Lend me your ears.

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
pushedbutton

19 May 2015

Hi guys,
I need to somehow make this song radio ready.
http://phead.mu/s/iFPzEuPB
Any advise would be fantastic.
Thanks,
(PS I have less than a week)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pushedbutton

19 May 2015

http://phead.mu/s/2ZbOIneZ

Or there's this one.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

Soft Enerji

20 May 2015

I guess it depends on what you mean by "radio ready"? I think what you have here are two fairly well arranged pop songs. I'm not a huge fan of the vocal processing you've used, especially on Evergreen, I prefer a more natural approach but hey that's just me. There's some mixing issues with the vox on the chorus of Stay Another Day. Kind of feels like they're too separate.

So, back to "radio ready". I'd say that most folks nowadays, think of mastering the final mix, in which case you've a number of options, starting with Reason's own suite, or whatever REs you may have. Or you have to step outside the box......

Anyhoos, hope it goes well dude!

pushedbutton

20 May 2015

Well if you have any tips on getting a guy with cerebral palsy and impaired hearing to deliver a better performance I'm all ears.

MarkTarlton

20 May 2015

what does radio-ready mean? we have college stations and public radio where I live that play all types of stuff from exceptionally recorded and mixed, to productions that sound like they were done at home by amateur musicians/engineer, and I bet it's that way all around the world. stuff that I have recorded that I am embarrassed about even gets played on the radio so don't beat yourself up and do the best job you can..it sounds like you are already guaranteed radio air play...so have fun and enjoy being able to listen to your track without judgement :)

you might try collaborating with other musicians...I always find that helps make me be a better engineer with more ears around and other talents to add to the sauce!

pushedbutton

20 May 2015

I mean it's going to be on the radio and I want it to be ready. Bit late to start a new project so I'm hoping to do that best I can with what I've got by the weekend.

Julibee

20 May 2015

Will the listeners know the story behind the song?  Meaning, are they running a story along with the song?  I would certainly be more forgiving if I knew your singer's triumphs... 

I think Evergreen is a better choice than Stay Another Day - the beginning syncopation/echoing of the lyric lines in Stay is hard to work out what I'm hearing. 

I wonder how "bad" it really is without Neptune?  Can you layer a clean(er) version of the vocal in parallel or some other way? I'd be really curious to hear it withOUT Neptune.

Would some vocal back up help?  

The arrangement is fine, the instrumentation is pretty damn good (although one synth - a string? - feels a little fake.  It's produced well, given what you're working with.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 May 2015

I'm mixing Evergreen now and sadly the vocalist is almost 100% carried by Neptune. I haven't got to vocals yet but will see if there is any way to expose the singer a bit more.

This is such a lovely song and with a bit of "understanding" (the singer has cerebral palsy and wears a hearing aid) it really is a lovely performance.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Julibee

20 May 2015

You're such a good egg, Benedict. :)
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Soft Enerji

21 May 2015

pushedbutton wrote:Well if you have any tips on getting a guy with cerebral palsy and impaired hearing to deliver a better performance I'm all ears.
Wasn't aware of that but now that I am I can genuinely applaud the effort.

pushedbutton

21 May 2015

Thanks for your support guys, it really means a lot to me to know you're there for us. #wellingup

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 May 2015

First Mixes PMed

Benedict Roff-Marsh

pushedbutton

21 May 2015

Brilliant Job.
If it's ok with you I'll share the broadcast next week so I don't spoil the surprise before then. :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 May 2015

And that is how it should be.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information