New collaboration by epiphany algorithm - All The Stars

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
am0eba

28 Feb 2015

Just posted this new collaboration I did with Scott Kauffman as epiphany algorithm:

Scott posted a finished instrumental version a while ago, and it inspired some lyrics. We both took it from there.

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

jappe

19 Mar 2015

March 1, and this awesome tune has zero replies :?

Perhaps Reasontalk needs to increase forum members tenfold to find the audience for every tune.

This is music I really like; it's like a cooperation tune with Elegant Machinery, Joy Division and VNV Nation where they agreed to stay positive.

JNeffLind

19 Mar 2015

Very upbeat feel. I'm having a bit of trouble with the lyrics though, maybe because of effects or mixing or whatever. If you could make them more intelligible and standout a bit more I think it's help a lot. Even with them in the mud a bit, this track works. It sounds like the song that plays over end credits at the end of an upbeat movie where the guy finally gets the girl, etc. 

am0eba

19 Mar 2015

jappe wrote:March 1, and this awesome tune has zero replies :?

Perhaps Reasontalk needs to increase forum members tenfold to find the audience for every tune.

This is music I really like; it's like a cooperation tune with Elegant Machinery, Joy Division and VNV Nation where they agreed to stay positive.
Thanks so much for the awesome comment, jappe! Glad you enjoyed it!

_Dave_

"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:

am0eba

19 Mar 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Very upbeat feel. I'm having a bit of trouble with the lyrics though, maybe because of effects or mixing or whatever. If you could make them more intelligible and standout a bit more I think it's help a lot. Even with them in the mud a bit, this track works. It sounds like the song that plays over end credits at the end of an upbeat movie where the guy finally gets the girl, etc. 
It was a conscious decision to muddy up the vocals a bit with the vocoder because I just couldn't do them justice, even with an augmented "performance" (Neptune, sequencer editing, etc.)… We had aversion where the vocals were crystal clear, but also pretty much unbearable. Would still like to get a good vocalist to do a version of it!

For what it's worth, the lyrics are available in the song info on the sound cloud page, if you're interested.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment!

_Dave_

"F" the ineffable! 

am0eba

19 Mar 2015

@jappe: Also, thanks for the links to the artists you mentioned! I was familiar with Joy Division, but had never heard of Elegant Machinery. (Seems like someone else once compared something I worked on to VNV Nation… Had never heard their stuff before… Very cool!)

Thanks again!

_Dave_

"F" the ineffable! 

C//AZM

19 Mar 2015

I like the vibe of the song. One issue for me is the kick. Does it Oompf enough? It seems to be losing it's low end. I like the kick and the phasing on the kick snap, but Isn't it mandatory for the kick to be more prominent? maybe around 50hz?
It's quite possible that i'm FOS though.

am0eba

20 Mar 2015

C//AZM wrote: I like the vibe of the song. One issue for me is the kick. Does it Oompf enough? It seems to be losing it's low end. I like the kick and the phasing on the kick snap, but Isn't it mandatory for the kick to be more prominent? maybe around 50hz?
It's quite possible that i'm FOS though.
Thanks for the helpful comment!  I think When Scott first put the track together it had just what you're talking about, but I wanted to mess with the kick in the intro, and so I put that phasing* processing on it. I liked it so much, I kept it that way throughout the track.

For what it's worth, I'm a million** years old, and maybe don't need that visceral thing happening… I've got a subwoofer, but usually only listen on 'phones...

_Dave_

* "Phasing" is from Reason's half-rack, built-in flanger/chorus module...

** 60, really.

"F" the ineffable! 

JNeffLind

22 Mar 2015

am0eba wrote: It was a conscious decision to muddy up the vocals a bit with the vocoder because I just couldn't do them justice, even with an augmented "performance" (Neptune, sequencer editing, etc.)… We had aversion where the vocals were crystal clear, but also pretty much unbearable. Would still like to get a good vocalist to do a version of it!

For what it's worth, the lyrics are available in the song info on the sound cloud page, if you're interested.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment!

_Dave_
The eternal quest for the available vocalist. I'm with you there. Looking forward to the RE that manages that. (haha)

Soft Enerji

05 Apr 2015

this is wonderfully uplifting..........great stuff...........and the vox ain't so bad :)

Puckboy2000

05 Apr 2015

am0eba wrote:Just posted this new collaboration I did with Scott Kauffman as epiphany algorithm:

Scott posted a finished instrumental version a while ago, and it inspired some lyrics. We both took it from there.

_Dave_
Hey Guys,

First of all, I like the song. I have always loved synth pop.
My favorite band of all time is Anything Box.
Just a few issues.
1. The drum beat needs to change up a little, maybe to separate the parts.
I struggle with that as well.

2. I am not a fan of the vocoder effect on vocals
But I get that as well. Me and my buddy would ideally like to get a vocalist too.

3. I think it loops too much. For me, it makes the song to circular in motion so I am not getting the push and pull of emotions.

I think a break or maybe doubling the unitial chord progression before dropping in the second chord progression might work.
I'd might also beginning with an instrumental intro before dropping in the beat to creat some initial suspense.

I LOVE the instrumental rise at the end. It really puts a nice ending on it and gives it some soul.

Thanks for posting it.

Chaz
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

am0eba

06 Apr 2015

Thanks for listening, and for the comments, guys! Much appreciated!

_Dave_

"F" the ineffable! 

• Information