Vangelis Tribute

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
darkmode

26 Feb 2015

This is my humble attempt at a Vangelis tribute.
It is a re-working of a track I was never really happy with. I took it down from SoundCloud a few months ago. I think it's improved but please let me know what you think.
Cheers!

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2015

Hi Mr Mode

The Big V is easy to emulate in some ways but in others he has a unique feel that is easy to miss. He has this ability to wait till the note is really needed then play it and let it hang. There is a great little peek in to his method on the Wikipedia page near the bottom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangelis

I think you have the sounds and style pretty well nailed and it would seem like it would fit in the Reprise collection. I think you should be happy. The tricky thing is knowing what to do with such a track as dropping it on a Darkmode album would seem funny (unless as an out take).

I am thinking we should do a Reason User's Vangelis Tribute record. Have to use 100% Reason to make a new piece that pays homage to Vangelis. I'd say you were in with this.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

darkmode

28 Feb 2015

Hi Benedict,
               That article is a fascinating insight into his writing process. Interesting that he liked to play as many synths as possible in one take. I wonder, in these days of digital recording and DAWs if he still records this way.

Thank you for your kind comments. I wrote this piece about 10 years ago when I first got Reason and resurrected it last year after I did my Jarre tribute 'Lakes of light'. It just seemed right to post up tributes to all my heroes I grew up listening to. More to come possibly :-)

In regards to a 'Darkmode' album, there would be a bit of a dilemma as I enjoy creating various different genres, although my first love to create is orchestral score type music. I'm currently working on a trance/dance piece as this is the sort of stuff I write for my wife as she is well into dance music.

Do you think that posting different types of music on my SoundCloud page would do me a disservice? Should I keep to one genre?

Thanks again mate!

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2015

Hi Mr Mode

You can have an album with many different styles BUT only so long as there is a thing that connects them strongly enough. Sadly these days people seem super defensive about sub-genres so perhaps that common things needs to be a stronger than say in the 80's where being interesting was expected.

I personally think posting random things on Soundcloud probably does an artist more damage than good as there is no sense of a defined project or vision. I always get into an artist for their vision - or at least the one they present. Soundcloud really denies that, which is why I prefer Bandcamp. Or even YouTube if you can control video.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

darkmode

01 Mar 2015

Thanks Benedict. Great advice as usual. Sticking with my film score music is something that would make more sense as this is something I am looking to get into professionally in the future, (as you have done). Also having grown up in the late 70s and then the 80s, I too feel that showing your diversity should be a good thing. I'm  afraid however that you are right. At least for SoundCloud this is probably not the case these days

YouTube is my next step but as I work full time, time is not my friend at the moment.

Thank you again.

Cheers!

Ecopro

01 Mar 2015

Hey dm! This is a beautiful piece of art. The production and mix values are very high here. Even though; I don't really know Vangelis' work that well, I've watched Blade Runner more times than I remember. I can tell you definitely that this track wouldn't be out of place in that film. 

Regarding keeping yourself to one style, I don't. SC or Bandcamp, anywhere really, it makes no difference. The more versatile you are, the better for you. More doors will open up, more paths to walk on. The future is not certain, why limit yourself?...if you enjoy walking in different paths, why not? destiny will be reached regardless of what path you take. 
Guts Electronic Mayhem

darkmode

01 Mar 2015

Thank you Ed for the great comments and advice. I'm looking at another way to approach this.

Loving your stuff by the way, you were an immediate follow for me.

DeltaHotelVictory

02 Mar 2015

You nailed it. This definitely sounds like something he could have made back in the days. Great work!

darkmode

02 Mar 2015

DeltaHotelVictory wrote:You nailed it. This definitely sounds like something he could have made back in the days. Great work!
Thanks mate!

forensickbeats

02 Mar 2015

This song really resembles Vangelis works. 

darkmode

02 Mar 2015

DeltaHotelVictory wrote:You nailed it. This definitely sounds like something he could have made back in the days. Great work!
Glad you like it. Cheers.

darkmode

02 Mar 2015

forensickbeats wrote:This song really resembles Vangelis works. 
Thank you.

Digitus

04 Mar 2015

Yup...  It definitely has that Vangelis sound. It's a good listen so thanks for sharing...  ;)

darkmode

04 Mar 2015

Digitus wrote:Yup...  It definitely has that Vangelis sound. It's a good listen so thanks for sharing...  ;)
Thanks for listening!

• Information