Jean Michel Jarre - The Last Rumba (live cover)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental

JoshuaPhilgarlic

10 Apr 2015

Sorry, I hate that song. I think it's the worst thing JMJ ever made. But the X-705 looks nice ;) !

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Apr 2015

It's a very peculiar track, for sure, and it certainly didn't fit on the Magnetic Fields album. It has a cheesy charm, though. But worse than Tout et Bleu or Oxygene 11, 12 or 13...?! Nah! ;)

JoshuaPhilgarlic

10 Apr 2015

No need to discuss JMJ's worst songs ;) . Tell us more about X-705 instead :D !!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2015

2nd that... we want to know more about the X-705

Lunesis

12 Apr 2015

I found myself mesmerized by your deft fingerings. 

Soft Enerji

14 Apr 2015

Lunesis wrote:I found myself mesmerized by your deft fingerings. 
+1 :)

Tincture

14 Apr 2015

Loved that! :D As for the tune, I've always thought the part at ~2.25 saves it ;)

mbfrancis

14 Apr 2015

Oh jeez do I have to buy another of your organs now?  I already have the Compact and the B3T, stop releasing reasonably priced, cool little awesome sounding REs.   :)
Attachments
strings_df.png
strings_df.png (64.44 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Apr 2015

Well, you don't have to buy anything you don't actually need, although of course, I'd very much like you to buy! ;) Frankly, I'm still a little unsure about whether to actually release this or not.

Arguably the last of the great transistor organs. Unlike the Compact and Conti, the organ footages are like the standard Hammond drawbars.

The fascinating thing about the flagship X-705 was that Elka included both synthesizer presets - I won't deny they are cheesy, like the Hawaiian guitar Jarre used in Last Rumba, but they do have a certain charm - and it contains an entire bloody Rhapsody 610, which was Elka's top of the line string ensemble with "piano" and clavichord from the mid-70s. The 610's string ensemble are perhaps the nicest outside of the original 310U and Solina. It's smoother and brighter than the classic 310U/Solina strings, less buzzy, so it's a quite different feel. The "piano" is ... uh... . The clavichord is nice. I know Tangerine Dream used the 610 extensively.

What's neat is adding a bit of clavi for some "sparkle" on top of the organ flutes, or some bright attack to the string ensemble, or laying an organ under the strings. The bass section is pretty deep too, and I've set this up as a two octave bass, since the others are just 12 notes.

Here's how it currently looks. Might be one or two further tweaks.

Attachments
X705.png
X705.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5073 times

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Apr 2015

Combo Counters of the Fourth Kind!

https://youtu.be/JIWl9FUOBpU

eusti

14 Apr 2015

JP, your organ REs are great! Love them! Don't really use organs in my music, but damn, I'm tempted never the less! ;)

D.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

14 Apr 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Frankly, I'm still a little unsure about whether to actually release this or not.
You're joking, right :shock: ?!? Do it, man, do it :s0230: !!! The RE looks cool and sounds awesome! The only thing I'm wondering is why all those knobs on the rear panel (especially those on the wooden plate) aren't located on the front side??

Despondo
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Frankly, I'm still a little unsure about whether to actually release this or not.
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: You're joking, right :shock: ?!? Do it, man, do it :s0230: !!! The RE looks cool and sounds awesome! The only thing I'm wondering is why all those knobs on the rear panel (especially those on the wooden plate) aren't located on the front side??
I second this opinion!

joeyluck

14 Apr 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:

This looks great!

My eyes are a bit confused by the tabs though... Maybe because they just need to have shorter shadow for the ones engaged?

eusti

15 Apr 2015

joeyluck wrote:
My eyes are a bit confused by the tabs though... Maybe because they just need to have shorter shadow for the ones engaged?
I think they are shorter on the ones engaged already.

