Last Alternative REMIXed

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2015

Hi

Last Alternative was showing his track "I Love Everyone Except Me"*. I didn't love his production and heard it a very different way in my head. Mr Alternative was kind enough to send me over the Reason file and I made a completely new mix which really brings out the lyric and vocal.

This is still completely LA's song and performance but I turned off all the overdrives and let the sounds breathe. I also almost completely dropped drums (they whisper in the background at the end) as the originals are really set to "destroy". Oddly for me I didn't want this to sound remotely electronic. To me it is the humanity that sells this one.

Let us both know what you think of the transformation and of course which take on the song you prefer?

:)

*EDIT - Last Alternative and I decided it was best to remove all possible tracks considered for the upcoming album Neon Flowers as we work over what he has. Whilst the conversation stays active this file will remain.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Last Alternative

05 Apr 2015

I prefer yours. Please mix my album. I beg you. I'll pay you! It's only 10 or 11 songs and will be mastered at High Fidelity Mastering here in Albuquerque. We can talk privately about money if you're interested.
And I would obviously give you credit on the insert. And a free hard copy CD. I'm thinking I'm just not good enough for the commercial mixing caliber I'm going for.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

eusti

05 Apr 2015

Yes! This is great! I like this a lot better now!

The only thing that still bothers me is the chorus...
To me it's 4 or 8 times the same sentence sung the same way. I get the idea of trying to show a monotony of those thoughts and how one can be trapped by them... But I think that needs to be broken somehow... So, if this vocal part needs to stay that way, then you could for instance add another string line adding some flourishes over the second half of that part after the first chorus has passed...

But in any case! Huge improvement!

D.

Last Alternative

05 Apr 2015

Yeah it is a little repetitive but I was going for a sort of almost bland dreamscape daze. I like how Benedict kinda saved the strings for the 2nd and 3rd chorus and how on the break the strings increase volume & emotion towards the end. I don't think I'll be changing anything lyrically or vocal line-wise. I thought about redoing vocals but it's fine for what it is. There will be no bad mistakes on the album.
Thanx for your support, Dirk. Always appreciated. By the way, where's your music? I wanna hear what you've been up to :)
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

eusti

05 Apr 2015

Last Alternative wrote:Yeah it is a little repetitive but I wan going for a sort of almost bland dreamscape daze. I like how Benedict kinda saved the strings for the 2nd and 3rd chorus and how on the break the strings increase volume & emotion towards the end. I don't think I'll be changing anything lyrically or vocal line-wise. I thought about redoing vocals but it's fine for what it is. There will be no bad mistakes on the album.
Thanx for your support, Dirk. Always appreciated. By the way, where's your music? I wanna hear what you've been up to :)
Thanks, glad you didn't take offense! ;)

Not much I've been up to music wise these days... Other than a weird entry to the odd Moon Echo Audio Hazewave thingie...

D.

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2015

Hi Eusti

That is a good idea and if LA wants to explore it I will help.

BUT I am also happy that the track stands nicely on its own. Once hearing just the vocal it struck me as being far more like the hypnotic thing Michael Stipe of REM does and to break that would be a shame.

Oh and Mr Alternative, I have always wanted to mix this record.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

eusti

05 Apr 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi Eusti

That is a good idea and if LA wants to explore it I will help.

BUT I am also happy that the track stands nicely on its own. Once hearing just the vocal it struck me as being far more like the hypnotic thing Michael Stipe of REM does and to break that would be a shame.

Oh and Mr Alternative, I have always wanted to mix this record.

Glad to hear all of the above!

D.

Puckboy2000

05 Apr 2015

Great remix
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

FATCheese

06 Apr 2015

Benedict really captured the feeling of the song!
I like this version better than the "original".

Great work both of you! :s0221:
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

Emian

06 Apr 2015

wow, that mix really sounds great Benedict ^^ it breathes very nicely indeed, & alltough i'm quite into heavy drums, in this track i think it's good you lowered them down a lot !

nice work, really curious how that album of LA will sound mixed by you, i'm convinced you guys make a winning combo :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Kov

06 Apr 2015

A very musical result. Congrats!

am0eba

06 Apr 2015

Interesting!

I love both versions. I think the original has more of a Nine Inch Nails feel, while Benedict's mix definitely has more of a Michael Stipe / REM feel. Both have their worthwhile elements.

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2015

Emian wrote:wow, that mix really sounds great Benedict ^^ it breathes very nicely indeed, & alltough i'm quite into heavy drums, in this track i think it's good you lowered them down a lot !

nice work, really curious how that album of LA will sound mixed by you, i'm convinced you guys make a winning combo :)
Personal preferences aside, I'm not sure I've heard the correct original with the drums set to "destroy" or the "heavy drums". The version linked in this thread as a soft kick that comes in and out in places, but it's mostly a stripped down song with guitar, vocals, and FX (and the kick). Yes, there is one or two places where I hear a second drum, but all the drums sound dark and muffled to me. 

