Holly Stars (synthpop) - need production help / advice

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mbfrancis

05 May 2015

Hey here's a nice little synthpop song that I don't know where to go with.  I know I need to re-sing it, but I'm more stuck on arrangement/production.

I'd love for this to be huge and boppy and retro but modern, maybe RAC meets Hot Chip?   It's based around a Matrix pattern I did from the "randomize pattern" feature, tuned the notes, and loaded up a bunch of Thors playing the same thing.  I've deliberately kept the beats simple so I could finish the track...but now I don't know where to go!  Some of you have formidable production skills – I’d really appreciate any input about where to go next.  (Or if anyone wants to remix this?
I’d love your thoughts –the lyrics are on the SC page if you’re interested
https://soundcloud.com/martinbfrancis/holly-stars-wip
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 May 2015

The great thing with SynthPop (not that we called it that at the time) was that there weren't rigid rules so you could do anything that your A&R man let you get away with. Interesting was more important.

It I were working on this, I'd be interested by the lyric and vocal which are good. I'd then decide whether to work it up with majestic melodies, something like a Thompson Twins song or pare it right back more like Marianne Faithful's "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan". Either way, I'd start by controlling back the random thing as it is working against you by jumbling up the senses.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

JNeffLind

05 May 2015

Hey man. This sounds great to me. Vocals sound great too. Great lyrics as well, with the first verse particularly standing out in that regard. This reminds me a bit of "video killed the radio star" which is a song I dig for sure. As for where you should take this... I'd take it to a record label. Great stuff man. I'm hearing some quality stuff here today.

Some Desperate Glory

05 May 2015

Where to go next?  Nowhere.  You're done.  The random arp works great, and even the lo-fi, simple drum track works great for this song.

This song is fantastic.  You don't need to sing it again: the rough, emotional, honest vibe I get from hearing it is far better than any polished auto-tuned performance.  You're finished.  Ship it.

I don't really hear Hot Chip, to me you reminded me of the raw emotion you get from the Postal Service.  With the guitar it veers a bit into electroclash/post-grunge territory like the Sounds or Metric.  Really loved the song, and you know I love my synthpop.  Great work.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 May 2015

Ok, me again

I have had another listen. This time the random stuff doesn't concern me anymore. Seeing you want a more modern sound then probably best to take Mr Glory's advice and leave it exactly as it is as it is well balanced on every front. I find the guitar bit a somewhat strange but as electroclash that is probably the idea. If I kept it I would add something like a synth string over it to save it from seeming like a whole other song. But then that probably breaks the "clash" bit.

Either way, you are showing some great songs right now.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

JoshuaPhilgarlic

05 May 2015

Yay, I hear a lot of Vince Clarke here, and that's not too bad I think ;) .

Anyway. I like the different parts of the song (verse, chorus, bridge), but there's something missing to glue them together. Each one is cool, but for me they sound like they are produced separately and merged later?!?
mbfrancis wrote:(Or if anyone wants to remix this?
I'm no producer or remixer, but I grew up in the 80s with that kind of sound, so I'd like to mangle it a bit ;) . Please PM me if you like and tell me about the REs you used so we can talk about compatibility!

mbfrancis

06 May 2015

Woah, thanks guys for all the great feedback - much appreciated.  So glad you like the track.

@Benedict - My initial thinking was like yours, that the Matrix pattern gets in the way...I still think that, but I think it can be achieved by splitting out the individual synths into different tracks...e.g., so the bass (I restricted the notes the patch accepted in the combi so it was only the low ones) could be soloed.  It can be cleaned up.

@Carl - wow, thanks, your comments mean a lot.  I will sit with it a bit - I still think it could be bigger, more 2015....not really happy with the drums.  

@JoshuaPhilgarlic - the only RE in this is a Little LFO modulating something, so easy to replace.  It's all Thors.  There are a few samples, might be easier to just give you audio of some bits.  I should say that I don't want this to sound like the 80s, but the modern 80s influenced stuff (e.g., Tom Cruise, Chvrches, maybe Purity Ring).  So I'm trying to figure out how to get there from here.  Hope this makes sense...

Thanks again, all! 
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

FGL

06 May 2015

Not easy, this Sounds very good and with every listening it is more difficult to think to change something so I see the Problem in this Stage.