D.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

15 Apr 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: The only thing I'm wondering is why all those knobs on the rear panel (especially those on the wooden plate) aren't located on the front side??
It was hacked by a previous owner so he could tweak the envelope voltages, there was no room on the front. :P

Heh. That is kind of true...! I added them quite recently during testing (the rest was finished back in the October), and didn't want to over-clutter up the front with knobs that will be little used, and were never on the device in the first place (sticking rigidly to the realism while completely abandoning it arbitrarily elsewhere  :thumbup: ). Ultimately it's just an extra page of functions, like many a VST synth, or some of the custom display REs. They are just one TAB away, so in fact far less hidden than endless pages of custom displays.
Still, it is a shame and a curiosity that back panel knobs cannot be automated. Someone should complain to PH. :t0152:

joeyluck wrote: 

You're right, in the sense that they don't look quite kosher: it's a result of the need to compromise for acceptance and usability.

The shadows are automatic based on the lighting provided by the rendering engine. The difficulty was that I had to exaggerate the tab angles to make certain things obvious when it was engaged or disengaged. Too flat in the up position and you wouldn't be able to read the tab text clearly (and thus it would be certainly be rejected (and I suspect it's borderline already)), and not down enough in the down position it would be hard for the user to quickly see which was enabled. With that in mind, I will consider having the down position not quite as exaggerated and see what the beta testers think.

Tincture

15 Apr 2015

Just watched Combo Counters of the Fourth Kind :shock: Great stuff JP! The solo at the end was brilliant :D

It made me want this organ and the Bucket Brigade bundle ;)

SebAudio

17 Apr 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:You're right, in the sense that they don't look quite kosher: it's a result of the need to compromise for acceptance and usability.

The shadows are automatic based on the lighting provided by the rendering engine. The difficulty was that I had to exaggerate the tab angles to make certain things obvious when it was engaged or disengaged. Too flat in the up position and you wouldn't be able to read the tab text clearly (and thus it would be certainly be rejected (and I suspect it's borderline already)), and not down enough in the down position it would be hard for the user to quickly see which was enabled. With that in mind, I will consider having the down position not quite as exaggerated and see what the beta testers think.
Why not using buttons ? Realism is cool but Tabs in a rack not so and lead to less readable texts so I'd prefer buttons (same length and colors).

forensickbeats

18 Apr 2015

Good cover, though magn fields 2 or 4 would have been a better pick...

SebAudio

19 Apr 2015

forensickbeats wrote:Good cover, though magn fields 2 or 4 would have been a better pick...
Yes but certainly there's not a lot of X705 used in those tracks ?

forensickbeats

19 Apr 2015

Yes but certainly there's not a lot of X705 used in those tracks ?
I have no idea, I`m no expert.

joeyluck

21 Apr 2015

I think what also may help is some shading at the top of the tabs that are down, such as this:

So, might look something like this:

I know this isn't characteristic of the tabs used, but I find that it does help... And then perhaps the tabs in the up position could be less 'up.'

Of course, this is all assuming that I am looking at it correctly now :) In any case, it's not a huge issue. If I can tell a difference between the two settings, that's good :) I'm sure it makes more sense when hands-on.

Originally, I was seeing it as though the shorter tabs were down and the longer tabs were up (which is why the shadows were confusing to me). Then I saw images such as this (as well as the GUI above) that made me realize the possible perspective:

And after editing the image above, I see now that the shorter tabs have a lighter tint at the top. So am I looking at it correctly now or was I looking at it correctly before? I suppose it all depends on what the assumed angle is...
Attachments
X705-tabs.png
X705-tabs.png (167.04 KiB) Viewed 2834 times

tiker01

22 Apr 2015

I like the shading. If you are concenrned about the text size you can add them above or below the "buttons" too. 
joeyluck wrote:I think what also may help is some shading ... So, might look something like this:

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

arqui

22 Apr 2015

Amazing!
a Bundle comes with four organs? or is there more? :)

Regards
Alfredo
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

• Information