What did YOU in the past millennium??

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
JoshuaPhilgarlic

30 Jan 2015

I just scrolled down my Soundcloud list and noticed two very old songs I once uploaded just for testing the "new service". I made them in the 90s together with my friends in the "pre plugin era". We had an Atari ST for MIDI, some hardware synths and a - applause! - digital mixer (some Yamaha stuff, can't remember the name)! All this was recorded to cassette tape (and later, when it was possible, transferred to DAT etc.).

So, here's the first one. We used Korg DW-8000, Roland D-20 and possibly a Doepfer 404 for the backings. Loops and all the sample fun comes from Emu ESI-32 and a bunch of sample CDs.

The second one: I did the playback without my fellows this time (the bass is Doepfer 404 - definitely!). I gave it to my friend Tö, and he played his guitar :shock: ...

So, what are your skeletons in the closet ;) ????

P.S.: BTW, I never found a tape saturation that came even close to that one we did in the 90s with our Nakamichi tape deck. This was the first and only time for me, that any "saturation thing" made sence to me. All that came later (in the digital domain of course) was just crap!!

jonheal

30 Jan 2015

90s: Got married. Had some babies. Spent some time in prison.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Some Desperate Glory

30 Jan 2015

I was singing and writing songs for an Industrial Rock band called Suture playing shows in the Bay Area of California.  Here's a live track:

Here's the description:

This Joy Division cover was recorded live in Berkeley, California on May 2, 1995. The bass is the lovely Korg M1, the synth sound in the chorus is the Sequential Prophet-600. The vocals are routed through a ProCo RAT-2 distortion pedal and a Radioshack Reverb, for that lo-fi effect. This track is included as a bonus track on the Suture album Sucking Chest Wound, originally released in 1996 on Cracksmoker Records. It is now LONG out of print.

Before that I was in various synthpop groups (Solid State and Image Factor).  
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Some Desperate Glory

30 Jan 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I just scrolled down my Soundcloud list and noticed two very old songs I once uploaded just for testing the "new service". I made them in the 90s together with my friends in the "pre plugin era". We had an Atari ST for MIDI, some hardware synths and a - applause! - digital mixer (some Yamaha stuff, can't remember the name)! All this was recorded to cassette tape (and later, when it was possible, transferred to DAT etc.).
Sounds really good and reminds me of the stuff I used to do in the early 90s back in high school days.  Fun memories.  Back then I understood my tools so much better than today.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2015

My 90's started with my take on EBM Industrial (with strong New Wave influence) as Aeroplastic Voice

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com ... stic-anger

I made a couple of New Age albums

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com/album/ages-new

and then swapped to what I called Proto-Techno under the name Column 3-57 which was really an earlier evolution of what I do now (Space Music/Space Pop)

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com ... collonades

Those links are compilations. You can see the full lists on my Discography

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/discography/

I think I kept myself amused for that decade.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

am0eba

30 Jan 2015

Times were tough and all I could afford was an old Fostex 4-ch cassette deck and a Yamaha QY-10 MIDI Sequencer/synth (Size of a VHS tape). I traded my old Fender Precision Bass to get a BOSS SE-50 Digital effects box, and laid this down using just these items and a Radio Shack dynamic mic. 

The digital file was ripped from the only cassette copy I had of the song, which I had played in my car stereo about a million times:

Long Road To Paradise

Here's another track I was working on and never finished, using the same gear:

Yesterday's FUture

Even earlier, in the late 80's, I made this using the same Fostex deck, with an Ensoniq Mirage and an ultra-cheapo Boss rhythm box:

Careful

I'm old enough now, not to be embarrassed to share these...

_Dave_

:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Some Desperate Glory

30 Jan 2015

Benedict wrote:My 90's started with my take on EBM Industrial (with strong New Wave influence) as Aeroplastic Voice

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com ... stic-anger
Cool stuff, Benedict!  In particular I think Death in You could have come right of the Front 242 Tyranny for You album!

Some Desperate Glory

30 Jan 2015

Tre Trelos wrote:Hey what about the 70s !! lol

Sorry for the poor quality - recorded in a 10x12 room into a boom box.  :-)

[soundcloud_track]http://soundcloud.com/tretrelos/glgb[/soundcloud_track]

This is a great song!  Even though it wasn't intentional the lo-fi recording really works.  This could have been a great David Bowie song from his Diamond Dogs days I think.  I'm hearing a similar vibe (except the voice of course) to maybe Drive-In Saturday or Panic in Detroit.  Good stuff!

