Distribution deal ?!

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Janvier

31 Jan 2015

Anyone here is using distribution service like CD Baby and others ?

I don't know what to think about to services but I really which to get my track over iTunes, Spotify and so on. But unfortunately Im not on any label.

Need some advice from you mates.

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2015

You don't need to be on a label to get on Spotify or iTunes.

http://www.dittomusic.com/

^^ First page of a Google search for, "Get your music on itunes" ;)

pushedbutton

31 Jan 2015

Apparently it's pretty cheap to register as an artist with google play too.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jonheal

31 Jan 2015

Did anyone notice my post about Discover becoming a distribution service?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

djfm1983

31 Jan 2015

soundcloud.com/djfm1983

Janvier

31 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Well email your best tracks to as many good labels as you like & you will be heard in due time! :)
Seriously, this is the old way. I read from article about getting distribution that they are
overwhelmed by those kind of email and most of them will don't give a shit about your email. Maybe Im wrong, but I think there is better way to get some attention. But Im not an expert. 

Janvier

31 Jan 2015

jonheal wrote:Did anyone notice my post about Discover becoming a distribution service?
I don't think so ! Can you post the link ! 

Janvier

31 Jan 2015

avasopht wrote:You don't need to be on a label to get on Spotify or iTunes.

http://www.dittomusic.com/

^^ First page of a Google search for, "Get your music on itunes" ;)

Yes I know. But my question is... Are these services (CDBaby, Ditto) worth it ? 
I just want to know about experienced user if there is any ! Is good and why? Is it
evil, why ?

Tre Trelos

31 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Well email your best tracks to as many good labels as you like & you will be heard in due time! :)
Hi George !!

Actually 99% of labels won't even open the email - or snail mail for that matter.
They are afraid they will get sued for copyright infringement down the road, so they just trash everything.

Tre Trelos

31 Jan 2015

Janvier wrote:Anyone here is using distribution service like CD Baby and others ?

I don't know what to think about to services but I really which to get my track over iTunes, Spotify and so on. But unfortunately Im not on any label.

Need some advice from you mates.
Take this with a grain of salt, some people have success with this.

https://www.taxi.com/

I believe they are tied into CD Baby.

I've never used the service and there is a lot of hype but some of it looks pretty good.

As always, Buyer Beware.  :-)

esselfortium

31 Jan 2015

I've used CD Baby for two albums and I have no complaints with their service, though it's been a couple years since the last one I did.

I might just use Bandcamp for future releases, though, rather than spending money to get physical CDs made.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Janvier

31 Jan 2015

esselfortium wrote:I've used CD Baby for two albums and I have no complaints with their service, though it's been a couple years since the last one I did.
Why did you let CD Baby services ?

Julibee

31 Jan 2015

Janvier, this is the best compilation and explanation of do it yourself distribution services... http://aristake.com/post/cd-baby-tuneco ... imbalam-or

I used Distrokid. It was crazy simple, cheaper than the others, and I've been very happy with it. In fact, Distrokid founder, Phil Kaplan, now follows me on Twitter, as does Distrokid. That was what made the difference for me-- I tweeted about how I wasn't sure which to choose, and Distrokid almost immediately tweeted back. It was pure Marketing, sure, but they took notice and replied and got my business. I've since tweeted several questions to them, and they have always answered quickly. If Distrokid meets your needs, I highly recommend them.

Edit to add: I also recommend Bandcamp. But, that's on your own. No distribution company "distributes" to Bandcamp. At least not that I know of.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

esselfortium

31 Jan 2015

esselfortium wrote:I've used CD Baby for two albums and I have no complaints with their service, though it's been a couple years since the last one I did.
Janvier wrote:
Why did you let CD Baby services ?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try to answer as best as I can.

I think I first heard of CD Baby from Adam Fielding, who was using them at the time. I released one album with them in 2007 when I was in high school, and a second album in 2011. I used Disc Makers for the CD production (CD Baby didn't have their own production service yet), and did a limited run of 100 copies for each. I still have a bunch of CDs left over, as most of my sales have been digital.

