Where could I take this unfinished track next? Feedback wanted

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2023

This is an old unfinished track I decided to get back into. It's not the most action filled piece of music there is, but I kind of like it for what it is.
I normally don't write this kind of music and I feel open to suggestions with this one.
I've updated and added some things to it, but I don't really know where to go next. Normally with more straight forward songs I have an easier time with that.
Is it the kind of song that would benefit from musical parts or melodies coming back or would it be better to just have it change constantly like a small musical journey.
Any ideas are welcome. :puf_smile:

Rising Night Wave

26 Nov 2023

have you thought to leave it as just it is? its cool. its cool as it is. simple song. short and effective. no complications.

i would leave ti as it is.

or!

lets say this would be an intro to next song composed with same lanes/sounds.
just add drum kick line. and with exsting lanes/sounds make a new song.
just dont complicate. make it simple. or lets say add additional simple 1-2-3 lanes. but as said do not complicate.

this short peace of song is great. i like it.
so thumbs up from me.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2023

Rising Night Wave wrote:
26 Nov 2023
have you thought to leave it as just it is? its cool. its cool as it is. simple song. short and effective. no complications.

i would leave ti as it is.

or!

lets say this would be an intro to next song composed with same lanes/sounds.
just add drum kick line. and with exsting lanes/sounds make a new song.
just dont complicate. make it simple. or lets say add additional simple 1-2-3 lanes. but as said do not complicate.

this short peace of song is great. i like it.
so thumbs up from me.
Thanks for the input.
Yes I do think I'd like to keep the song fairly simple. It's probably a good idea not to complicate things too much.
Don't think I'll leave it as it is though. I'd really like to expand it in some way.

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2023

For me it seems quite spooky and laid back almost ambient vibes. If you have no set idea on genre then I would suggest perhaps either expanding it as an ambient track or it would lend itself to heading in a movie soundtrack/cinematic theme based around horror/Halloween.

robussc

27 Nov 2023

The drums (and effects) are giving it a bit of a dub reggae vibe, so I'd love to hear it with some reggae style beat under it. I think the bells might be good for the bridge/outro?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2023

Just updated the link. I've added the part at 1:40 which wasn't there in he first version.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2023

Popey wrote:
27 Nov 2023
For me it seems quite spooky and laid back almost ambient vibes. If you have no set idea on genre then I would suggest perhaps either expanding it as an ambient track or it would lend itself to heading in a movie soundtrack/cinematic theme based around horror/Halloween.
Yeah I think keeping it somewhat ambient is a good idea. I don't mind having some melodic parts, but perhaps not in the most "catchy" way, more in a way that adds to the ambience of the track.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Nov 2023

robussc wrote:
27 Nov 2023
The drums (and effects) are giving it a bit of a dub reggae vibe, so I'd love to hear it with some reggae style beat under it. I think the bells might be good for the bridge/outro?
Yep the hihats have delay and also some sort of randomized fritz patch going on to make things a bit more loose and unpredictable.
I like the idea of ending with the bells. I'll try that out once I get that far in the track. Thanks. :puf_smile:
I don't see it getting a reggae beat though. Not that there's anything wrong with reggae. But I don't think I want this piece to have an established genre associated with it.

selig
RE Developer

27 Nov 2023

Sounds like a music cue from a really interesting film as is, nice work!
So many ways you could take it from there, just try the first thing that comes into your head.
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2023

selig wrote:
27 Nov 2023
Sounds like a music cue from a really interesting film as is, nice work!
So many ways you could take it from there, just try the first thing that comes into your head.
Thanks. I suspect I just need to exercise some patience with this track and try several things out before I settle. Not always my biggest strenght in music making as I like to make decisions rather quickly. As you say a track like this can probably go in many directions.

jam-s

29 Nov 2023

I think this track could also go pretty well in the kind of direction of Coldcut & Hexstatic - Timber

(I'm mainly thinking of the vocal atmospheres, chainsaw sounds and metal impacts.)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2023

jam-s wrote:
29 Nov 2023
I think this track could also go pretty well in the kind of direction of Coldcut & Hexstatic - Timber

(I'm mainly thinking of the vocal atmospheres, chainsaw sounds and metal impacts.)
Interesting ideas. Thanks. I might not end up with any chainsaws for my track. However I do like the idea of having something more sample based. And having something more "voicy" might also be interesting to try out. I'll play around with it and see what happens. I think my Ambi generators might be a good start.

• Information