New Release (Draft, Feedback ears)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
weforgot...

26 Jun 2015

I want to get more connected to the community here. I am often a lurker more then a poster. 

I would love if some of you would check out some of the songs that I am currently working on and provide me a little feedback. This community always has super useful and inspiring tips. 

(First and last song in the playlist below are instrumental with everything in the middle having vocals.) 

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2015

Hi Mr Forgot

Welcome into the light. I hope you like us when we can see you.

Thanks for presenting your material. Now I may confound you as I'm not going to talk about your music!

Presentation. I can't really understand what it is you are presenting here. Is this Hip Hip, Theater, Rock Opera, Prog...? Is this about Rebs & Union Boys killing each other? Also all the tracks seem to cut off. 

Clearly there is a lot of thought and effort in here but I am really struggling to understand what you are saying, what you want me, the listener, to feel. I feel like I have no point of reference to start from. It is far from me saying you have to paint in some small box but if you are using a broader canvas then help give us those points of reference to start to understand what this is about.

I hope this makes sense and happy to help further (if you dare).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jappe

27 Jun 2015

Hello!

I listened to this tune and some of your other tunes at Soundcloud.
And one thing strikes me: Everything tune I hear there is miles away from this one - which I don't like at all (it sounds like auto generated music  with some default MIDI sounds)

I wonder if you are doing the vocals in your tunes? That voice is really really good.
The one I like most of the ones I listened to is "Om"...amazing tune.
There's so much experimentation in your tunes, and varying styles which I love.
Very very well done on the other ones!

weforgot...

27 Jun 2015

I am so grateful you two (and those that didn't speak up ;) took a few minutes to listen to my music. 

@Benedict - I didn't give as much details to this post because it seems when I give to many details or get wordy in an initial post others get overwhelmed and don't respond as readily. Read something on reddit that talked about this, saying that one to two sentence posts and overly long posts tend to get more response then medium length, so thanks for asking for me to elaborate! 

The tracks are rough drafts of stuff I have been making over the past two weeks since graduating from Western Washington (with a psychology degree and a minor in music). The running theme in my music are concepts of mindfulness and positive psychology. I make a lot of songs about being, breathing, and breaking free of self imposed patterns that stifle growth and optimal life experience (Mostly stuff I want to remind myself.)

The picture used was found when I typed in DranGlee (made up name) into google search. I thought it was fitting with all the stuff going on in Charleston.

The vocals you are listening to are 2am bedroom improv vocals that I have cut up. My process is to make an outline of the song and then sing one or two, whatever comes to my mind tracks over it. Then I cut out some stuff that I don't like and listen a bunch over the next few days and do little tweaks. The lyrics start to form (I start to hear and make connections to the improv). 

Once I have sat on the songs for a couple weeks I have an idea about what songs I really enjoy and which ones don't sound as good out of the context the were created in. Then I either go back and re-mix or leave them for another day (I want to get better at drafting) 

This is the stage I am in right now. 

@jappe - haha I am a sucker for those lame 80s sounds. The first track was using a bunch of the bitly Fairlight refill. Did you get a chance to listen to the rest of the songs in the DranGlee playlist. They might be more what you enjoy.

All the vocals are me :) but again for this playlist and a lot of the songs on the soundcloud the lyrics are still in their improv stage.

The playlist "Being with the heart" has had half the improv vocals re-written if you want an example written vs improv (Though be warned Soundcloud cuts off my transitions I made for the album.)

Your words were very kind!

@all - Again, thanks so much for checkin out my music. I look forward to checking out your music too and look forward to getting more tips from this truly knowledgable group. 

Also I would love to collaborate, so please seriously think about something you might want to mess around with. I can play a hand full of semi-obscure instruments, but to go into that would take a couple extra paragraphs and this post is getting long...or possibly just long enough ;)

• Information