I prefer to make digital sales directly through CD Baby because it pays better than going through iTunes, but they made it pretty easy to get my music on iTunes and a lot of other online stores as well, which is a nice bonus because it's better exposure than just being on one site. I like that there are no subscription fees to keep my music with them. I haven't done tons of research into alternatives, but I'm satisfied enough with the service they've provided.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Janvier

31 Jan 2015

esselfortium wrote:
I prefer to make digital sales directly through CD Baby because it pays better than going through iTunes, but they made it pretty easy to get my music on iTunes and a lot of other online stores as well, which is a nice bonus because it's better exposure than just being on one site. I like that there are no subscription fees to keep my music with them. I haven't done tons of research into alternatives, but I'm satisfied enough with the service they've provided.
Thanks, your answer is answering my question !

Janvier

31 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:Janvier, this is the best compilation and explanation of do it yourself distribution services... http://aristake.com/post/cd-baby-tuneco ... imbalam-or I used Distrokid. It was crazy simple, cheaper than the others, and I've been very happy with it. In fact, Distrokid founder, Phil Kaplan, now follows me on Twitter, as does Distrokid. That was what made the difference for me-- I tweeted about how I wasn't sure which to choose, and Distrokid almost immediately tweeted back. It was pure Marketing, sure, but they took notice and replied and got my business. I've since tweeted several questions to them, and they have always answered quickly. If Distrokid meets your needs, I highly recommend them. Edit to add: I also recommend Bandcamp. But, that's on your own. No distribution company "distributes" to Bandcamp. At least not that I know of.
I already know bandcamp... but the fact is I don't have time to put that much effort to create traffic on bandcamp. 

Thanks for the link really helpful ! Also, you have a really nice voice. Looking forward for future collabs with vocal. 

Cheers

Julibee

31 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:Janvier, this is the best compilation and explanation of do it yourself distribution services... http://aristake.com/post/cd-baby-tuneco ... imbalam-or I used Distrokid. It was crazy simple, cheaper than the others, and I've been very happy with it. In fact, Distrokid founder, Phil Kaplan, now follows me on Twitter, as does Distrokid. That was what made the difference for me-- I tweeted about how I wasn't sure which to choose, and Distrokid almost immediately tweeted back. It was pure Marketing, sure, but they took notice and replied and got my business. I've since tweeted several questions to them, and they have always answered quickly. If Distrokid meets your needs, I highly recommend them. Edit to add: I also recommend Bandcamp. But, that's on your own. No distribution company "distributes" to Bandcamp. At least not that I know of.
Janvier wrote:
I already know bandcamp... but the fact is I don't have time to put that much effort to create traffic on bandcamp. 

Thanks for the link really helpful ! Also, you have a really nice voice. Looking forward for future collabs with vocal. 

Cheers
Yes, I know what you mean about time involved to create Bandcamp traffic, etc--- I was very surprised when the first sale I had came from there. Point being, if you can make your site, it's just another way for people to buy it. Some people really seem to support Bandcamp.

Thanks for the nice note about my voice. Cheers!
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

platzangst

01 Feb 2015

Julibee wrote:Some people really seem to support Bandcamp.
Speaking as a consumer and not so much as an artist, I really find myself preferring to buy music from Bandcamp these days.

I still like to get physical copies of albums. But as hard copies become more and more a niche market, fewer people are manufacturing CDs (my preferred format), and a lot of people are shifting to vinyl. If someone only releases physical copies as vinyl LPs, that means I have to rely on whatever service (if any) they choose to use to offer digital downloads. And if they only offer MP3s, that means I'm getting a lossy copy of the original sound. Not every service offers lossless audio.

So if I can buy some label's vinyl release through Bandcamp, I can get lossless FLAC downloads (or OGG or a lot of other formats) immediately through the Bandcamp site as well as a physical copy later in the mail, and be supporting the artist more directly.

• Information