they don't get made or finnished on a reopen after the event ie a second chance it's the bin it goes .

pLansford

04 Sep 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:This was a project I started on, to showcase Ron Papen's Vecto synth. I got slack, time ran out, and this sits in the graveyard....
Wow this is pretty damn good. Interesting piece. This doesn't belong in the graveyard. :o
submonsterz wrote:In the recycle bin ....
No keeping or getting back . If they don't get made or finnished on a reopen after the event ie a second chance it's the bin it goes .
I agree...I either stop at eight bars or just keep going!

My tracks are really simple though so it's just a matter of trying to keep things interesting for me. :lol:

Tincture

04 Sep 2015

Nice original track KS. Love the bass after the break, very mellow and great sound. That gated verb is nice too. I love to hear tracks like this :)

submonsterz

04 Sep 2015

pLansford wrote:
Namahs Amrak wrote:This was a project I started on, to showcase Ron Papen's Vecto synth. I got slack, time ran out, and this sits in the graveyard....
Wow this is pretty damn good. Interesting piece. This doesn't belong in the graveyard. :o
submonsterz wrote:In the recycle bin ....
I agree...I either stop at eight bars or just keep going!

My tracks are really simple though so it's just a matter of trying to keep things interesting for me. :lol:
Minimal does not allways equate to simple Pete sometimes even minimal can be very complex in its design . KeepING something minimal but interesting for a full length usually involves a lot more complex Jiggery Pokerys than creating ever evolving tracks with lots of changes and directions that are only but loosely connected . Lots of tracks I hear from people have way to much change and incoherent flow to it . ;)

Namahs Amrak

04 Sep 2015

pLansford wrote:This doesn't belong in the graveyard
The amount of hours I spend of projects eventually leads me to a point that it sickens me to continue, plus I have no interest (or experience) in the mixing side of this hobby. Also, that song is entirely Vecto except for some of the percussion (although I reall that some percussion might even be out of the synth), and the trial has expired, so the source is unplayable.
submonsterz wrote: If they don't get made or finnished on a reopen after the event ie a second chance it's the bin it goes .
Jeebers, that's completely the opposite to me. I probably open a song file 100 times or more to keep fucking around with the composition, instruments and FX
My Words are my ART

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2015

I am of the finish or delete school. I finish a piece as well as I can and move on. As I get to the end of an album I go back to those iffy tracks and they either get upgraded or become bonus tracks. If something really won't work I toss it out to make it easier to pick those ideas up again at another time - sometimes they come back years later.

The Vecto track starts nicely then loses steam toward the end. Why not re-purpose for another Comp? Vecto isn't the only instrument that can play notes you know ;)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Namahs Amrak

04 Sep 2015

Benedict wrote:I am of the finish or delete school. I finish a piece as well as I can and move on. As I get to the end of an album I go back to those iffy tracks and they either get upgraded or become bonus tracks. If something really won't work I toss it out to make it easier to pick those ideas up again at another time - sometimes they come back years later.
I cannot delete anything, and have over a thousand little bits & pieces stored for no apparent purpose. Its getting ridiculous now with the file sizes (audio)
Benedict wrote:The Vecto track starts nicely then loses steam toward the end.
Yes, it absolutely does lose steam. This is unfinished, and I just left the bass line meander on so I can pick up the guitar and jam against it, and see what gems I may stumble across. Almost all of my MIDI compositions start from guitar bits...... an guitar rarely makes it on to the song

Maybe next year I'll buy Vecto, and revisit this tune, once I have build a super PC that won't cripple under multiple device instances.
My Words are my ART

pLansford

04 Sep 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:The amount of hours I spend of projects eventually leads me to a point that it sickens me to continue, plus I have no interest (or experience) in the mixing side of this hobby. Also, that song is entirely Vecto except for some of the percussion (although I reall that some percussion might even be out of the synth), and the trial has expired, so the source is unplayable.
Hmmm. I think I average around 20 hours a project and I don't do stimulants so that's a few days. I wouldn't say I like mixing so much but rather I try to improve on making my tracks stand up to my reference tracks. The ideal scenario for me would be to have one of my tracks dropped into some underground DJ's mix and it has to be able to play well with the other tracks. I'm not a DJ and I don't want to be a DJ. That's pretty cool to synthesize the percussion though. I'm too picky about my percussion samples and I like organic sounds.

motuscott

05 Sep 2015

I'll do it on an about yearly basis depending on output (not so great lately). Still I will save an audio file even if I don't save a project file, the better to kick myself with later.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Namahs Amrak

05 Sep 2015

Do you have a retired unfinished track to share.?
My Words are my ART

joet63

06 Sep 2015

For me Namahs, the tracks don't die as such, they still live in the file folder and I go over them now and again and sometimes discover that it can be tweaked some more, neverending story I hear you say hahahaha Most of them are just snippets of ideas and I like to think they may become songs or a part of a track someday :puf_bigsmile:
:adapted: :reason: :record: :recycle: :refill: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :ignition: :re: :PUF_figure: :rt:
R5 Record iMac 2.0 Core 2 Duo 4Gb of RAM

Rook

08 Sep 2015

This reminds me that I need to go through a lot of my stuff that never developed past the 8-bar-loop thing and just bounce out any good bits as samples. Then just delete the project file. It would probably be a good weeknight "house keeping" type project. Might try to start on it tonight...

JNeffLind

08 Sep 2015

Cool track man. I dig it. Aside from the first ten seconds, the second half is preferrable to me as the first half strikes me as a bit bland (though pretty but in a sort of syrupy sweet kind of way) until the distorted guitar sound comes in, but that's just my taste. I tend to not like overly synthy stuff and prefer a more spare and rhythmic sound.

As for where the tracks go when they die. Mine never die. I've currently got about sixty songs I'm working on. Each one inching forward. Eventually a tidal wave will crash upon these rocky shores.

mbfrancis

11 Sep 2015

Apropos the topic, I found this interview w/ Printz Board of the Black Eyed Peas to be incredibly inspirational. Basically his method is *always finish*...i.e., never start something and leave it unfinished. If you only have 15 minutes, aim to have a completed track in 15 minutes. (I wish I could do it.)

Starts about 20:30.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information