Short R&B loop, feedback wanted

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mrj1nx

06 May 2015

Hello,

This is a short R&B loop I made last night. I'm working on trying to improve my sound/production skills, any feedback and advice on mixing/eq/etc are warmly welcome.

FGL

06 May 2015

Sounds good to me. Way too short to say much. But if there is there something special you struggle with name it then I can listen closer.

mrj1nx

06 May 2015

Well usually my music sounds like crap as soon as it's played in regular speakers, sounds fine in headphones. Often the base register is overpowered and the whole sound tends to be muddy. I never get it to sound like "real" music if you get what I'm saying.

Ashpool

06 May 2015

That's a nice loop - I like it ;)

I think you can boost some low frequencies (the bass is a bit "lost").
If it sounds fine in your headphones but like crap in your speakers, tht could be related to your headphones.
Do you know the frequency response of your headphones? Some HP are good for mixing and some are not, you know?

I've had the same problems a while ago and bought new headphones. It helped.

mrj1nx

07 May 2015

I use AKG K240 Studio, haven't dug into the whole frequency response thing, but maybe it's time for that? Got new ones about a year ago, before that I had some other very similar AKG. After a short reading sounds like they may have a "slightly heavy bass reproduction" to quote someone on the internets. Maybe I have a natural bias to add a lot of base as well. In this loop I did use a 4Dyne preset called something like "eliminate low rumble", may be why the bass is a bit lost.

FGL

07 May 2015

Good Headphones are good and better Headphones are better. But in my opinion there is no fix for this with buying some Headphones. All Headphones you will use will have also another sound then Monitors. And the most listeners will hear your sound with some sound changing Hifi Setup you can‘t control. The only fix is to learn your Setup well. But I also struggle with this, and if I listen to the Stuff from others I hear problems everywhere, also in professional Mixes. At the end it is also a matter of taste and you cant really discuss this. What you can do is listen and change until you like it. And listen on as many Setups you can get. Walk around and hear it from another Room and hear in the car and on the Hifi. If you have some target soundwise then mix while comparing to this target, this should also help a lot.

• Information