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2015

Here's a track I wrote in 1995 on my Ensoniq ASR-10.  I'm in the process of re-recording tracks from this era into Reason, so there will be more soon.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

30 Jan 2015

Just changed the title of this topic form "What did you in the 90s" to "What did you in the past millennium" :D .

Because... I just found some live recordings of my band in the late 80s - early 90s. I didn't hear those tracks for years, but - hey! we've been pretty Progressive Rock :D !

http://znarfelectronix.de/tpa/SoLong.mp3

am0eba

30 Jan 2015

70's? Yes, this (at the now-defunct Boston School of Electronic Music, all analog, pre-MIDI):

(Again from very old, played-out cassettes), this one is a multi tracked extravaganza, an 8-track collaboration with Billy Brown:

Mechanism/Organism

and a live improv, with about 4 other guys in BSEM's STudio A, featuring a rare Oberheim 8-voice, an Oberheim 4-voice, a couple of Minimoogs, and a couple of ARP2600's.

Neural Impacter

_Dave_

"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:

am0eba

30 Jan 2015

Some great stuff here, guys! Thanks for sharing!

_Dave_

"F" the ineffable! 

liampatrickingram

30 Jan 2015

Here is the front and back cover of my first album circa 1995.  I quit the music industry the following year and got really into Lego.

Attachments
lpi.jpg
lpi.jpg (255.87 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

Tre Trelos

30 Jan 2015

liampatrickingram wrote:Here is the front and back cover of my first album circa 1995.  I quit the music industry the following year and got really into Lego.

LOL

Look at that thumb wrapped over the top.  Just like all the great blues players.
A natural in the making.

liampatrickingram

30 Jan 2015

Tre Trelos wrote: LOL

Look at that thumb wrapped over the top.  Just like all the great blues players.
A natural in the making.
HAHA, I've seen this photo hundreds of times and I only noticed that as I was uploading it - looks like I almost have my first G major chord down!

Marketblandings

31 Jan 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I just scrolled down my Soundcloud list and noticed two very old songs I once uploaded just for testing the "new service". I made them in the 90s together with my friends in the "pre plugin era". We had an Atari ST for MIDI, some hardware synths and a - applause! - digital mixer (some Yamaha stuff, can't remember the name)! All this was recorded to cassette tape (and later, when it was possible, transferred to DAT etc.).

So, here's the first one. We used Korg DW-8000, Roland D-20 and possibly a Doepfer 404 for the backings. Loops and all the sample fun comes from Emu ESI-32 and a bunch of sample CDs.

The second one: I did the playback without my fellows this time (the bass is Doepfer 404 - definitely!). I gave it to my friend Tö, and he played his guitar :shock: ...

So, what are your skeletons in the closet ;) ????

P.S.: BTW, I never found a tape saturation that came even close to that one we did in the 90s with our Nakamichi tape deck. This was the first and only time for me, that any "saturation thing" made sence to me. All that came later (in the digital domain of course) was just crap!!
I was not expecting such first rate stuff, Joshua! The first is full of the kind of fun that seems forgotten today (the blap, blap, blap, boing, boing stuff is inspired hilarity).
The second so melodic, beautifully paced and so very un-casette sounding.
Amazing. Astounding.

Marketblandings

31 Jan 2015

Me in 1994 on Yamaha QY-10 handheld gadget and good friend John Dunne on guitar.
Never-mind me! Listen to John on blazing guitar starting a little ways in! wow.
http://youtu.be/I4L3bvfenEQ

With totally unrelated pictures of cars.

motuscott

31 Jan 2015

1978, Max's Kansas City
A little punkish perhaps for this forum. 
Saved from a cassette board tape that miraculously survived those turbulent years.

Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

am0eba

31 Jan 2015

@marketblandings: Another QY-10 user! Yay!

These things may have been the "Reason" of the 90's!

_Dave_

"F" the ineffable! 

Marketblandings

31 Jan 2015

am0eba wrote:@marketblandings: Another QY-10 user! Yay!

These things may have been the "Reason" of the 90's!

_Dave_
How 'bout that! Now that I think about it, my piece had a QY-10 driving an MU-5. MU-5 was a look alike sound module with more and slightly better sounds.

• Information