If you are into IDM, experimental or other unclassifiable kinds of music, I'd like to hear what you do!

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
electrochoc (PRX-A)

14 Jun 2015

Hi!

I'm creating this thread to hear what other people are making with Reason that stands out of the ordinary, because 1) I'm curious to hear what are doing those of you who try to push the limits of Reason itself, and 2) because I want to discover new musical ideas!

When listening to music, I tend to be bored with any music that fits too well into one specific category, and most of the artists I admire are precisely those who are somewhat unclassifiable... Do you have the feeling that your music doesn't really fit in any specific genre? If so, please post a little sample of what you're doing! :D

Don't be impress by the "IDM" label in the title of this thread: I've put it there simply because IDM has somewhat become over time the big pot in which anything that's electronic and unclassifiable is thrown. This said, I do not consider IDM as a definite style, and, even if you're not at all into electronic music (like if you're doing rock music with kitchen ustensils!), I'm curious to hear what you do as long as it's "special"! :D
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

TheMiles

14 Jun 2015

This is not meant to be compared to the famous song "Autobahn" from Kraftwerk, the name just popped up in my mind for some reason.
I am not sure about the genre, its probably some kind of dance music, but frankly said, I did not care about genre that much, I just made what was fun to me.

Pinkbox

14 Jun 2015

I tried to push the limits of Reason with this one..!

http://perso.sodaa.free.fr/rt/12_Claudi ... ifique.mp3

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2015

There is no DM in what I do (whether thinking I or E) but it is generally unabashedly electronic and I am led to believe unique.

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com

"Sea Changes" is the latest and very melodic, even orchestral. 
"Seasons" is New Age but in a classic electronic form
"Travel Destinations for the World Weary" has a dark undertow

If hoping for a bit of I before E (except after C) then try "Star-Stepper" as it was an attempt to bring in some Dub-Step whilst still being my style. Admittedly most of the D got mixed out by the time I got to album versions. You need to hear the Bonus tracks but then if expecting the EDM formula you would probably like that even less.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Some Desperate Glory

15 Jun 2015

Your stuff is certainly unique, Benedict, and that's one reason (ha!) why I like to listen to it.  You're also a great synth programmer and I love how you often compose programmatically.

My music is the epitome of "non-original" and that's fine.  I hope I'm learning to become a good craftsman.  My music is (I hope) more like making a cabinet than a painting on canvas.  You don't want your cabinet-maker to be "original" you want him or her to be competent and detail-oriented.

One thing I like about this forum is the diversity of musical styles and the diversity of approaches to composition.  I learn so much here just by reading and listening.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2015

Thanks Mr Glory

I think there is a lot to be said for craftsmanship. I think it is something sadly missing in much modern music. I love Country as it is (was) all about tradition and making the most of the formula. Metal used to be the same.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

TheFatControlleR

15 Jun 2015

Not been 'in the studio' for quite some time, but this is the last thing I kinda finished. I'm not sure I have a style, per se (herself says I do), but my shizz it is what it is... my sig says it all.

Total numpty doin' his own thing for the craic and relaxation - it's cheaper than a therapist, and more satisfying.
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
93s

dhruan

15 Jun 2015

My stuff (IMHO) is something along the lines of dark electronic/goth/neofolk/noise/experimental/whatever? You tell me... the mixes are what they are because I like sonically "dense" stuff and am working with headphones only. A lot to learn there, for sure but that is part of the fun as I am not a musician but more of an explorer of sonic vistas and emotional states.

soundcloud.com/armsgrade

am0eba

17 Jun 2015

I've been told I do "music without borders", so here are some of mine. Six very different tracks - some of them are much farther out there than others...:

Best regards,

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

odarmonix

17 Jun 2015

I'd really prefer to share stuff I created a couple months ago at most, but time and motivation have been seriously lacking to continue working on my own tunes during the last two years ...

Anyway, this old EP I put together in late 2013 should perfectly fit the criterias of this thread. Back in the PUF days, one user described the first track as being "stylistically all over the place" (IIRC this was MannequinRaces, who also is into experimental). One can tell by the title of this EP that it doesn't try at all to fit a specific category, even though it's basically an absurd mixture of existing genres on a hardcore techno beat ... and I certainly don't claim it to deserve being called "music" ! :D

Exowildebeest

21 Jun 2015

I think this fits this thread... Judging by the amusing argument in the comments to this video :D

Exowildebeest

21 Jun 2015

KnowKontrol wrote:

I guess I will throw down in here.... tho my music can get borish. 
I wouldn't call this "borish" :) Maybe a bit overcompressed, but otherwise a cool heavy sounding track! Seems reasonably "experimental" as well.

Exowildebeest

21 Jun 2015

dhruan wrote: My stuff (IMHO) is something along the lines of dark electronic/goth/neofolk/noise/experimental/whatever? You tell me... the mixes are what they are because I like sonically "dense" stuff and am working with headphones only. A lot to learn there, for sure but that is part of the fun as I am not a musician but more of an explorer of sonic vistas and emotional states.

Xmas 2014 and These Are The Times are very nice! Somewhat reminds me of Burzum's synth work.

dhruan

21 Jun 2015

dhruan wrote: My stuff (IMHO) is something along the lines of dark electronic/goth/neofolk/noise/experimental/whatever? You tell me... the mixes are what they are because I like sonically "dense" stuff and am working with headphones only. A lot to learn there, for sure but that is part of the fun as I am not a musician but more of an explorer of sonic vistas and emotional states.
Exowildebeest wrote:

Xmas 2014 and These Are The Times are very nice! Somewhat reminds me of Burzum's synth work.
Thanks! :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

• Information