Am I crazy, or is that the version you guys say has the drums set to "destroy"? Because 90% of the music I hear on a regular basis has drums that are many times more powerful than the drums on the original I heard (like the Radiohead or Coldplay examples mentioned in the linked thread). 

That being said, I love hearing folks take songs in a different direction, and I like both versions though from a "non-musician" perspective I would bet many folks would find the two versions to be quite similar. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Emian

06 Apr 2015

Emian wrote:wow, that mix really sounds great Benedict ^^ it breathes very nicely indeed, & alltough i'm quite into heavy drums, in this track i think it's good you lowered them down a lot !

selig wrote:
Personal preferences aside, I'm not sure I've heard the correct original with the drums set to "destroy" or the "heavy drums". The version linked in this thread as a soft kick that comes in and out in places, but it's mostly a stripped down song with guitar, vocals, and FX (and the kick). Yes, there is one or two places where I hear a second drum, but all the drums sound dark and muffled to me. 

Am I crazy, or is that the version you guys say has the drums set to "destroy"? Because 90% of the music I hear on a regular basis has drums that are many times more powerful than the drums on the original I heard (like the Radiohead or Coldplay examples mentioned in the linked thread). 

That being said, I love hearing folks take songs in a different direction, and I like both versions though from a "non-musician" perspective I would bet many folks would find the two versions to be quite similar. :)

i just found in benedicts remix , Drums are  taking way less space then in the original, & it/the track works well/better that way. :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2015

Hi Selig

I guess I get your confusion. In the file, some of the drums are put through the washing machine (literally, using Audiomatic) and they are really long strings of distortion. I felt they sucked a lot of subtly from the song - made it ugly even.

You are however right that the "original" you hear and my mixes are very similar as I simply re-balanced and stripped most of the distortions to let the lyric take center stage in a more traditional fashion.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2015

Emian wrote:

selig wrote:

Emian wrote:  
i just found in benedicts remix , Drums are  taking way less space then in the original, & it/the track works well/better that way. :)
Agreed 100%, I was just expecting to hear a mix where drums were loud, but I would call them "subdued". Just different folks using different terms, it's all relative to the types of music you listen to or work on, I guess. It's interesting how one man's "heavy drums" are another's "muffled drums", and one reason why it's so difficult to use words to clearly communicate when working on music! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Wensell

07 Apr 2015

Noob question from me, where is the original? I see this from the original post:
"`url` parameter is not a valid SoundCloud URL. Learn more about using.."

I really want to hear the old version. 
I like Benedict mix, i think your voice never has sounded so good. I find the "s"es a bit harsh, but I have only listened trough Apple headphones, so It may sound awesome on other equipment. Maybe if the reverb got a (heavier) treatment from Selig Deesser it would be better. 
Cool to see this kind of collaboration! More, plz, more!  :t2018:

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2015

Hi Wensell

Thanks for your interest. Sorry but all possible tracks considered for the album have been taken off the web for now as we look at what we do and don't want to have on the record. I have special dispensation to leave this for now as the conversation is still active.

I am still pushing for this track but it turns out there is a wealth of new material too, much of it stellar. Mr Alternative has been holding out on us.

BTW the original file had Selig De-Esser which probably solved your concern but I don't own the RE so I ignored in this proof of concept.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Tincture

07 Apr 2015

Glad to see the reason why all of L.A's stuff has been taken down is a good one! Good luck with it guys, I think it's a great idea to work together.

Wensell

09 Apr 2015

This is awesome. Please let "My Shallow Heart" make the cut.. It's a hit! And I really want to hear what you can do with that track. Have you heard it? 
And thanks for improving my english. "Stellar". What a cool word. Now you also got me thinking about Interstellar. Thats a stellar movie.

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2015

Hi Wensell

I will tell Mr Alternative you said that. "My Shallow Heart" is a pretty good track. I think I like it.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Soft Enerji

09 Apr 2015

The song is such a great starting point that both versions have their own merit and I honestly can't pick one above the other. I liked the original for it's raw approach the same as I like yours for its more polished approach. Nice work!

Cheers

Mark

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:The song is such a great starting point that both versions have their own merit and I honestly can't pick one above the other. I liked the original for it's raw approach the same as I like yours for its more polished approach. Nice work!

Cheers

Mark
Thanks Mark

This is something I am always trying to get over to people who obsess over studio tricks. Without a good song and a good performance, no amount of overdrive, side-chaining, or odd noises will make your record great.

This one starts with a wobbly vocal but that is forgotten as soon as the song gets going as it just draws you in. Jace wrote a really good song and delivered some solidly recorded parts. All it takes then is to be true to the song and let that out.

The enthusiasm both public and private for this project has been amazing already.

Thanks

Benedict Roff-Marsh

craven

09 Apr 2015

only heard the remixed version and I liked it!
:ugeek:

mbfrancis

09 Apr 2015

Love this.  Great track.  Love the frailty.

Feels like there are a couple of pitch issues - I'd correct outside of reason as it doesn't do well w/ low male vocals.
Also vocal pops *way* out for me sometimes - ride or compress.
Finally I agree w/ comments below that chorus gets a little same-y with the same line repeating.  

Great stuff.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information