did I mention I love playing drums on keys?

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
eox

31 Mar 2015

I absolutely love playing (attempting too as least..don't judge) the drums on the keys. Anyways, here's a preview to a new song I started writing yesterday. I decided to make a little drum video just for fun. It's shaky and NOT what I'm going to have for the actual song. http://youtu.be/9Si8MEEB4_Y

Wini

31 Mar 2015

Cool. :) How high is your output latency? Drummers tend to be keen on ultra-low latency when playing e-drums .....

eox

31 Mar 2015

Wini wrote:Cool. :) How high is your output latency? Drummers tend to be keen on ultra-low latency when playing e-drums .....
Thank you! I was running it at 256 samples with a latency of around 6.0 ms

JNeffLind

02 Apr 2015

Not sure how novel this technique is, but it's not something I've seen before. Actually opens up some pretty cool possibilities for playing as compared to a more traditional kong style pad where it's difficult to hit more than a couple pads at once (at least compared to a keyboard) as well as probably harder to hit multiple different pads in succession (again, compared to a keyboard). Seems like someone passionate about this technique could do some cool stuff with enough exploration/experimentation.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2015

Sweet, I do this from time to time to get ideas of how I want the drums sounds to be however I aint that good and at record time I do no more than a couple of instruments at a time.

selig
RE Developer

03 Apr 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Not sure how novel this technique is, but it's not something I've seen before. Actually opens up some pretty cool possibilities for playing as compared to a more traditional kong style pad where it's difficult to hit more than a couple pads at once (at least compared to a keyboard) as well as probably harder to hit multiple different pads in succession (again, compared to a keyboard). Seems like someone passionate about this technique could do some cool stuff with enough exploration/experimentation.
There was another guy here also posting some pretty impressive stuff recently, but I can't remember where exactly. 

As for novel, I've been doing it since around 1986 when I got my Akai S900. But I'm a drummer in addition to being a keyboard player (prefect candidate), and my Octapads didn't have enough pads to cover all the sounds. So I came up with a setup where I could play "live" drums from the keyboard, and would sequence parts from there. And by "sequence" I mean I'd play the song all the way through until I came up with a cool part and got a keeper track, rather than programming the verse, then the chorus, then stringing parts together by programming. Made it much easier to come up with drummer-like parts. But folks used to look at me like I was crazy…   ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Concep

03 Apr 2015

Very cool video.  THanks for sharing

joeyluck

03 Apr 2015

Awesome!

I prefer drums on keys myself.

My weighted keys have just the action I like for playing drums as well as piano.

Last Alternative

04 Apr 2015

That was impressive. I've tried playing my beats on keys but I always get lost and fumble around trying to remember where what is and it sounds like shite. So I'll usually draw in my beat and go back and redo the snare or hihat, playing it on keys for a more human feel. I never do it on kick because it needs to be rock solid in place but I might turn on snap and shift it ever so slightly here and there. Same with cymbals. You're a natural man. Again- I am genuinely impressed. And the music was very soothing.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

thefixr

07 Apr 2015

I'm pretty partial to using pads. I can definitely understand how someone might be keen on how many keys you can get you hands on at once - my issue is that I tend to play at a pace that would make it very tough for me to be very accurate on a keyboard (although I'm sure if I practiced it wouldn't be too bad). I use a Livid Base when I want something with a larger range and or if I am playing the part of the piano player or keyboard soloist. I generally use my Korg PadKONTROL's for everything else. Sometime my hands play Twister with each other when playing pads in ways that would probably be a nightmare using keys. 

Josh Mobley is the guy I think Selig was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQLJ9E6tO8
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

dflynn

09 Apr 2015

eox wrote:I absolutely love playing (attempting too as least..don't judge) the drums on the keys. Anyways, here's a preview to a new song I started writing yesterday. I decided to make a little drum video just for fun. It's shaky and NOT what I'm going to have for the actual song. http://youtu.be/9Si8MEEB4_Y
Are you using GM key mappings, or have you created something custom?

eox

18 Jul 2015

Wow I just saw the posts from a few months back. I really appreciate the encouragement and kind words!

dflynn I was using the GM mapping. I have grown accustomed to the feel.

I tend to get lost in tempo so I'm sorry for the sloppiness but again I appreciate the encouragement!

• Information