But is it EDM...?

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
pushedbutton

30 Jul 2015

https://www.propellerheads.se/s/WU9gReRb
Not irritated you guys with some shitty music for a while so I decided to up my game and come up with something totally paint by numbers.
I drew this into blocks then into the sequencer before hitting play and this is what I came up with. Don't hate me.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2015

If I had Reason 8 I would have run with that as I can hear something in there trying to come through....... But to start with I would totally need to change the sound design..

pushedbutton

01 Aug 2015

yeah don't worry, i would have made better decisions if i was listening to it
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

pushedbutton

09 Aug 2015

You need Reason 8.3 to open this.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Is it 128?
If yes, then it is EDM.
127 is reserved for the cool kids that make Techno, Tech House, Tech Funk and really really good 2007 BWG (before Wolfgang Gartner) Electro House.

129 is for weirdos who like to paint miniature cowboys and indians.

130-134 is treading genius territory as is 123-126 although the slower tempos are usually for Hipster/Banker types. The more minimal guys wouldn't know a + on a technic or cdj pitch fader if you taped off the - end, but they can tell you how Plastikman and Felix the House Cat recorded each record.
The 1130-134 guys, you could trust them with your daughters. They still have at least one pair of shell toes in their wardrobe, they've played vinyl, cdjs and traveled over 500 miles to see their favorite artists. they've seen genres come and go and enjoy playing just about anything jacking or breaking. Just prepare for the turntable nazi battle of the century if you invite them over to dust off old Marine Parade, Hooj and Bedrock Vinyl.

My Peace and I'm sticking to it.

PS
I do not recommend every touching a pitch fader while a hipster dj is playing. Unless it's 128

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:Is it 128?
If yes, then it is EDM.
127 is reserved for the cool kids that make Techno, Tech House, Tech Funk and really really good 2007 BWG (before Wolfgang Gartner) Electro House.

129 is for weirdos who like to paint miniature cowboys and indians.

130-134 is treading genius territory as is 123-126 although the slower tempos are usually for Hipster/Banker types. The more minimal guys wouldn't know a + on a technic or cdj pitch fader if you taped off the - end, but they can tell you how Plastikman and Felix the House Cat recorded each record.
The 1130-134 guys, you could trust them with your daughters. They still have at least one pair of shell toes in their wardrobe, they've played vinyl, cdjs and traveled over 500 miles to see their favorite artists. they've seen genres come and go and enjoy playing just about anything jacking or breaking. Just prepare for the turntable nazi battle of the century if you invite them over to dust off old Marine Parade, Hooj and Bedrock Vinyl.

My Peace and I'm sticking to it.

PS
I do not recommend every touching a pitch fader while a hipster dj is playing. Unless it's 128
What about 120?

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Totally cool if your playing a crowd, friends house party or alone with your girl.

Not cool if you're doing it while watching Nascar or eating tacos. Also not cool if it is Lil Wayne, Wacka Flacka or in the mall at the puma store, not even if you have to make rent.

If you ever play at a Puma Store in the mall, Play Hard Berlin Techno 136 or higher.
If you ever play a skating rink, 80s electro and freestyle can be played at any speed. Yes Hall and Oates is acceptable. No Earth Wind and Fire.

Earth Wind and Fire is for Weddings only. I suggest trying to find as many Drum and Bass/Earth Wind and Fire Mashup as possible. They cannot be slower than 174.

If you play rap music, please find songs recorded in English. If you have to play ghetto shit, don't expect to get paid.
If you want to make money playing live learn the mandolin. Blue Grass Honeys are the best, they smell good too.

Unless they own cats. Cats are bad, unless they kill snakes.

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:Totally cool if your playing a crowd, friends house party or alone with your girl.

Not cool if you're doing it while watching Nascar or eating tacos. Also not cool if it is Lil Wayne, Wacka Flacka or in the mall at the puma store, not even if you have to make rent.

If you ever play at a Puma Store in the mall, Play Hard Berlin Techno 136 or higher.
If you ever play a skating rink, 80s electro and freestyle can be played at any speed. Yes Hall and Oates is acceptable. No Earth Wind and Fire.

