experimental noise/ambient track

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
snakeofjune

17 May 2015

So, here's my first post here.  This is a noise/ambient track i made just manipulating one sample from the film Ghost In The Shell.

Hope you like it.  All feedback and constructive comments welcome.

soj

https://soundcloud.com/snakeofjune/face ... ll-falling

Pinkbox

17 May 2015

Awesome!

This kind of reminds me Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement at some points.
Sorry for not being more constructive..

snakeofjune

17 May 2015

I'll take awesome any day of the week!!!  Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

soj

dvdrtldg

17 May 2015

I like it a lot. My only comment would be that it could use a little thickening, whether through compression or distortion, maybe rolling off the high end a little - I find myself wishing it were more aggressive, more of a dense wall of sound. Might involve a tradeoff with some of that nice spatial dimension you've got going, but at the moment it sounds to me like it's holding back a little. 

Also, I'm not sure those conventionally "musical" elements work (i.e. the bits where you can discern actual guitar & melodies). Bury that shit or twist it out of all recognition.

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 May 2015

Hi and welcome along.

It is pretty toppy but that is part of what makes it sound so harsh and unforgiving.

I like that melodies appear out of the ghastly blast of noise. Like watching static for so long faces start to appear. I'd be happy to hear more of that almost vocal pad that hovers behind the wall in a few places. If everything is from the same sample then all the better.

Well done.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

snakeofjune

18 May 2015

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.  Really helpful comments too!

About the issue of thickness.  Funnily enough I had put in an Isis sample (a section of one of their heaviest riffs from Swarm Relocation) at the end to give it a lot more thickness.  I took it out because I liked the idea that I was just working from one sample.  But I might revisit it, because it I can see that so lower mid thickness could help.

It is quite trebly but I like that for the reasons Benedict mentions.  Although I think more thickness towards the end would be good.

That said, the aggression of the track was more of a side product of all the bit crushing that was going on.  So the intention wasn't to make it particularly aggressive.  It just came out like that!

As for the koto (guitar) melody - that line is the sample that it's made out of!!!  And all the harsh sounds/drones, etc.,  are distortions and bit crushed layers of that one sample!  But I'm sticking by having some cleaner versions of the sample - although it's still quite tape distressed - because I like the contrast of this quite pretty melody offset against a cataclysm of noise.  But then that might not be want everyone wants from the track!

Thanks for listening.

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 May 2015

It is your piece. Your vision, your art. Not anyone else's.

I was told that by someone special. This piece is unique and that makes it special as it is.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

snakeofjune

18 May 2015

Thanks - that's kind!  I like to get peoples' feedback but I figure I'm still making the decision over whether or not I'm going to take it.  I like the advice of thickening it up - towards the end at least.  And it's always interesting to find out what others hear in your music.

dvdrtldg

18 May 2015

snakeofjune wrote:
It is quite trebly but I like that for the reasons Benedict mentions.
Yeah fair enough, I'm just a midrange obsessive and usually end up taking the top off everything. I like my noise to be all grey and blankety, too much high end makes me anxious

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 May 2015

snakeofjune wrote:
It is quite trebly but I like that for the reasons Benedict mentions.
dvdrtldg wrote:
Yeah fair enough, I'm just a midrange obsessive and usually end up taking the top off everything. I like my noise to be all grey and blankety, too much high end makes me anxious
And that is exactly part of why this is interesting as the "blast of noise" should never be comforting. It should put you on edge. The melodies etc help balance that and keep you on the knife edge.

Sadly most modern music doesn't have the courage to do this in any way at all.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

FGL

19 May 2015

Very nice.

• Information