Underneath India

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jfrichards

10 May 2015

Having fun after figuring out how to reproduce my TC Electronic Hall reverb with the RV7000, using it on the Les Paul, Moog bass, and grand piano.

http://phead.mu/s/HTUl84yC

Edit:  Here's the same thing with work done on the tabla rhythm track per Mark in post 6:

http://phead.mu/s/9NPwvION

mbfrancis

11 May 2015

This really wonderful.  Absolutely love your playing.  Very cool eclectic choice of instrumentation as well.  Is that a real piano?
--martin
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

jfrichards

11 May 2015

Thanks Martin.  It's the stock B GrandPiano 1.0 sampled piano in the NN-XT with Trident EQ with saturation, 4:1 compression, and TC Electronic style reverb:   

Mastering:

(I play on the weighted Akai MPK88, so it behaves in a realistic way, unlike a synth keyboard.)
Attachments
Mastering_the_B_Grand.png
Mastering_the_B_Grand.png (489.55 KiB) Viewed 751 times

mbfrancis

11 May 2015

Wait...this mastering settings are on the 2-bus or just the piano?  Assume it's just piano, right?  Those are some crazy aggressive EQ curves.  On that second one where you're boosting everything except the high band, what does that do for you...why not just cut highs? 

OT: I know you love the Trident, but man, I use a couple of them and my whole system shuts down.  Actually my ears suck so after I finish a mix I usually throw one on and give the whole thing some more high end that I forgot to mix, ha.  Great for that.   :)

Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

jfrichards

11 May 2015

The mastering settings are on the piano, Les Paul, and Moog bass.  It's an attempt to make it all less bright, with interesting EQ hills, done by ear for the mix as a whole (except the tablas, which were bypassed around the master effects into the Audio I/O (unorthodox, but at that point I was committed to the sound for the guitar/piano/bass)).  The realism for the piano, guitar, and bass seems to come from getting rid of the stringiness, which I tend to make too pronounced usually.  It makes the instruments sound a bit older, worn in, and in the same room.  I dropped down the 15K and the 12K Low Pass filters, which is rare for me, and bumped up the 2K and 3K too, also rare.  They were all tweaks on the go that turned out OK.

Edit:  Oh yeah, I forgot, I didn't use any amp sim for the Les Paul, just direct in and going through the mastering setup, so that's probably why it ended up being so center-frequency-heavy, because that's what a guitar amp does.  And it was fortuitous that it did such nice things to the piano and Moog bass.  Note to self: keep experimenting.

Soft Enerji

12 May 2015

Hey John

Very cool work..............all sounds great..........except......more tabla :) :P

I know you said you were just having fun but bring the tabla into the mix more and this'd be way cool!

Cheers

Mark

jfrichards

12 May 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:...Very cool work..............all sounds great..........except......more tabla...
Thanks Mark, you read my mind.  I started working on the tabla, adding a synchronous, eq, etc, but I left it due to pressing yard work (depressing yard work?), which ended up giving me a little shoulder injury.

jfrichards

12 May 2015

mbfrancis wrote:...Those are some crazy aggressive EQ curves...
Hey Martin, thought you might like to see the EQ curve made by the master setup.  When I run my EQ test waveform through it, here's what I get:
It's very much like a guitar amp.

I attached the test waveform.  It's cool for a quick look at what your effects are doing.
Attachments
spectrum_tester_wav.aif.zip
(13.43 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

jfrichards

12 May 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:Hey John....more tabla ...
Here's some more Mark:

jappe

05 Jun 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:Hey John....more tabla ...
jfrichards wrote:
Here's some more Mark:
Beautiful.

FGL

08 Jun 2015

I hear there is something with which I have to me also always having trouble. When working on a piece it sounds sometimes everything correctly and then if I hear it later, I am wondering why I not noticed it before. I hear some Notes that do not sit on the point. May be because of the latency when recording.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2015

Hi Mr Richards

A nice piece with a nice feel overall. I enjoyed it.

@ FGL this is common to all of us. Write a letter that on every read as we are writing it is perfect. Come back later and it reads poorly with spellos everywhere. This is because initially we overlay what is there with what we want to see. The brain works on patterns so things only need to be close to the pattern for us to adjust the details. Of course when the pattern is so strong in your head as when writing your "quantisation" effect is stronger. Popping something into a different environment can help your brain see things as they are instead of how you want them to be. That can be as simple as Save As .PDF and read that at 117% or wait till tomorrow.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information