(light Prog Rock) - "Eye In The Sky" cover

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jul 2015

Hi All

This is a rare cover from me. I am presenting an Instrumental cover of Alan Parsons Project "Eye In The Sky" as a non-album single to lead to my new album "Watchers".

This is from a MIDI File I sourced online and I made all the sounds - pretty well all Thor and Subtractor. I also had to add a little fru fru to top and tail as the track comes from the middle of a record and I always hear it that way in my head.

If you feel it sounds too "elevator" then don't feel the need to make that comment as I am aware of that and still like it anyway.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2015

No replies. Did we all hate this? Did I do something wrong?

Benedict Roff-Marsh

raymondh

25 Jul 2015

Hi Benedict, since you asked .. :)

I am generally not a fan of using MIDI files, because most of them are designed for GM soundsets, that as a rule are pretty weak, and it seems to me (just my opinion) that the arrangements in the MIDI files are built with this limitation. For example you won't find the MIDI files playing long sweeping, evolving pads, because they don't exist in the GM palette.

A good example of how this sounds GM midi - is the drum track, which I don't feel suits the mood of the song.

Now look at your own brilliant sound design skills, you know how to make big, fantastic sounds, and I feel they are wasted by a MIDI file designed for GM sounds.

That's the critical part out of the way.

Let's talk about the sounds.
The guitar sounds in here are absolutely brilliant - I have no idea how you did it but major kudos!! Extremely convincing, I would have sworn they were guitar samples.
The EP is also perfect. (and the EP line in the MIDI file is actually really nice)
So are the rest of the sounds. I think I would have used one of your vocal sounds for the vocal melody but I'm sure whether it would have been any better or worse.

My suggestion would be; replace the GM-sounding tracks (not because of the sounds but because of the arrangement) with your own lines, I know you have the talent to do this. I bet you could make the track sparkle just by replacing the drum track with something less busy, using bigger drums, and with some more interesting transitions.
Another suggestion (and you may not want to do this) is to showcase more of your sounds. I think it would be interesting if you added phrases of your own that did not exist in the original song, where you feel they add your own character to the original song.

You have a flair for orchestral arrangements. I'd really like to hear the Benedict style on this track here.

Just my 2c.

cheers
Raymond

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2015

Thanks Ray

All good and correct points. I admit I was lazy in that I didn't attempt to improve the MIDIness of the notes and drums. My only input to the notes were my intro and outro which really was copy and paste of existing content. I just had time to kill and wanted to see what sounds I would make with those notes. I thought on making it more my own but to be honest I am scared of taking apart someone else's piece as I just don't have the right skills. I make sounds. Except the main Ep which is ID8 as it fitted perfectly (with some Echobode)

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Dante

26 Jul 2015

I liked it - I was an Alan Parsons fan in the early days, especially I Robot. I think it could be improved with rock drums.

in fact this inspires me to do a cover of I Robot which is instrumental.

Here's a cover I made of Mr Mister 'Broken Wings' on Reason, but without substituting a lead synth for the vocal, and used the 707 RE for drums:

It IS very possible to build great sounding tracks from General MIDI files.

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2015

Thanks Dante. I think your "broken Wings" needs something to fill the hole left by the vocal as while it is lovely track it clearly has something missing right now. Make sure you post if you tackle "I Robot".

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Dante

26 Jul 2015

Can you sing ? :lol:

Actually, being Aussie, you might like his one better - its a cover of 'Great Southern Land' but the lyrics are a bit different.... :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x94iHNKkUt8

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2015

Trust me, you don't want to ask me to sing. I'm not really very good at it. I managed when I did EBM but now... Best not I think.

I love Icehouse. Iva is such a talent. Of course your version is a little less sweeping in subject ;)

Benedict Roff-Marsh

raymondh

27 Jul 2015

There are so many Australian bands that are iconic. Even as a Kiwi I must admit it haha.
For a country of 19M people, Aussie hits well above its belt in great artists, always has.
My favourites - Icehouse, Midnight Oil, Pseudo Echo, TISM, AC/DC, Eurogliders, Real Life, INXS, Little River Band, Air Supply, Mental As Anything.
And then really great singles from other bands like Mondo Rock's "Come Said The Boy", John Farnhams "You're The Voice", and so many others...

4filegate

27 Jul 2015

Hi Benedict,

Raymond does a lot of essential analyzing - I'd preferences playground ID8 /GM source and be far away of mostly format disaster, there is start point of the journey.

YT work with scanlines and send bloodhounds http://youtu.be/YUFGFCkho6w

I had severe additives on origin ingredients - concept by Idioms - send a message back; state of the art &. himself additives programming /modulations, on YT had now no problem ;)
Dante wrote:I liked it - I was an Alan Parsons fan in the early days, especially I Robot. I think it could be improved with rock drums.

in fact this inspires me to do a cover of I Robot which is instrumental. It IS very possible to build great sounding tracks from General MIDI files.
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/4filegate/padpod-4filegate-avm

Dante

27 Jul 2015

@RaymondH - you left out Split Enz ! I'd add them to best Aussie bands even though kiwi, and up there if not better than some you mentioned. Can't say I was as partial to crowded house tho....

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2015

I was going to poke Ray over Split Enz, Dragon, Mi Sex and Sharon O'Neil. All good Aussie bands ;) (we stole from NZ).

I found Split Enz patchy with lots of strange songs but some great. My fave was always "I Hope I Never". Crowded House were more even but I tended to find them a tad dull (but that is what the market wanted at t he time). "Don't Dream It's Over" is a superb song either way.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

jappe

23 Aug 2015

Hi Benedict!

I listened to Alan Parsons a lot those years.

Typing while listening
The instruments sounds perfectly mixed from my Mackie HR624 monitors.
The synth that replaces the vocals isn't my favorite sound because the filter decay sounds repetitive in some odd way especially when it's playing faster notes.
Other than that, it sounds great to me - pleasant sounds as usual!
And now a great guitar comes in.
Ah some noise wind, always nice:-)

Oh and what you say about vocals and EBM - I've thought about doing more EBM and perhaps Industrial really since I think it's a slightly more forgiving genre when it comes to vocals!

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2015

Thaks Jappe

I miss EBM (the real early stuff) and have considered trying again but every time I get started I turn the piece back into my current style.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Namahs Amrak

23 Aug 2015

How about silverchair ? Once they got over their teen-angst phase, they wrote and released one of the finest Australian albums of all time with 'Diorama'

My Words are my ART

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2015

I just HATE that modern weepy, self-obsessed, style of singing. This is early in that thing but even then I couldn't get myself around it. Dipping in now it seems less weepy but only be what happened later. I cant help but compare it to works that came before by artists like Queen, Yes, Peter Murphy... and this all feels so wanting.

I did however like that Die Krupps track as it felt real.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

jappe

26 Aug 2015

With at least one Australian in the thread, I'd like to share my favorite Australian group!
Listened to them a lot in the past; singer as a great voice.

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2015

Now the Hunnas were a good band and did a lot of very good work. I definitely always liked Phil's vocal delivery. I used to think he was really tall but I came close to him once and he is rather short.

Did you like The Triffids too? This is a good overview of them, I had forgotten so many of their songs from my 4ZZZ days.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

jappe

27 Aug 2015

I've never listened to Triffids,but they sound good. I put that record on my Spotify list for some more exploration today.

• Information