(Drum & Bass) Coyote Kisses - Illusion (RBM's Phantasmagoric Remix)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
killhamster

02 Jul 2024

I'm part of a little community of musicians in Portland that meet up over zoom every week and share our progress with various projects and we occasionally have challenges (e.g. make a song in 60 minutes, collaborate on a song, revive an old song, etc.) and this week it was to remix a song. A new member offered up some stems and I got to work, only finding out later that he was part of a pretty big act in the 2010s. Dude didn't have an ego about it at all and was really stoked when I delivered this:

I'm also fiddling around with a dub version but it's nowhere near developed yet :puf_unhappy:

PhillipOrdonez

04 Jul 2024

Nice. Love the drums.

ShadowMatriks

04 Jul 2024

Cool vocal chops. Yeah man it bangs!

I see you have took on the notoriously difficult task of mixing old breaks with new cleaner compressed samples/loops. Always tough to get good results without it being jarring and sounding like two different tracks. I know because I've tried it with varying success, it's always a lot of work! Mixing modern basses with old breaks is tricky as well, a lot them don't cooperate and have to be beaten into submission!
Can't login to my old profile for some reason :?

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2024

Really nice work, echo what Phillip says the breaks work really nicely.

RTFX

06 Jul 2024

Great track!
Sounds well polished.
The switch ups at 1:39 and 3:40 were welcome surprises.
Imho the kick in the dnb part at 3:40 triggers the sidechain bit too much too my taste, resulting in ducking too much and breaking down that wall of sound you had beforehand.
But thats my taste. Could be done deliberately.
Keep it up!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

Kov

06 Jul 2024

Like that is uses 3 different drumbeats/sounds.

killhamster

08 Jul 2024

ShadowMatriks wrote:
04 Jul 2024
Cool vocal chops. Yeah man it bangs!

I see you have took on the notoriously difficult task of mixing old breaks with new cleaner compressed samples/loops. Always tough to get good results without it being jarring and sounding like two different tracks. I know because I've tried it with varying success, it's always a lot of work! Mixing modern basses with old breaks is tricky as well, a lot them don't cooperate and have to be beaten into submission!
Kov wrote:
06 Jul 2024
Like that is uses 3 different drumbeats/sounds.
I have so many D&B breaks saved from over the years and love everything from jungle to techstep to liquid and tons in between that I can't imagine not mixing them together from time to time :cool: With this song it was pretty easy to kind of delineate between verses and choruses and use different beats for them since they were pretty distinct in the original and there were already drops built there. I did know I wanted the chorus to ramp into overdrive and just go hard as hell; I can't stand a drop with a huge build that just leads back to a normal beat instead of something bombastic.
RTFX wrote:
06 Jul 2024
Great track!
Sounds well polished.
The switch ups at 1:39 and 3:40 were welcome surprises.
Imho the kick in the dnb part at 3:40 triggers the sidechain bit too much too my taste, resulting in ducking too much and breaking down that wall of sound you had beforehand.
But thats my taste. Could be done deliberately.
Keep it up!
I probably did have the compressor clamp down a little too tightly there :puf_unhappy: I was feeling lazy and should have rigged up a dynamic EQ instead of just a sidechain there since the bass bus contains so much higher frequency energy. I might go back and fix that when I have the free time to spend on something more elaborate.

Thanks y'all for checking it out, I had a ton of fun making this one and it's been pretty well received. I just published an EP and I have an entire album's worth of material I'm finishing up too; it's been a very productive spring and summer :puf_bigsmile:

• Information