[Guitar Rock - Heavy(ish)] -- Beast Trip

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
stratatonic

15 Feb 2015

Took a Ryan Harlin riff from Discover (who had tweaked a Mattias math riff), used his audio and added changes and new sections for my take on the whole deal.

http://phead.mu/s/AE70GqOF

eusti

15 Feb 2015

Cool! :)

D.

Edit: Although, personally, I'd have loved the one guitar sound a little less hollow and more in my face...
(Says the guy with no guitar experience!)

stratatonic

16 Feb 2015

eusti wrote:Cool! :)

D.

Edit: Although, personally, I'd have loved the one guitar sound a little less hollow and more in my face...
(Says the guy with no guitar experience!)
Yeah, I agree with the guitar analysis. Was my first Discover attempt at putting instruments on top of an already compressed stereo track and then trying to add brand new parts without the original Discover track so that would all sound the same.

Ryan created a cool riff that basically just looped. That's what it seems so many drops are. Loops. And nobody seems to expand them.

Thanks for listening. :)

eusti

16 Feb 2015

It's great! As a German though I tend to see what could be even better / how something can be "helped" to get to 100%... That attitude can be an issue! ;)

D.

stratatonic

16 Feb 2015

eusti wrote:It's great! As a German though I tend to see what could be even better / how something can be "helped" to get to 100%... That attitude can be an issue!  ;)

D.
I understand and totally appreciate your opinion. If I redo this, I'll definitely have the guitars more upfront. And likely different drums. And maybe some vocals. I honestly don't know what to do with this going forward. I mean, it's sort of my tune, but sort of not as I didn't come up with the riff and twists that inspired it. It's more of a Discover experiment at this point, I guess. I think I give up all rights. Not sure if I'll do this sort of thing again. :?

eusti

16 Feb 2015

stratatonic wrote:
eusti wrote:It's great! As a German though I tend to see what could be even better / how something can be "helped" to get to 100%... That attitude can be an issue!  ;)

D.
stratatonic wrote: I understand and totally appreciate your opinion. If I redo this, I'll definitely have the guitars more upfront. And likely different drums. And maybe some vocals. I honestly don't know what to do with this going forward. I mean, it's sort of my tune, but sort of not as I didn't come up with the riff and twists that inspired it. It's more of a Discover experiment at this point, I guess. I think I give up all rights. Not sure if I'll do this sort of thing again. :?
Sorry to hear that you feel conflicted about the song and how to continue with it...
You could ask the involved parties how they felt about you continuing to work on it...
Unless you are aiming to commercially release it... But, of course, I'm not a lawyer... ;)

D.

Tincture

19 Feb 2015

Nice little ditty, liked the drums a lot, the synths and the guitar processing (agree about the upfrontness). Flows really well :) Hopefully, you'll get someone to sing on it via Discover ?

VNUprod

07 Mar 2015

That was really cool! May be I should discover Discover as well one day.

Last Alternative

07 Mar 2015

The snare effect sounds awesome. Love the flanging. Great guitar tones. Is that a real guitar, or midi? It sounds midi. Supercool rhythm. Nice tune. It would be cool for a tv show intro.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

jappe

07 Mar 2015

stratatonic wrote:Took a Ryan Harlin riff from Discover (who had tweaked a Mattias math riff), used his audio and added changes and new sections for my take on the whole deal.

I think you improved the original!
There is a very nice synth coming in for example at 00:27, but I can barely hear it!
Or is there some problem with my headphones...

I find myself struggling with mixes often, thinking a sound is loud enough but then when I change to headphones or another set of monitors/consumer speakers it's either far too loud or far too quiet.

I guess it's all about understanding the monitors I use, and compensate in the mix for the "flaws" I know about.

stratatonic

08 Mar 2015

ABBA wrote:Nice little ditty, liked the drums a lot, the synths and the guitar processing (agree about the upfrontness). Flows really well :) Hopefully, you'll get someone to sing on it via Discover ?
Thanks. Wanna sing? :)

stratatonic

08 Mar 2015

VNUprod wrote:That was really cool! May be I should discover Discover as well one day.
Thanks for the listen. I haven't really warmed up to Discover, to tell the truth. I wish drops were more organized somehow, so I'm not listening to genres that I don't want to hear. It can be a real time waster, and so many drops are happening that stuff gets buried pretty quick.

stratatonic

08 Mar 2015

Last Alternative wrote:The snare effect sounds awesome. Love the flanging. Great guitar tones. Is that a real guitar, or midi? It sounds midi. Supercool rhythm. Nice tune. It would be cool for a tv show intro.
The flanging was Ryan's doing. There are a couple tracks of real guitars that I did, copying Ryan's main riff which I think is midi. I think....

stratatonic

08 Mar 2015

stratatonic wrote:Took a Ryan Harlin riff from Discover (who had tweaked a Mattias math riff), used his audio and added changes and new sections for my take on the whole deal.

jappe wrote:
I think you improved the original!
There is a very nice synth coming in for example at 00:27, but I can barely hear it!
Or is there some problem with my headphones...

I find myself struggling with mixes often, thinking a sound is loud enough but then when I change to headphones or another set of monitors/consumer speakers it's either far too loud or far too quiet.

I guess it's all about understanding the monitors I use, and compensate in the mix for the "flaws" I know about.

I was trying to add to the original. An inspiring riff. Right up my alley... :)
Yes the mix levels can be improved, although I wasn't trying to have the synth very loud intentionally, but you're right, that could work as well. It was a fun tune to work on. :)

• Information