The comedown- need opinions from you Reason heads

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
C//AZM

19 Mar 2015

Is it obvious? The snare and synchronous pumping on the Hi hats? I know you can hear them but I'm having my doubts about using that snare because it's so obviously "that snare". Also I've been loving synchronous and the effects it puts on drums and perc. so perhaps I'm over doing it???
1-Should I use another, less obvious snare?
2- Am I over doing the synchronous?

This is a track that I'm working on for a singer/Rapper that I've worked with for years. This is her new grown up vibe for her next release.

C//AZM

19 Mar 2015

Hmmm...don't know why the sound cloud is missing now.
Oops, nevermind

Benedict
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2015

Hi

Sounds fine to me. I have no expectations so am merely hearing what I hear.

Personally I like the Rhodes and strings most so want more of them. Of course impossible to really say without the vocal in there.

The only possible negative I have is with the horns that come in every now and then as they seem very dry and "contrived". I assume they are MIDI so if you can find a tooter do do them for real they should have more sizzle.

I think maybe you are second-guessing yourself so carry on.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

C//AZM

20 Mar 2015

Thanks. I know that snare is rather overused and kind of obvious and might DATE the song. I may replace it but I love the low pitch and dull thap of it. Lol
But yeah the horns are just place holders and I will probably replace them with real tenor sax and flugal horn. Will post the vocs when we are done.
Thanks for your input.

Digitus

21 Mar 2015

I like this track, it's got a nice laid back feeling. I guess the only thing I noticed is that maybe the horns could be spiced up a little  to give em some life.

Last Alternative

21 Mar 2015

Vocals often distract from what else is going on unless it's not subtle. I'd say get the vocals in there and mix to your heart's content and then when you're happy get opinions. That's what I do which takes months per song because I'm never happy with it LOL. but Benedict is right. Vocals added will give better opinions, full song and all but remember less is more and all that jazz.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

submonsterz

21 Mar 2015

Yeah could be nice track. First thought without seeing others comments was the brass/horns definately just don't fit or sound right. They need to either be replaced or worked on the make em sound more realise. The keys I really like but I'd add more distortion to em for my taste but they are nice as they are and my taste for distorted tones is not everyone's cup of tea. Will like to hear this with the rapper on etc . And them horns sorted or replaced :) .
But very chilled all round so far.
and p's do not take months on it lol Mr alternative has an ocd and he knows it . Spend a few minutes mixing down bounce listen go back spend few more minutes correcting final bounce and be happy. Or YOU WILL catch Mr alternatives mix ocd lol.
Jason stop fussing and just do it lol You are you're own worst enemy commit yourself and move on to the next ;) .

Last Alternative

21 Mar 2015

^ Right you are. It's a huge problem I'm tackling and kicking my ass knowing I have so many song that could've been done by now. I'll get over it and stop hoarding soon!

-Jace
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

C//AZM

21 Mar 2015

Ok vocals done last night. It's all scratch voc.
She just comes in and freestyles everything so the lyrics will probably be 50% different by the time we record the final vocs. That is except the chorus which I wrote, lol. That stays.

Horns will be real tenor sax and trumpet but I usually wait till I get several songs and bring the horn players in and knock out all of them in one session. The arrangement will change, the trumpeter Donn Jae is an excellent horn arranger/fixer but they still will be sparse like that.
Will probably add real muted guitar too.
Still thinking about changing the snare. ;-)
I still love the synchronous on the HH, reminds me of a slithering snake!

Lola Damone: "Comeback" (or "Circles")

C//AZM

21 Mar 2015

And yes I sometimes get that "Never perfect" bug. and You're right, sometimes you gotta just let the children leave the nest as is!

submonsterz

21 Mar 2015

yep sounds much better with the vocs on few stray notes in em but she is pretty tight and gives the track a nice vibe. good voice too.
make shure finished product is posted here id like to hear it finished as seems good track so far .
with a nice sound to the mix too here I like its sound . :) . and on the snare you could layer a real snappy snap on it might give it a bit more err snap :) .
think that's all it would need short tight snap maybe like a high really tight rim shot maybe ?.

JNeffLind

22 Mar 2015

No problems for me. I don't think I'm listening with enough sophistication to understand the nuances of your concern, but at least to a casual listener it sounds fine.

C//AZM

26 Mar 2015

JNeffLind wrote:No problems for me. I don't think I'm listening with enough sophistication to understand the nuances of your concern, but at least to a casual listener it sounds fine.
Eh it was just that snare. It's the most common snare that I hear when people first use Reason. I kinda think of it as the Noob snare. Even though I like it. lol. There's one on almost every instrument with presets. I almost always stay away from un-altered presets unless it's something that really catches my ear. I'm just a tweaker at heart. That snare sound was just sticking out there.
Thanks for all of your feedback guys.

inmatus

26 Mar 2015

I think the snare is ok.. Shouldn't distract you too much from the vocal.. Could try a clap instead of snare or even switch clap and snare on different parts of the song to make it swing even more?

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2015

Coming along nicely. Nice singer.

While the snare is acceptable (and no casual listener will know its a preset - merely that it has that hip-hop sound) I agree with the others who suggest a shorter sound, some or all of the time.

I would still like to hear more of those silky Rhodes. At least for a while to add a touch of class.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information