Re-mix

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
inmatus

29 Apr 2015

Like to do remixes of our songs as well as others..
Here is our "Burning Angel" original:

Quite rocky..

..and then the remix we released on the coming single:

Kept all vocals and guitars but either removed some guitars or mixed down. Different bass and drums + pads. Replaced some of the guitar "solo" with strings in the middle of the song and added some bars for drama
Quite funny that we could use same vocals/guitars on quite different styles..

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2015

Quite unexpectedly for me I much prefer the second mix. The voice doesn't sit will in the Rock mix and sounds off (partly in a Marianne Faithful way and partly like a poor vocal) but in the second mix the vocal sounds unique & special. The whole song suddenly seems to make a lot more sense. I'm wondering if there is any reason you are aware of; was the song written with the idea of being more Rock or more open?

Normally I prefer a song is kept simpler and direct but the new mix is something pretty amazing. Can you keep doing this sort of thing in a sustainable way?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

inmatus

29 Apr 2015

It was intended for the first mix. Actually I was supposed to sing it but we tried with Birgitta to make it "break" and sweeten the rather hard rock style.
After the release I just sat and played around with the song. Put a rex drum loop on it and some pads and liked it -and went from there

Not sure what you mean "keep on doing this sort of thing"? Do you mean "change the appearance of a song" in a good way or that kind of music as the Heartbreak remix?

If you mean doing music that sounds like the Heartbreak remix, the answer is "probably not" since the music we make is rather.. different from time to time. Sometimes rather much rock, sometimes more electronic

I have some examples of other remixes.

This one I did for a friend in Germany that we cooperate with now and then. They do ..Krautrock electronic music (or whatever it is called):
https://bbcom.bandcamp.com/track/meine-freizeit
(I dont think the song is on Soundcloud)

I was working with the remix one evening -being drunk- and got the idea of doing an Indie rock remix of it. Did some dry drums, bass and laid some guitars on it without any clue what cords it was. Checked the cords and did some piano.. Had to edit it (being drunk)
It has sort of same melancholy as the Heartbreak remix. Kept the "vocals" and tuned it with Neptune so it became a bit more melodic. I like the result of that too

It's a war single also have two flavors of same song but that is more a version than just a remix since I made new vocals.. More sort of "balls to the walls" hard rock ballad stuff where guitar stuff is done by the piano
Original:

Version:

Same melancholy I guess and a great song for every fan of broken English ;)
Like the end of it where sounds from riots, car alarms and a Stuka is mixed with hammering on the Piano

• Information