What I thing, and please take everything with a grain of Salt. So here are some Ideas, what I would think about:

1. The opener with the Synthline is not as catchy like the Song. I would try something different, like starting with the drums or some sample (Television, Pictures, Starlet Talking)

2. Some answering Choir (Like , and we drove, and we drove, or "Beginn again") in the Backround.

3. At 2:30 "holly dont say know" I think this cries for a third repeating – with some longer drum or perhaps music Stop.

4: 1:58 The Synth toms, you have mixed them into the Backround. If ever I do something like this, I dont have the guts to throw something away, cause I thought before this was a very nice Idea. This, or more prominent, resolute.

But it is also good as it is. And it was really helpful to have the lyrics.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

06 May 2015

mbfrancis wrote:@JoshuaPhilgarlic - the only RE in this is a Little LFO modulating something, so easy to replace.  It's all Thors.  There are a few samples, might be easier to just give you audio of some bits.  I should say that I don't want this to sound like the 80s, but the modern 80s influenced stuff (e.g., Tom Cruise, Chvrches, maybe Purity Ring).  So I'm trying to figure out how to get there from here.  Hope this makes sense...
I've no idea about the artists you mentioned, but we got Youtube ;) . Little LFO is already in my rack, so if you like...

mbfrancis

07 May 2015

Cool, I am traveling the next few days for work but can get back to you.

raymondh

07 May 2015

Great job. I agree that it is done too! Great song and very cool instrumentation.

If you were looking to experiment more though (and I don't think you need to!), here's a couple of suggestions;
- Intro: Rather than fade in, open with a bang, maybe the main pattern riff, with no other layers, for a couple of bars. If you don't want to assault the listener with so much immediately, try just the smallest amount of a soft, quiet pad for 1/2 or 1 bar before the riff kicks in.
- Arrangement: There's a lot of ideas in here and quite a few styles through the arrangement. You could try less variation, but it would risk making the track less interesting than it is. It's really all about the 'vision' that you want for the arrangement, does it take the listener on the journey you want? (I enjoyed the journey, by the way).

A few comments on the soundcloud. Nice job!

cheers
Raymond

pLansford

08 May 2015

Some Desperate Glory wrote:Where to go next?  Nowhere.  You're done.
I agree...solid!   :)

mbfrancis

09 May 2015

raymondh wrote: - Intro: Rather than fade in, open with a bang, maybe the main pattern riff, with no other layers, for a couple of bars. If you don't want to assault the listener with so much immediately, try just the smallest amount of a soft, quiet pad for 1/2 or 1 bar before the riff kicks in.
- Arrangement: There's a lot of ideas in here and quite a few styles through the arrangement. You could try less variation, but it would risk making the track less interesting than it is. It's really all about the 'vision' that you want for the arrangement, does it take the listener on the journey you want? (I enjoyed the journey, by the way).
Sorry for silence, I was traveling.  @Raymond, thanks these are great suggestions...maybe I'll take another crack at this first. 

ebop

10 May 2015

Nice mbfrancis, you really know how to write catchy choons. This is really good (again). I like the matrix synth line a lot!

Only thing I'd do is whack an 'in your face' 4 to the floor open hi-hat for some of the sections, chorus? Like in Two Door Cinema Clubs track. Just bring it in and out along the track to boost the energy even more for some bits. Dunno, that's probably poor advice and I've missed the point. Mate, I'm really liking your tracks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxu02vp_Vm0

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 May 2015

Well done, ,  I'm not that big into lyrical music but I really liked this, your voice fitted in very well and I dig the words..
Like others why fix which is not broken, if you had to change anything................... add some female background singers where you double up..

Massive thumbs up... :s0221:

mbfrancis

10 May 2015

Thanks for the props!

@ebop - that's a great idea, definitely think the drums need some love.

@Carly - I already recorded some female singers on the aaaah angel parts on v2, but the chorus would be cool, too!

--martin

eusti

10 May 2015

Neat! I enjoyed that! Agree on the drums...

D.

Soft Enerji

13 May 2015

Not much I can add to the above but I love it! Yup, maybe the drums could do with some clarity but hey on a first listen I'm hooked! Well done man!

• Information