Times will be rough - EBM/80's synthpop

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jappe

24 Jun 2015

EBM meets 80's synthpop.

Happy to get feedback on what works and what doesn't work for you!

RE:s used:ParsecPredator

Some Desperate Glory

24 Jun 2015

jappe wrote:EBM meets 80's synthpop.

I really liked it.  For me, I think the best way to describe it would be the tapes from a jam session by Alphaville around 1986.  Sounded beautiful and there are some really great melodies and beats in there.  I'd love to see you condense it into a pop song!
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

jappe

25 Jun 2015

Some Desperate Glory wrote:
I really liked it.  For me, I think the best way to describe it would be the tapes from a jam session by Alphaville around 1986.  Sounded beautiful and there are some really great melodies and beats in there.  I'd love to see you condense it into a pop song!
Thank's!
Alphaville is a great band; didn't find any jam sessions by them on the tube...but listened to a couple tunes from "Afternoons in Utopia". If I only had that singers voice...

Some Desperate Glory

25 Jun 2015

Some Desperate Glory wrote:
jappe wrote:
Thank's!
Alphaville is a great band; didn't find any jam sessions by them on the tube...but listened to a couple tunes from "
jappe wrote:". If I only had that singers voice...
Yes the singer has one of the most beautiful voices in pop.  I highly recommend their album "Salvation" from the late 90s.  It is their masterpiece in my opinion.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Jagwah

28 Jul 2015

Great track Jappe you really did the vocals justice! I like the vibe it suits the vox very well and it's quite calming for early in the morning, well done!

jappe

29 Jul 2015

Thank's Jagwah!

freeQlow

10 Aug 2015

I like this tune.
The keys are nice but something about the highest note makes me want to rewrite it with a dirtier synth. Pro One maybe a mono of sorts.

The pads, strings, piano are nice it's the higher lead.
with all the different patches playing, it's slightly too busy for me but awesome none the less.

Great credit. It Def has the 80s feel, part Carpenter, part Light Orchestra.

You shredded that song.

How many synth for lead and melody?

Scoobyman II

10 Aug 2015

I like how the vocals blend in. It could be a shorter pop tune.

jappe

12 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:I like this tune.
The keys are nice but something about the highest note makes me want to rewrite it with a dirtier synth. Pro One maybe a mono of sorts.

The pads, strings, piano are nice it's the higher lead.
with all the different patches playing, it's slightly too busy for me but awesome none the less.

Great credit. It Def has the 80s feel, part Carpenter, part Light Orchestra.

You shredded that song.

How many synth for lead and melody?
Thank's for the review freeQlow!
About that higher lead - you refer to the dry simple lead sound right? I had that lead on the to do list to make more interesting, but since this tune seemed to never wanting to end, I just left it and finalized it.
I've gone from far too busy mixes to busy mixes, so I'm on the right path:-)
I've listened a lot to ELO through the years, Out Of The Blue is such a good piece of music art - I do hope I am influenced by their melodic beauty.

Carpenters though, I'm not sure about the similarities here - is it some special Carpenter tune you're thinking about or was that just some association that popped up for whatever unknown reason?(Happens a lot to me:-)
Last edited by jappe on 12 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

jappe

12 Aug 2015

Scoobyman II wrote:I like how the vocals blend in. It could be a shorter pop tune.
Thank's for the review Scooby!
Keeping the tunes short has always been a struggle for me. I think I need to make them short in one big bang rather than cutting out parts afterwards - I have problems throwing away stuff lol(you should see my cellar and garage)

freeQlow

12 Aug 2015

Instead of busy, think layers.
Find the 2 best melodies (you have a lot, not a bad thing, let that creativity out brother!!!) and instead of going off (shreading all the other melodies that you create) Layer the best ones for grit and weight!

I love 80's, I love Electro, I love Synth Pop (old & new) I love Electro House (Not to be confused with EDM or Complextro) So when I hear a melody I usually like to hear a lower octave mono synth underneath. It doesn't have to be a low end, but a low/mid or mid.

That is just my taste and I don't want you to change your sound, it's great. But like you said, you're refining your writing to a less busier song arrangement. The Sound is there brother!
Less is more!

jappe

13 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote:Instead of busy, think layers.
Find the 2 best melodies (you have a lot, not a bad thing, let that creativity out brother!!!) and instead of going off (shreading all the other melodies that you create) Layer the best ones for grit and weight!

I love 80's, I love Electro, I love Synth Pop (old & new) I love Electro House (Not to be confused with EDM or Complextro) So when I hear a melody I usually like to hear a lower octave mono synth underneath. It doesn't have to be a low end, but a low/mid or mid.

That is just my taste and I don't want you to change your sound, it's great. But like you said, you're refining your writing to a less busier song arrangement. The Sound is there brother!
Less is more!
Thank's for advise, I'll keep that in mind :puf_smile:

freeQlow

13 Aug 2015

thank you for sharing

• Information