Earth Wind and Fire is for Weddings only. I suggest trying to find as many Drum and Bass/Earth Wind and Fire Mashup as possible. They cannot be slower than 174.

If you play rap music, please find songs recorded in English. If you have to play ghetto shit, don't expect to get paid.
If you want to make money playing live learn the mandolin. Blue Grass Honeys are the best, they smell good too.

Unless they own cats. Cats are bad, unless they kill snakes.
If I was well off with lots of money, I'd hire you. I don't know what for but you have a magic stick. Keep up the creative thinking.

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

Sorry pushedbutton for not responding to your track before replying to freeQ. I agree with PoohBear that the sound design needs work. I can hear lots of potential in this piece if more of your time and work went into it. Not as easy as it sounds though right? It's cool if you want to have fun and post doodles but I would really like to hear something from you that comes from the depths if you know what I mean.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:Sorry pushedbutton for not responding to your track before replying to freeQ. I agree with PoohBear that the sound design needs work. I can hear lots of potential in this piece if more of your time and work went into it. Not as easy as it sounds though right? It's cool if you want to have fun and post doodles but I would really like to hear something from you that comes from the depths if you know what I mean.
Sounds like someone has a HUGE Sample collection, like me.

Yeah nothing wrong with doing that on the fly if pushed for time or many other reasons.

What you did and what you are trying to do aren't far off.
Preselecting kits and sounds you know are good and prepping them for a track are really hard to do because REASON is so much fun.

I have a friend who just bought reason. He is from Miami so him thinking an 808 bass drum is the bass line on every track or any (with electro and techno being the only exceptions) Outside Dirty South Rap.

It's quick, it's fun, it's "hey check this out dude" but try putting a little more time into that approach.
Build some nice Kong Kits with Bus/Parallel channels.
Try finding a couple different ways of building compression sidechains, gates, LFOs and save those patches.

Create an initial patched Thor as a sine wave, create your way out of it a few ways and save each one.

Having those few things ready to go and then sprinkling loops on top while using creative effects and cut some ranges and volumes will make that approach a lot easier and more satisfactory.

I love loops for many reasons.
I have tons of saved songs like yours that sound cool from just toying around, but the songs are themselves loops.
Creating 100 songs in a similar manner may wield some insight into a direction you want to go, but all that time is better spent on sound design, macros and exploring what it is you seek but from a more comfortable seat!

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

and by the way
this is not EDM
it's more like a progressive Hungarian polka step with a twist of deep happy Prussian dub house.

Nice one

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

I'm drunk and all I remember is freeQ saying something about having sounds already picked out and sprinkling loops around. Nah don't do that. I've spent hours screwing around with that WBL drone RE. I hate EDM and the entire culture. I hope I can get to where I'm going in a few years. I want to produce 4x4 dance music for cannibals at dark festivals.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

If I was well off with lots of money, I'd hire you. I don't know what for but you have a magic stick. Keep up the creative thinking.
Partners?
Always looking for limited and limited liability partners in my business!

Some call it ADHD.
I call it catching me with my DAW turned off ;')

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:Partners?
I don't know what liability means but momma says me and everything around me has a one way ticket to the wasteland.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:I'm drunk and all I remember is freeQ saying something about having sounds already picked out and sprinkling loops around. Nah don't do that. I've spent hours screwing around with that WBL drone RE. I hate EDM and the entire culture. I hope I can get to where I'm going in a few years. I want to produce 4x4 dance music for cannibals at dark festivals.
I just made an EDM Loop, wanna hear it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3uap5zb4inlt ... O.wav?dl=0

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
freeQlow wrote:Partners?
I don't know what liability means but momma says me and everything around me has a one way ticket to the wasteland.
Welcome to the Jungle Baby, You're gonna Die.

If you can say 4x4 with the passion you just invoked, you're already in heaven!
Attachments
IMG_265533693256883.jpeg
IMG_265533693256883.jpeg (112.09 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:I just made an EDM Loop, wanna hear it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3uap5zb4inlt ... O.wav?dl=0
It makes me feel like I'm getting too old. I've been in a constant 4AM kind of mellow mood for a few years. I checked out your SC link B4 hand - was already impressed - just my not my kinda vibe.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

cool, that's my freq boutique thing and won't be mixed in with my house and techno dirty pleasures.

