The Take In

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2015

(2 Anidotes, Several QUADs and a Kong..)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2015

Thanks Dude...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 May 2015

Added comments here from another post about this song.
submonsterz wrote: just listened to the first one Carly like it nice vibe but big definite no on drums !! all panned to left side not good at all if you going to hard pan the drums use each side different elements.
better still dynamically pan them through the whole track for a better result and leave it no more than three quarters each side on the pans id say . in headphones the hard left all drums does not sound nice at all honestly  ;) .
im shure you know how to dynamically pan 
but if not just ask itll be answered with many different ways of how to approach that .
the drums my only gripe on this one. there is a funny click going on I heard on one of the arps coming in but cant remember now im typing akk. but listen hard you`ll hear it loud and proud.could be encoding error even if it not in original file in reason.
will listen to next one now.
Benedict wrote:Hi

I'm going to disagree here. If it is Dance then I will agree as the Kik rules the mix but if the melodies etc are more important then there is absolutely no reason no to pan drums all off to one side (usually left). The Beatles, Beach Boys, Velvet Underground etc. all did it and a lot of those mixes are very intelligent.

In this case the drums don't rule the mix but you still wanted the rhythmic element whilst allowing all the thicker sounds to spread and be that thick. I think this makes a great solution for that track and in fact makes one of Carly's better balanced mixes.

Some traditions are good and some are out of fear alone.

:)
submonsterz wrote: and that's why I hate all them old mixes on todays stereo systems and especially for headphone listening sounds horrible very very horrible. 
on speakers you get away with it but in headphones no, I totally see no reason for that old panning system to be used today 
especially as headphone listening probally number one way to listen now days for people and dynamically panning is best suited for that than hard panned one side drums in my opinion. panning certain elements is ok but not all ... and if you want to throw things off to the side there is especially no reason to hard pan drums you can narrow them more centre if that's the case. I think if dynamic panning was as easy back then as today I think they would had thought that more so than hard pan to one side .

and id like to add its a very one sided mix too if you didn't notice the big db difference in left and right due to the stacking to the left channel its a constantly higher to the left side mix for the majority of the track .
Benedict wrote:I get your point, I really do. I expected this sort of response even. I must say I haven't hard panned drums since I panned my Metal Dual Kik drums L-R-L-R in the mid 90s.

I mostly have my Media Player playing anything in my collection randomly as I sit writing Blog posts etc in front of my monitors same as when I compose/mix so right now I'm hearing a Country tack from 2005, next I could hear OMD from 1980 or The Band from 1970 (actually it is Spandau Ballet from 1984). Recently a Beach Boys track came up and I really noticed that the drums were all off on one side and vocals over there etc. It caught my attention and immediately heard someone else's voice, saying that it shouldn't be done that way. So I stopped and really listened. The mix was in fact great, I could follow along nicely and there was no sense of ping pong happening. Maybe it wouldn't be mixed that way now but it certainly wasn't wrong.

As for checking levels, I sure didn't. I doubt many listeners would. Listeners shouldn't care about technical stuff, they just want the magic. Listen to the music and not the production. Maybe that is why a lot of modern music is so horrible, I see interesting lyrics but the end result is so empty as it is all about technique, production and other tricks and not the reason for the piece, the song. 

:)

REF the panning of the drums, TBH I forgot that version had the drums hard panned to the left, it was an accident and I did not notice it for a couple of days, I still have the drums panned to the left in my current mix but at -30 with a width spread.
Just trying to find that click sound so I have been listen to the soundcloud version with the hard pan left drums and it works for me !!! LOL

submonsterz

01 May 2015

Total time to record of cloud and mix it to this 28.22 mins.
lost some panning info from yours because was working with a recording of ya cloud page.
but I think even though couldn't get drums how id do em this having them more centre works much better.
im shure on original you can work them better and to me sounds way better more central than that horrid hard pan . lots of listeners of music not producers will hate hard panned all drums .

ill delete as soon as you listened and I see you say here remove file from cloud I tried a private share but it will not on this site seem to let you share a private track no matter how hard I try to make it do it .
mentioned it here before and in private to selig but its still the same .
try making private track copy secret code and try getting it to show here ....

I suggest you play your cloud file back to back to mine .

JNeffLind

02 May 2015

Very cool sound design. Dig this track. The musical composition doesn't stand out quite as much, but it serves as a solid foundation for the cool stuff you're doing with the various synths. And to be clear, I think the sound design more than carries this track. More musical variation might actually get in the way. Thanks for sharing. 

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 May 2015

submonsterz wrote:Total time to record of cloud and mix it to this 28.22 mins.
lost some panning info from yours because was working with a recording of ya cloud page.
but I think even though couldn't get drums how id do em this having them more centre works much better.
im shure on original you can work them better and to me sounds way better more central than that horrid hard pan . lots of listeners of music not producers will hate hard panned all drums .

ill delete as soon as you listened and I see you say here remove file from cloud I tried a private share but it will not on this site seem to let you share a private track no matter how hard I try to make it do it .
I have listen to a few times however if you can leave it there a few days as I want to sit down and really take it in....

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 May 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Very cool sound design. Dig this track. The musical composition doesn't stand out quite as much, but it serves as a solid foundation for the cool stuff you're doing with the various synths. And to be clear, I think the sound design more than carries this track. More musical variation might actually get in the way. Thanks for sharing. 
Cheers for you feedback.... That's the hard part if to add more layers or variation as you can loose the original essence of a song.. That's why I like feedback and need feedback :s0225:

submonsterz

03 May 2015

submonsterz wrote:Total time to record of cloud and mix it to this 28.22 mins.

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
I have listen to a few times however if you can leave it there a few days as I want to sit down and really take it in....

Yeah just tell me when you want it removed and ill do it ok :) . Wish I'd had had the pluggs to do the original file or the stems to have done exactly what I had in mind . Just hard to re pan stuff etc from a full track recording with stuff all ready thrown about different places . You mess with other stuff that is panned ok to the sides etc . And on jneffs comment in my mind I think this track has all the elements it needs and quite like the variations being minimal as is rolls nicer and to me sets a long evolving journey broken in between by nice injections of sounds to take the brain momentarily on another path then straight back to the journey.

mbfrancis

04 May 2015

This is very cool, love the sounds and the overall vibe.  Cool straight up analog-y synth bits.  I like how it changes throughout and brings in new things.  Nice journey.

* I with it had a melody or theme that came in (or in and out) that stuck - tight now it feels very noodly
* Similarly the overall arrangement felt very static for me.  I would have loved some stops/starts, breakdowns, builds etc.  It got a little boring for me. 

Good stuff, thanks for posting!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2015

Bit of an old post but I have only just got around to getting a SC Pro account so I can replace my tracks on the fly.

Made a few changes. Also made available 48KHz 24bit download so you listen to it the way it's meant to sound  :s0221:

https://soundcloud.com/carly-montague/the-take-in

• Information