WIP Demo

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
RequiemMachine

04 Mar 2015

Here's an early WIP demo of one of the tracks I'm working on for my debut album. Everything is in Reason 8. The drums are V-Drums controller Addictive Drums and being piped into separate channels in Reason 8 via Soundflower.

My process is to get the organic instruments down first and get a song I'm happy with...then I start mangling, editing and processing to get the twisted electronic hybrid rock/metal sound in my head. 

Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

jappe

16 Mar 2015

Yes, this is very good:-)
I notice that a compressor is twisting the cymbals when it starts pumping to the fast bass drum from 3:45.
But perhaps this is an intentional effect?

Good luck with your album!

Last Alternative

16 Mar 2015

It all sounds huge but I don't hear any bass guitar at all. Some rockin vocals will be the frosting on the cake. Great beat. I personally think the cymbal pumping in the bridge makes it rock more and is common for adding energy in commercial rock. I do it too. It sounds killer everywhere minus the end part where the hihat/cymbals sound like they're running thru an Aligator.. a little too much sidechaining there. I'd automate the threshold on that part.
What drum samples are those?

You mentioned you want it to be electronic rock. I find it easier to do it all at once. Electronic-ing it up later won't sound right. Add in the sounds you hear in your head before they leave your head and before you fall in love with it as just being rock. You can always mute those electronic element tracks and fine-tune the organic stuff. But that's just me. I prefer to hear my music taking shape from the beginning, the way I hear it in my head.
Godspeed on your album. I've also been working on my debut album for far too long. :s0106:
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

RequiemMachine

19 Apr 2015

jappe wrote:Yes, this is very good:-)
I notice that a compressor is twisting the cymbals when it starts pumping to the fast bass drum from 3:45.
But perhaps this is an intentional effect?
Good luck with your album!
Its somewhat intentional....this isn't exactly meant to a be a final mix at all. Its a WIP demo (just drums and guitar at the moment) as I work on the rock elements of the song. Thanks for the kind words! :)

Last Alternative wrote:It all sounds huge but I don't hear any bass guitar at all. Some rockin vocals will be the frosting on the cake. Great beat. I personally think the cymbal pumping in the bridge makes it rock more and is common for adding energy in commercial rock. I do it too. It sounds killer everywhere minus the end part where the hihat/cymbals sound like they're running thru an Aligator.. a little too much sidechaining there. I'd automate the threshold on that part.
Thank you. There isn't any bass guitar in there, its just a WIP demo of the guitar and drums as I work on the rock elements. Its not meant to be a final mix. Its just an overly aggressive limiter I slapped on to preview the process so far. When I actually finish the arrangement and start mixing, I'll tackle those issues. Not really worried about them yet.

Last Alternative wrote:What drum samples are those?
The drums are actually Addictive Drums 2 (Metal ADPack) triggered from my Roland V-Drums.

Last Alternative wrote:You mentioned you want it to be electronic rock. I find it easier to do it all at once. Electronic-ing it up later won't sound right. Add in the sounds you hear in your head before they leave your head and before you fall in love with it as just being rock. You can always mute those electronic element tracks and fine-tune the organic stuff. But that's just me. I prefer to hear my music taking shape from the beginning, the way I hear it in my head.
I definitely appreciate your opinion. This is how I work. Its a process I've been using successfully for a long time. Making music in a linear fashion has never really worked for me, mind mind works better in a non-linear kind of way. Generally the ideas and concepts in my head are just sketches anyway...I start building the components then start putting them together. I usually end up with something different than what I intend (and its usually better). That's also why there is no Bass guitar in this track. Most of the time I write guitars and drums first...bass guitar only finds its way into my tracks if it makes since down the road for what I want (its usually bass synths). :)
Last Alternative wrote:Godspeed on your album. I've also been working on my debut album for far too long.  :s0106:
Thanks! Good luck with your album too! 
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

• Information