ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler Reason Re Vs Miroslav ReFills

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
darkmode

06 Jun 2015

As promised, this is my test comparison between the ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler Re and Miroslav ReFills.
 I have very quickly put a short orchestral piece together using both.
On both I've just done a very quick mix. I have not not used any automation on the tracks. I have layered some of the strings and brass but again, there is no automation in regards to volume/frequency etc. I've tried to make both pieces as similar as possible using the available sounds.
Obviously, the ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler just has Brass, Strings etc where as Miroslav does have the specific instruments - French horns, Violas, Cello etc. On the Miroslav piece I have used the ensemble patches in order to recreate as close to the ProjectSAM as possible.
 I think both have their merits but I do find myself pulled towards the Miroslav but that's probably because I've been using it for years!
 One thing is for sure though, the ProjectSAM used one hell of a lot more CPU!!!

The first is ProjectSAM, the second is Miroslav.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

EpicScore

06 Jun 2015

Great job, both!
I personally prefer 100% ProjectSam, even if I have been using Miroslav for years.
I am also working on a track. As I am not happy with the round robbin or the lack of it, I have layered my short strings with Euphonic strings and spicc patterns are almost credible that way.
There were in the last few days lots of comments about this RE. Fact is, there is room for improvement and I do hope there will be an upgrade soon, still for now there is no competitor for this library.
Congrats again for the piece.

darkmode

06 Jun 2015

EpicScore wrote:Great job, both!
I personally prefer 100% ProjectSam, even if I have been using Miroslav for years.
I am also working on a track. As I am not happy with the round robbin or the lack of it, I have layered my short strings with Euphonic strings and spicc patterns are almost credible that way.
There were in the last few days lots of comments about this RE. Fact is, there is room for improvement and I do hope there will be an upgrade soon, still for now there is no competitor for this library.
Congrats again for the piece.

Thanks mate. Listening back mix wise, the woodwinds aren't as forward in the mix on the Miroslav version as I intended but as I said, I did rush this through.

With an upgrade to address the few problems mentioned above, I think this Re could be a really good addition to my arsenal.

selig
RE Developer

06 Jun 2015

Miroslav hands down, no contest, etc... So much more grandiose, and believable IMO for all instruments. Or maybe I just like the mix better?

There's still the issue of solo instruments, which only Miroslav covers, giving it the edge IMO even if I liked the sound of both libraries equally.

Plus I got the Miroslav ReFill on sale for $100…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

darkmode

06 Jun 2015

selig wrote:Miroslav hands down, no contest, etc... So much more grandiose, and believable IMO for all instruments. Or maybe I just like the mix better?

There's still the issue of solo instruments, which only Miroslav covers, giving it the edge IMO even if I liked the sound of both libraries equally.

;)
That's a great buy!

By the way, I've just realised, there is one ReFill in the Miroslav piece that wasn't Miroslav. That was your Suspended Cymbals Refill. Thanks again for making that for us!!!

joeyluck

06 Jun 2015

Miroslav is awesome. Keep in mind it is $149 at esoundz, but cheaper when you are logged in...
$134.10 last I checked for somebody.
Great price.

I say it shouldn't be an either or thing—especially for orchestral stuff. You have MANY bases to cover. The more the merrier :)

xxASMxx

06 Jun 2015

selig wrote:Miroslav hands down, no contest, etc... So much more grandiose, and believable IMO for all instruments. Or maybe I just like the mix better?

;)
I think that's it really....the two mixes sound completely different.  The ProjectSAM mix has the feel of a smaller venue than the Miroslav.  I own Miroslav as well and I'm a little biased that way but I still think the ProjectSAM sounds pretty darn good for what you get.  Maybe that was the point of this anyways.

xxASMxx

06 Jun 2015

darkmode wrote:  As promised, this is my test comparison between the ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler Re and Miroslav ReFills.
 I have very quickly put a short orchestral piece together using both.
On both I've just done a very quick mix. I have not not used any automation on the tracks. I have layered some of the strings and brass but again, there is no automation in regards to volume/frequency etc. I've tried to make both pieces as similar as possible using the available sounds.
Obviously, the ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler just has Brass, Strings etc where as Miroslav does have the specific instruments - French horns, Violas, Cello etc. On the Miroslav piece I have used the ensemble patches in order to recreate as close to the ProjectSAM as possible.
 I think both have their merits but I do find myself pulled towards the Miroslav but that's probably because I've been using it for years!
 One thing is for sure though, the ProjectSAM used one hell of a lot more CPU!!!

The first is ProjectSAM, the second is Miroslav.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Nice work BTW

darkmode

07 Jun 2015

;)
xxASMxx wrote:
I think that's it really....the two mixes sound completely different.  The ProjectSAM mix has the feel of a smaller venue than the Miroslav.  I own Miroslav as well and I'm a little biased that way but I still think the ProjectSAM sounds pretty darn good for what you get.  Maybe that was the point of this anyways.
Hi xxASMxx.
 I did try to get the mixes as close as possible and I'm sure the reason ProjectSAM sounds smaller is down to me trying to get the hang of its reverb setting as as opposed my comfort using the RV7000. I'm used to tweaking the RV7000 in the Miroslav combis however, for this mix I just used the combis 'out of the box'. I did increase the reverb size on a couple of tracks on the Miroslav using the hall/verb delay buttons on the front of the combi, but that was it.

Joeyluck.
 You are, of course, absolutely right. This isn't really a case of either or. The ProjectSAM is just another tool to add to the toolbox. I thought it would be interesting to compare the two as best as I could.
 (The main reason I did this is that I'm off work for a while after surgery and I have the time to do it! I also needed to step away from a track I was currently working on as I had lost direction on it. Time to get back to it me thinks) :crazy:   

Hopefully, the comparison was of use to some of you. You guys do so much to help out the rest of us on this forum with your time and effort. For a change, I actually had the time to give a little bit back, (I hope).

Cheers!

-008'

07 Jun 2015

Lack of solo instruments aside, wouldn't a fairer comparison be miroslav combis with all reason native fx disabled? Or perhaps Project Sam with an equal setup of the Reasons native Reverb, EQ, delay, etc...?

One is not like the other! :) I wouldn't give miroslav any extra points for using a bunch of native Reason device in the combis...which Project Sam can just as easily use.

Just my 2¢
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

darkmode

07 Jun 2015

-008' wrote:Lack of solo instruments aside, wouldn't a fairer comparison be miroslav combis with all reason native fx disabled? Or perhaps Project Sam with an equal setup of the Reasons native Reverb, EQ, delay, etc...? One is not like the other! :) I wouldn't give miroslav any extra points for using a bunch of native Reason device in the combis...which Project Sam can just as easily use. Just my 2¢
Yep, probably would have been a better comparison in retrospect. That's down to me rushing it through. :s0959: :)  

snakeofjune

07 Jun 2015

I preferred the Miroslav version.  I wasn't sure if it was the mix.  But it was a lot cleaner, had a lot more space and depth.  It wasn't as full sounding in certain senses as the SAM mix which was more upfront.  But it had much more breathing space.

And yes, cracking work as always!

darkmode

07 Jun 2015

snakeofjune wrote:I preferred the Miroslav version.  I wasn't sure if it was the mix.  But it was a lot cleaner, had a lot more space and depth.  It wasn't as full sounding in certain senses as the SAM mix which was more upfront.  But it had much more breathing space.

And yes, cracking work as always!
Cheers mate!

• Information