FAWM 2015

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
EpiGenetik

19 Jan 2015

Hi folks,

http://fawm.org/

with regard to the above project, I'm hoping to do the writing stage of a new album during February - but only the writing stage. Due to University commitments, everything from sound selection through to mixing, engineering and mastering will be done some time later.

I'm interested in finding one or two people who want to collaborate on the writing part - essentially this will just be shoving a MIDI/Reason file back and forth a few times in February - then at the end we both have ownership of the file (I personally have no intention of selling the album, it will be given away for free), and we both can do our own final versions should we be able to.

Who fancies the idea?

Cheers
B

EpiGenetik

19 Jan 2015

Should point out that you don't need to be affiliated with FAWM or even registered, it's just that I might go looking for other collaborators there - this is a good time of years for this kind of shenanigan :)

atitlan

19 Jan 2015

I've done FAWM and 50/90 a few times.  It's a great community.  

I'll watch out for you when the FAWM site reopens.  I'm not sure whether I could add anything in a collaboration - most people on here seem to be far ahead of me in musicianship and production skills - but under FAWM conditions, who knows ...

EpiGenetik

19 Jan 2015

atitlan wrote: I'm not sure whether I could add anything in a collaboration - most people on here seem to be far ahead of me in musicianship and production skills - but under FAWM conditions, who knows ...
Don't worry dude, I'm so bad as a songwriter, that as a producer I've become a master of turd-polishing :)

The trick is to freeze it first :D

tibah

19 Jan 2015

Wow. Thanks for bringing this site up, seems a nice idea, may find the time to participate. :)

EpiGenetik

19 Jan 2015

I see there is another site/initiative with pretty much exactly the same goal. Might be worth checking out if there is a preference amongst those in here as to which site to go to, or if either offers any distinct advantage.
This is the link to Platzangst's post:
http://www.reasontalk.com/post/rpm-chal ... 1285853481

platzangst

20 Jan 2015

Lowlifebware wrote:I see there is another site/initiative with pretty much exactly the same goal. Might be worth checking out if there is a preference amongst those in here as to which site to go to, or if either offers any distinct advantage.
Since the FAWM site seems to be in low-info mode, perhaps you could fill in some details. But as I understand it, FAWM is for writing an album, primarily, while RPM is intent on recording an album. (If I'm wrong about that, let me know.) As I mentioned in the other thread, some RPM folks write their albums beforehand, but others write in the same time as they record. I guess since RPM's minimum is 10 songs, it'd be possible for someone to do an RPM Challenge but not quite qualify for FAWM...

EpiGenetik

20 Jan 2015

platzangst wrote: Since the FAWM site seems to be in low-info mode, perhaps you could fill in some details. But as I understand it, FAWM is for writing an album, primarily, while RPM is intent on recording an album. (If I'm wrong about that, let me know.) As I mentioned in the other thread, some RPM folks write their albums beforehand, but others write in the same time as they record. I guess since RPM's minimum is 10 songs, it'd be possible for someone to do an RPM Challenge but not quite qualify for FAWM...
Yup, FAWM is about writing not recording, so I guess if you only wish to record stuff you already have then RPM is the way to go. I think the idea with FAWM is to try and do it all, or at least as much as possible, but personally I'm just doing it for the writing aspect.

As for qualifying for FAWM, I don't think it's meant in such a competitive sense. I thought the idea was to challenge yourself, I could be wrong on this though. I personally have no interest in trying to win the thing (not to mention lack of time), I just want to get focused for a bit.

platzangst

20 Jan 2015

Lowlifebware wrote: As for qualifying for FAWM, I don't think it's meant in such a competitive sense. I thought the idea was to challenge yourself, I could be wrong on this though. I personally have no interest in trying to win the thing (not to mention lack of time), I just want to get focused for a bit.
No, I understand, and there's no prizes or anything for RPM either. I was just thinking that, since I compose my own RPM Challenge albums as I make them, then in effect I have both written and recorded an album in February - though, since some of my material is longish in duration, I don't wind up with the requisite number of songs for the FAWM challenge.

atitlan

20 Jan 2015

FAWM is about writing 14 new songs during February.  As it is essentially a personal challenge, that is open to interpretation.  A song can be a set of lyrics, an instrumental or a complete song - generally people aim for a rough demo.  There's normally quite a few people who are lyricists only and they will always welcome someone willing to bring their song to life by composing some music for it and recording it.

