gullum - Me behind the mask

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
gullum

23 Apr 2015

100% reason
Recorded Guitar and Bass live and using bout Softube and Kuassa amps in this.

this is a submission to a indaba opportunity so if you like it I would appreciate if you could leave a vote

https://www.indabamusic.com/opportuniti ... 52404cc67c

T
hanks in advance 

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2015

Hi Gullum

I voted for you - nice piece.

I then saw there was a Spring competition and popped in a track of my own that just so happens to be about Spring.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eusti

23 Apr 2015

Nice one, Gullum!

D.

gullum

24 Apr 2015

Thanks eusti & Benedict I listened to your submission and voted for it too that could also have been submitted to the meditation comp nice one but that one is closed 

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2015

Thanks Gullum

That place is pretty confusing. Pretty cut-throat too 

Benedict Roff-Marsh

submonsterz

24 Apr 2015

hmm unless I was listening to the wrong thing there id say there`s some things go a little out of tune through that track you might want to sort out.
I am surprised no one mentioned this to you all ready :frown: .

gullum

24 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:hmm unless I was listening to the wrong thing there id say there`s some things go a little out of tune through that track you might want to sort out.
I am surprised no one mentioned this to you all ready :frown: .
Thanks but would help if you could point some of the things that go out of tune

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2015

Can't say I notice anything either, but then I am pretty flexible on interesting harmonies so long as they work.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

gullum

24 Apr 2015

I'm thinking that he's hearing the big clean guitar strokes as out of tune. they are not clean major minor chords. Emadd4  A6/9 D6 while the rest of instruments only play Em A D so the added notes may confuse him

submonsterz

24 Apr 2015

gullum wrote:I'm thinking that he's hearing the big clean guitar strokes as out of tune. they are not clean major minor chords. Emadd4  A6/9 D6 while the rest of instruments only play Em A D so the added notes may confuse him
not at home or on comp at moe to listen back through to say where but. Even though you may think it is melodic etc on the notes you use it does not mean that the tones sound melodic it clashes to me and that means if the notes are right the tones are clashing making it sound out of tune . And that's 3xactly how my ears are hearing it as out of tune rather than melodic . My friend who was hear also picked up on exactly the same thing too . But he's not a musician but an avid music fan and listener . So maybe we are both wrong .

And it was constructive friendly observation too no malice meant .

Soft Enerji

24 Apr 2015

Tried listening last night but it kept buffering. Played fine this morning so not sure what was going on last night...........

Anyhoos I had a couple of listens through and really enjoyed it. The piano melody is quite delightful. You got my vote. :)

I signed up for an indaba account too so will have to figure out what goes on in there...........

Cheers

Mark

gullum

24 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote: not at home or on comp at moe to listen back through to say where but. Even though you may think it is melodic etc on the notes you use it does not mean that the tones sound melodic it clashes to me and that means if the notes are right the tones are clashing making it sound out of tune . And that's 3xactly how my ears are hearing it as out of tune rather than melodic . My friend who was hear also picked up on exactly the same thing too . But he's not a musician but an avid music fan and listener . So maybe we are both wrong . And it was constructive friendly observation too no malice meant .
I fully respect what you are saying although I do not hear what your are hearing, and as it seams not many other have heard the out of tune you have.
Soft Enerji wrote:Tried listening last night but it kept buffering. Played fine this morning so not sure what was going on last night...........

Anyhoos I had a couple of listens through and really enjoyed it. The piano melody is quite delightful. You got my vote.  :)

I signed up for an indaba account too so will have to figure out what goes on in there...........

Cheers

Mark
There are regular competitions bout for original songs and remix once and after been slow on music making this site have really motivated me to make more music 

JNeffLind

26 Apr 2015

Just wanted to chime in here. I think I hear what Submonsterz is referring to in that you have some adventurous and slightly dissonant harmonies but I think they work okay just as long as you are aware of them and it's what you're going for. For example Michael Bolton would never sing over this, but Tom Waits certainly would.  Not meaning to suggest Submonsterz wants everything to sound like easy listening pop, just trying to juxtapose VERY conventional vs. VERY unconventional with those examples. Old barbershop quartets used to work lots of dissonance as well as some more jazz inspired pop or jam bands. 

One thing to perhaps consider: When you stack harmonies like this it can sometimes help to spread out your voicings (or risk the dreaded tri-tone...) or maybe arpeggiate some of them. Not saying it's necessary here, just something to possibly consider on future tracks. Gave you a vote. Good work.

By the way, Michael Bolton's music/lyric choices are questionable at best but the dude can SING! And Tom Waits... let's just say I preferred the early years.

submonsterz

26 Apr 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Just wanted to chime in here. I think I hear what Submonsterz is referring to in that you have some adventurous and slightly dissonant harmonies but I think they work okay just as long as you are aware of them and it's what you're going for. For example Michael Bolton would never sing over this, but Tom Waits certainly would.  Not meaning to suggest Submonsterz wants everything to sound like easy listening pop, just trying to juxtapose VERY conventional vs. VERY unconventional with those examples. Old barbershop quartets used to work lots of dissonance as well as some more jazz inspired pop or jam bands. 

One thing to perhaps consider: When you stack harmonies like this it can sometimes help to spread out your voicings (or risk the dreaded tri-tone...) or maybe arpeggiate some of them. Not saying it's necessary here, just something to possibly consider on future tracks. Gave you a vote. Good work.

By the way, Michael Bolton's music/lyric choices are questionable at best but the dude can SING! And Tom Waits... let's just say I preferred the early years.
yeah I wasn't trying to be mean or not saying the track is bad or anything.
just to me some tones clash on a couple of the chords to me to which in turn in this track sound out of tune.
this might work in jazz etc etc but im not hearing it work here.
the production is lovely and the track is good except the bits I hear to be not so melodic to my ears.

gullum

26 Apr 2015

thanks both of you I will in future songs watch out for things like these and spread them, but what might be a problem is I don't hear it as out of tune or dis harmonic :D

submonsterz

26 Apr 2015

gullum wrote:thanks both of you I will in future songs watch out for things like these and spread them, but what might be a problem is I don't hear it as out of tune or dis harmonic :D
If you are happy with it then that's all that matters m8 ;) .
You make music for you at the end of the day its a like it or lump it thing to any one else :) .

JNeffLind

27 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote: If you are happy with it then that's all that matters m8 ;) .
You make music for you at the end of the day its a like it or lump it thing to any one else :) .
I agree. I always give my critiques as an attempt to share another viewpoint and give the artist chance to learn, not a statement of fact that carries an obligation to change. 

I've learned a ton from criticisms I don't agree with and usually they make me better on the next go round.

• Information