Some Breezy Retro Pop

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
True

08 Jun 2015

Fun with two chords. Kind of an '80s pop vibe, a bit along the lines of "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson.

I thought the mix turned out okay, but it's hardly the best. It does bug me that the first guitar fill competes with the vocal. Additional constructive comments welcome.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2015

Hi Mr True

A nice, pleasing Pop Jazz vibe. The number of chords doesn't matter so long as the story moves nicely and it pretty-well does. I would see this as more Jim Diamond than Joe Jackson but who cares right now as that is someone else's label.

Your voice has a nice timbre but you could do some work on confidence as you seem to be strangling yourself a bit which is a shame.

Yes you do have a few elements out of balance with each other. Not too hard to solve. First question is what is the most important part of this song. The word song tells me the vocal is #1 and then the melodies, finally rhythms. This should help you know how to make mix decisions.

I would like to hear another instrument start to come in by about 1:30 to build the track and mix. My first thought is a Saxamaphone. The guitar solos are nice but there just needs to be something else in there to carry the verses.

This is a nice song and i would love to hear it with that winning formula sorted out.

:)

EDIT: the retro thing bugs me, why does a proper song have to be described as retro. Why can't it just be a nice song. Anyway...
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eusti

08 Jun 2015

Voice reminds me of David Bowie, nice! :)

Thanks for sharing.

D.

True

09 Jun 2015

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I think it does need another instrument for the second and third choruses. I'm thinking some strings in the background with contrasting note lengths. I'm also going to add a light pad or something similar to fill in the mids throughout.

• Information