That leads onto another unwritten understanding of FAWM - the 50% rule.  It is generally considered acceptable to bring a part completed song into FAWM as long as completing it is greater than 50% of the task and that is done within February (it's also good form to say in your song notes that the song came about in this way).

Having looked at the rules for RPM, it might be nice to enter both - 10 tracks or 35 mins gets you your RPM album and then top it up to 14 for FAWM.  The advantage RPM has is that you have the time-based 'winning post', which suits longer tracks better.

EpiGenetik

22 Jan 2015

atitlan wrote:10 tracks or 35 mins gets you your RPM album ....  The advantage RPM has is that you have the time-based 'winning post', which suits longer tracks better.
I used to do a lot of house and techno which was strictly for dj sport, and thus needed spare beats both leading and trailing - I could comfortably have done 35 mins inside 5 or 6 songs! Could get as low as 4 if I put my mind to it. :D

EpiGenetik

22 Jan 2015

platzangst wrote: I was just thinking that, since I compose my own RPM Challenge albums as I make them, then in effect I have both written and recorded an album in February
Yeah, it's a concept of modern music really that the composition and sound design are very much in the same grey area these days.

For me, one of the aims is to push myself out of my normal way of working, which would be the same as yours in many ways I suspect. 

atitlan

22 Jan 2015

Lowlifebware wrote:
I used to do a lot of house and techno which was strictly for dj sport, and thus needed spare beats both leading and trailing - I could comfortably have done 35 mins inside 5 or 6 songs! Could get as low as 4 if I put my mind to it. :D
I'm sure there must have been some prog-rockers in RPM who've just done a single 35 minute track.  Sort of 'Echoes' and a bit.

In 2013 (I think) someone did a 45 minute classical/soundtrack piece as part of 50/90 (FAWM's summer incarnation)

EpiGenetik

22 Jan 2015

atitlan wrote:
I'm sure there must have been some prog-rockers in RPM who've just done a single 35 minute track.  Sort of 'Echoes' and a bit.

In 2013 (I think) someone did a 45 minute classical/soundtrack piece as part of 50/90 (FAWM's summer incarnation)

Actually, I'm now wondering about an over the top "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" kinda thing. There's a couple of topics in my life that could have that kinda vibe - thankfully it's all in retrospect now though.

Right at this moment I'm really just thinking about different ideas to set the emotions up for quick writing, and maybe doing a part I-IX thing for one or two of them may end up being appropriate.

Thanks for putting this idea in my head dude :) - If you (or indeed anyone else reading this) fancy collaborating in any way let me know.

BPGeez

22 Jan 2015

With Discover, FAWM should be an absolute delight for Propellerheads product users! Let's get it this year!
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

EpiGenetik

24 Jan 2015

BPGeez wrote:With Discover, FAWM should be an absolute delight for Propellerheads product users! Let's get it this year!
I'm really not convinced it will be if I'm honest, or at least the experienced collaborators won't find it to be adding that much to the experience. Years ago in the PUF I ran a collaboration thing and we always came back to the idea that whichever IM facility allowed file sharing was going to be the best way of working.

Discover is good for remixing and rejigging but for writing you really need to be able to pass a small Reason file with just a few patches and some MIDI back and forth quickly and repeatedly. After a bit using Discover I notice that versioning starts to become a problem unless you've worked something out for nomenclature beforehand.

EpiGenetik

31 Jan 2015

K folks,

February starts tomorrow, so if anyone else is interested in a songwriting collaboration, then please let me know via PM and we'll sort out a format :)

Good luck and may the force be with you all

Cheers
B

• Information