Let me see what I can post.
okay 2 cool things.
1st a remix comp on Beatport for chocolate puma, missed the deadline.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r3v7leybvgpz ... tItNa?dl=0

2nd, are you looking to work with someone? Can you post or PM me some of your tunes as well?
This might be a good bread & butter number. Just found it on my phone and forgot about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dor9f4kj3qd6s ... b.wav?dl=0

I have an old friend from Orlando who lives in San Diego. He has a house release of mine coming out. I will send that when I get the master.

Both these links are reason.

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:cool, that's my freq boutique thing and won't be mixed in with my house and techno dirty pleasures.

Let me see what I can post.
okay 2 cool things.
1st a remix comp on Beatport for chocolate puma, missed the deadline.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r3v7leybvgpz ... tItNa?dl=0

2nd, are you looking to work with someone? Can you post or PM me some of your tunes as well?
This might be a good bread & butter number. Just found it on my phone and forgot about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dor9f4kj3qd6s ... b.wav?dl=0

I have an old friend from Orlando who lives in San Diego. He has a house release of mine coming out. I will send that when I get the master.

Both these links are reason.
Your first link with dropbox ain't working for me. Now listening to the second techno track and it's pretty cool - needs a main melody to latch onto. Collaborations are nice; it could be fun working with people but I'm a destructive person. That translates to me thinking and expressing that everything is shit.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

Hahahaha.
You said you hated EDM, go figure.
That chocolate puma remix is on the kingpin EDM label, Dimak. Probably why I didn't finish.

I know what you mean by destructive, completely.
I don't listen to tracks when asked to remix.

What's your style then? Deep? Incorrect, Suara, Mode Black?

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

thanks for the feedback!

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

pushedbutton wrote:https://www.propellerheads.se/s/WU9gReRb
Not irritated you guys with some shitty music for a while so I decided to up my game and come up with something totally paint by numbers.
I drew this into blocks then into the sequencer before hitting play and this is what I came up with. Don't hate me.
By the way, I don't hate you.
I love your humility and sense of humor.

How long you been using? Reason?
How often do you go bug out in loopville?
It's very easy in Reason because it's such a fun program.

What styles of music are you into, have a favorite genre?
Favorite Song? Favorite artist?
When the music is so good we often get lost in it and it sounds perfect. On our ends, a lot of what we make gets listened to and never finished. We think we can eventually do this so repetitively that we will pop one out after an all nighter, evntually.

It takes time.
If you ever have a short list of questions or need help, feel free to PM me.

MY FATHER TAUGHT ME

"WE ALL PUT OUR PANTS ON THE SAME WAY!"

pLansford

10 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:Hahahaha.
You said you hated EDM, go figure.
That chocolate puma remix is on the kingpin EDM label, Dimak. Probably why I didn't finish.

I know what you mean by destructive, completely.
I don't listen to tracks when asked to remix.

What's your style then? Deep? Incorrect, Suara, Mode Black?
You have a nice remix but it could be mixed better...lacking excitement and needs more bottom end for starters. I don't care about big names to be honest. If you don't listen to tracks when "asked to remix" then how can somebody take you seriously? I'd say a big part of remixing is taking a piece of the original track and turning it into something else. I don't have a style and I'll piss on some expectations first chance I get. Just make sure it's after 4AM so I can tap into that mood.

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

oh yeah, never finished that one.
I was working from the pc at my office for 2 months. If I tried opening a combinator, chenille or a few thors, pc too slow.
There was zero to nil mixing on that. a little EQ, volume hpf/lpf automation is about it.

I have my 4 am at 4pm sometimes. Most of the time it's after my 2 y.o. daughter goes to bed

See how things shake out this year. May just move my office into my house.
Having work and play around at the same time can be very distracting.

I mean, yes of course I listen to tracks.
I would listen to a house tune more closely than my main genre. I'll turn that corner soon.

Work, Family, Work, Family.
Doing this for fun and to learn. Achieved a sense of confidence in 2010 but got a career going and had a baby.
Wouldn't trade that for the world.

If you ever wanna bounce anything my head go ahead.
Hope to hear some boom age soon mh man!

Ttyl

• Information